Ad Widget

Collapse

carbs are in everything!!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • carbs are in everything!!

    Are carbohydrates that are in vegetables like broccoli and carrots, the same as the carbohydrates that are in things like bread chips? I am trying to keep my carb intake around 50 grams per day but it seems like everything is loaded with carbs. If you Google search “carbs in carrots,” it says one medium carrot is 6 grams of carbs!! One serving of broccoli is 10 grams! I feel like if I have 2 carrots and a serving of broccoli than I am already half way through my carb intake for the day. Then if I take into account the kale shakes that I make… How can anyone get into ketosis when carbs are literally in everything except meat?

    Am I thinking about this incorrectly? In primal blueprint, Mark says you can eat veggies to your heart’s content. So what is the rule of thumb here for achieving ketosis? What and how much should I eat to attain ketosis. If I eat too many veggies will it throw me out of ketosis or stop me from getting into it?

    I'd appreciate any insight

    Thanks!!
    Last edited by tk421; 04-14-2017, 01:46 PM.

  • #2
    Yes and no. "Carbs" are a widely divergent set of substances ranging from the rapidly absorbed, like glucose and sucrose, to the completely unabsorbed, like cellulose and lignans. The carbs in carrots, for example, include both sugar and insoluble fiber, plus traces of points in between.

    Mark Sisson isn't advocating ketosis when he says that you can eat all of the vegetables that you want. However, if you want to achieve ketosis for some reason, then you'll have to minimize or cut a lot of healthy, beneficial, and filling foods out of your diet. On the other hand since both increased protein and decreased food variety diminish appetite, you may find yourself losing weight, if that's your goal.

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-food-list.html

      Most non-starchy vegetables are low in carbs. Choose organic vegetables or grow your own to avoid pesticide residues. Avoid the starchy vegetables such as corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and most winter squash as they are much higher in carbs. Limit sweeter vegetables such as tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and summer squashes. This list is by no means comprehensive, so if there is a green vegetable you like that is not on this low carb food list, feel free to include it.

      • Alfalfa Sprouts
      • Any leafy green vegetable
      • Asparagus
      • Avocado
      • Bamboo Shoots
      • Bean Sprouts
      • Beet Greens
      • Bell peppers*
      • Bok choy
      • Broccoli
      • Brussels sprouts
      • Cabbage
      • Carrots*
      • Cauliflower
      • Celery
      • Celery root
      • Chard
      • Chives
      • Collard greens
      • Cucumbers
      • Dandelion greens
      • Dill pickles
      • Garlic
      • Kale
      • Leeks
      • Lettuces and salad greens (arugula, Boston lettuce, chicory, endive, escarole, fennel, mache, radicchio, romaine, sorrel.)
      • Mushrooms
      • Olives
      • Onions*
      • Radishes
      • Sauerkraut (watch for added sugar)
      • Scallions
      • Shallots
      • Snow Peas
      • Spinach
      • Sprouts
      • Summer squash*
      • Swiss chard
      • Tomatoes*
      • Turnips


      * Limit amounts of these vegetables, as they are higher in carbs.

      Hope this link and info help you in your quest. Good luck!
      "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

      Comment


      • #4
        So, lovebird, am I allowed to eat air? And even if you eliminated every possible carb (they lurk in meat and eggs, too) you would still have the insulin response of protein, which is the reason to minimize carbs.

        "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

        Comment


        • #5
          Carbs are in everything! But so are protein and fat.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
            So, lovebird, am I allowed to eat air? And even if you eliminated every possible carb (they lurk in meat and eggs, too) you would still have the insulin response of protein, which is the reason to minimize carbs.

            "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
            OnTheBayou, you can eat whatever you like. I don't care whatsoever. All I did was answer a question of someone that asked about keto, more specific about the carbs in veggies. Personally I prefer to eat the things that work for me, which do include carb/protein/fat, and are not restricted to follow somebody elses rules. BTW the text was quoted from the link I posted, not my words. Everybody is free to search for answers and adjust their lifestyle or eating to what they need at that particular time in their life. I don't have all the answers, unlike others around here, that seem to think their way is the only/best one. Whatever floats your boat.
            "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lovebird View Post

              OnTheBayou, you can eat whatever you like. I don't care whatsoever. All I did was answer a question of someone that asked about keto, more specific about the carbs in veggies. Personally I prefer to eat the things that work for me, which do include carb/protein/fat, and are not restricted to follow somebody elses rules. BTW the text was quoted from the link I posted, not my words. Everybody is free to search for answers and adjust their lifestyle or eating to what they need at that particular time in their life. I don't have all the answers, unlike others around here, that seem to think their way is the only/best one. Whatever floats your boat.
              It was just such a long list...............

