X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LindsayO
    started a topic Sugar Addiction

Sugar Addiction

Hello, I am overweight, pre-diabetic, and extremely addicted to sugar. I'm considering eating a square of dark chocolate every time I get a craving, but I'm not sure if that will help or prolong my addiction. I would like to be "primal" in the sense that I know dark chocolate is acceptable, but I'm wondering if I've missed the ability to indulge in that given my pre-diabetes? I do want to be a fat burner, but all my attempts of going cold turkey off sugar have been unsuccessful. Perhaps just shove some berries in my mouth when I have a craving for sugar? Has anyone else been able to remove a horrible sugar addiction? If so, how did you do it? Background info: I'm a recovered drug addict (clean for 15 years) and I've clearly switched addictions.

• Paysan
    replied
    Spoken like a true non-sugar addict! Heheheh. I agree , however, that goal-oriented people with a strong motive to quit can overcome any addiction, but it can be brutal and beyond many people whose will power is greater than their won't power. (As in, I WILL eat this if it's in the house.)

Leave a comment:

• Georgina Reals
    replied
    I think its not really bad addiction after all. I've known many who are very addicted to sugar coated foods specially chocolates. We all know that too much is bad for the health and controlling yourself is the key there. Its like quitting smoking or alcohol intake. Its hard to stop consuming these stuffs at first but if you are eager enough to stop it, then you can absolutely accomplish your desire in getting rid of it. You just need to divert your being addicted to these stuffs to something more beneficial. Maybe you try to take away all those sweets and ask for someone to help you control your eating habits. Be open to your family or relatives about this issue and let them prepare you something healthy that will satisfy your cravings. Maybe a healthy potato snacks or delicious salad. Also, engage yourself to sports and make yourself busy so that you will not think of sweet foods that will just adds up to your addiction.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
    Eat fruits when you crave sweets badly (they are healthy with the fibers, minerals and vitamins in them) instead of candy and junk food. Don't buy or store any processed sweets. Only stick to natural, whole food carbs. I don't think carbs are bad for us at all - in the end you will just binge on crazy stuff like toothpaste if you deny yourself any sweet tasting foods. Berries are great during summer for instance.
    That is a thought, but I also think we have bred fruits to the point of being nothing but candy.
    Banana's for example - they used to have tons of seeds, I have in fact eaten them. Then they only had them in the center, then that too disappeared. WTF ????
    The Apple I ate a few weeks ago oddly was devoid of any flavor, no sweetness, no tartness nothing. Like eating flour. No idea if it had any nutrition that's supposed to keep the doctor away or not ... but if they've messed up that fruit so badly that it feels like Styrofoam and tastes like flour - what else is missing.
    I ate a plum that was nearly raw and that seemed OK. Hopefully we haven't messed everything up. I have a neighbor that's got a couple of crab apple trees, he told me we could have them cos its too much and he cant eat nearly 1/10th.

Anyway Goji berries are my current top of the list. I will plant em and see what turns up, I am not earing much fruit for the rest of this year likely. So next spring would be perfect if they even grow that fast.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• ToldUzo
    replied
    Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
    I tried to get away from it, and am finally managing day 5. I actually lost 90+ lb and found that easier than breaking my sweet tooth. The final part I had to get around - toothpaste and mouthwash. Yea, worse than candy my friend. I was craving mouth wash so much without even realizing it I'd mouth wash 7-8 times a day. My wife was really admiring my newfound hygiene. Yea, little did she know I was in it for the erythritol, the sucralose and the mint (which does have sugar BTW).

My fear is - OK I kill sugar habit by not having sweet for 3-4 weeks etc etc. Then what happens when I eat say a pineapple (cos I sometimes crave it - specifically pineapples) do I entirely relapse ??? Atleast now I know what to eliminate. Yea toothpaste - I am into powder from my childhood like I have used before. Reminds me of home.
    Eat fruits when you crave sweets badly (they are healthy with the fibers, minerals and vitamins in them) instead of candy and junk food. Don't buy or store any processed sweets. Only stick to natural, whole food carbs. I don't think carbs are bad for us at all - in the end you will just binge on crazy stuff like toothpaste if you deny yourself any sweet tasting foods. Berries are great during summer for instance.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    Evolution wise we are predisposed to eating sweet food. It was what we needed to run from a saber tooth tiger or run after a wildebeest. It also signified that the food we were eating isn't rotten and that it was ready (ripe vs unripe) etc etc.
    The british first and then the entire world increased that supply a 100 fold by planting sugar cane and now corn on every square of land they got their hands on. Food corporatons made it worse by putting it in everything. Self control is nearly impossible if you can not get away from it.