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post

                It was just such a long list...............
                I'm sure your list (of the foods you actually eat) would be even longer... as is mine...
                "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tk421 View Post
                  Am I thinking about this incorrectly? In primal blueprint, Mark says you can eat veggies to your heart’s content.
                  Mark doesn't recommend a ketogenic diet. If you want to go on a ketogenic diet, you will have to find other resources. There are plenty that a Google search will provide.

                  So what is the rule of thumb here for achieving ketosis? What and how much should I eat to attain ketosis. If I eat too many veggies will it throw me out of ketosis or stop me from getting into it?
                  How many carbs it takes someone to get into ketosis varies. 50 grams of carbs is toward the high end. You may have to go as low as 20 grams. The good news is that once you are in ketosis, you can slowly add more carbs back in, a few at a time. Of course, a ketogenic diet will still be much more restrictive than most people need for their goals.

                  [P.S. You may have to restrict protein too, in the first few days, because protein can be converted to glucose. Aim for 80% fat.]

                  If you are serious about it, you can buy a ketone meter.

                  At the risk of sounding snarky and unhelpful, I will say again that, in my opinion, a ketogenic diet is unnecessary for most people and will cause more problems than it solves. If you firmly believe that you are in the minority that will find permanent ketosis a blessing, then good luck to you.
                  Last edited by sharperhawk; 04-15-2017, 07:46 AM.
                  I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post

                    It was just such a long list...............
                    It was a list of vegetables to eat. I would think that lots of options would be good (no one needs to eat all of them all the time). What's your concern?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post

                      Mark doesn't recommend a ketogenic diet. If you want to go on a ketogenic diet, you will have to find other resources. There are plenty that a Google search will provide.
                      He doesn't recommend a keto diet? That's what I took from his book though. Did I misunderstand it? I thought that his active lifestyle + being in ketosis is why he is so shredded? Isn't Mark Sisson in ketosis more often than is not?

                      Also, don't you have to be in ketosis for that whole benefit of appetite suppression? Where you can skip a meal or two here and there and not be starving?

                      Thanks for all your insight everyone. Just trying to figure out the path I want to take.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tk421 View Post

                        He doesn't recommend a keto diet? That's what I took from his book though. Did I misunderstand it? I thought that his active lifestyle + being in ketosis is why he is so shredded? Isn't Mark Sisson in ketosis more often than is not?

                        Also, don't you have to be in ketosis for that whole benefit of appetite suppression? Where you can skip a meal or two here and there and not be starving?

                        Thanks for all your insight everyone. Just trying to figure out the path I want to take.
                        He recommends 50-100g of carbs a day for "easy fat loss". This is not ketotic levels. He recommends dipping into ketosis for a couple or few days at a time for "acclerated fat loss", but then recommends doing carb refeeds with those....


                        Its all right here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

                        There are plenty or good reasons to enter ketosis, but no, the primal blueprint is not the best resource for living a ketogenic lifestyle....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          They still mess up posted links.... for some reason they end up double...

                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/
                          "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lovebird View Post
                            They still mess up posted links.... for some reason they end up double...

                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/
                            Originally posted by lovebird View Post
                            They still mess up posted links.... for some reason they end up double...

                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/
                            Yes, ever since this Nutrition forum finally reopened. I generally cut a duplicate out, but since you mention it, I'm leaving it in. I don't know if browser matters, I'm using Firefox.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                              Yes, ever since this Nutrition forum finally reopened. I generally cut a duplicate out, but since you mention it, I'm leaving it in. I don't know if browser matters, I'm using Firefox.
                              I'm on Firefox too... and somehow my earlier link posted just fine.... without any editing by me... but yes... the quotes are double (again? or just something one gets used to correcting... *sigh*)

                              "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X