I tried to get away from it, and am finally managing day 5. I actually lost 90+ lb and found that easier than breaking my sweet tooth. The final part I had to get around - toothpaste and mouthwash. Yea, worse than candy my friend. I was craving mouth wash so much without even realizing it I'd mouth wash 7-8 times a day. My wife was really admiring my newfound hygiene. Yea, little did she know I was in it for the erythritol, the sucralose and the mint (which does have sugar BTW).

My fear is - OK I kill sugar habit by not having sweet for 3-4 weeks etc etc. Then what happens when I eat say a pineapple (cos I sometimes crave it - specifically pineapples) do I entirely relapse ??? Atleast now I know what to eliminate. Yea toothpaste - I am into powder from my childhood like I have used before. Reminds me of home.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• Neckhammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Artiepoo View Post

Why isn't everyone obese then? It is called self. control.
    You and bean should start a club. Your insight and understanding is genuinely prolific!

Leave a comment:

• Paysan
    replied
    And genes. And environment, external and internal. Paleo and low carb diets give people their best shot at containing sugar cravings. That includes fermented sugars;ie, alcohol. BTW, honey consumption is self-limiting - past a certain variable amount, it causes nausea and vomiting.Fortunately, the hunters who gathered a beehive's supply also took wax, pollen and propolis in their haul, and could share these with everyone. Nor was it available daily, which happy fact may have led to mild over consumption on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• kelbel
    replied
    Hi Lindsay, I actually think you're on the right track. Substituting a lesser evil has worked for me better than trying to rely on willpower alone.

When I quit smoking, I gorged on junk food. It was the only thing that came close to scratching the itch, and it worked. The more I indulged, the better I could resist smoking. Then when I quit junk food, I turned to fruit and dark chocolate, and it worked. Now when I get sugar cravings, I just eat something filling, like nuts or a hardboiled egg.

The cravings do diminish over time, especially as you spend more time on a paleo diet. I did have to rely on willpower to stay focused on my end goal - at a certain point I had to decide to stop the smoking, the junk food, the dark chocolate, etc. but having a substitute - a "lesser evil" is what made me successful.

Leave a comment:

• Artiepoo
    replied
    Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post

Evolution programmed homo sapiens with no sugar control; when you find it, you eat it all until it is gone. This is why corporations always say "just exercise control, you did it to yourself", when their marketing plan is based on that not being true.

Evolution programmed homo sapiens with no sugar control; when you find it, you eat it all until it is gone. This is why corporations always say "just exercise control, you did it to yourself", when their marketing plan is based on that not being true.
    Why isn't everyone obese then? It is called self. control.

Leave a comment:

• KimchiNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
    Seriously though, who binges on pure sugar by itself?
    I wasn't even aware people bought pure sugar anymore?

It's in everything now (stat is something like 75% of grocery store items), that's how "food products" work, people can't stop cause of the sugar. Put in more, sell more products.

Leave a comment:

• Neckhammer
    replied
    Originally posted by JBean View Post
    I liked Neckhammer's suggestion to substitute bacon for chocolate. At 540 kcal per 100gm of bacon instead of 540 kcal per 100gm of dark chocolate, you have a big caloric savings, plus the salt/fat/sweet combination in bacon is not nearly as attractive to the brain as the sugar/fat combination in chocolate. /sarcasm
    First....my post stated nothing in regards to dark chocolate. This isn't even a reading comprehension mistake on your part. It's flat out fabrication or stupidity. I actually don't think your stupid, but you can take your pick.

Second If I took everything I know or ever learned about human physiology, neurology, psychology and biochemistry and magically forgot it.....then read exactly one article on calorie countint your statement totally makes sense!/not sarcasm

Since it seems everything must be spelled out for you (apparently context clues were not enough) that recommendation to replace sugar with "bacon and exercise" was not about calories. Like a good teacher I'm just going to tell you to go back and reread until you get it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-29-2017, 06:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sharperhawk
    replied
    Evolution programmed homo sapiens with no sugar control, the point is that when you find it, you eat it all until it is gone. This is why corporations always say "just exercise control, you did it to yourself", when their marketing plan is based on that not being true.
    Every morning, I try to limit myself to two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee. Then I end up dumping in the whole 4-lb bag!

Seriously though, who binges on pure sugar by itself? As Elliot said, it's the combination of more than one rewarding substance -- sugar, salt, fat -- and properties such as "mouth feel" and low work time (including prep and even chewing).

Leave a comment:

• Rig D
    replied
    Agree with JBean's last comment. For my N=1, I found that my sugar cravings gradually, steadily reduced over a period of a few months by adhering closely to the PB food guidelines, and allowing myself to have the occasional sweet thing. Today, I still will indulge in the occasional ice cream, chocolate, etc. but find it very easy to keep it as an occasional thing, with smaller portions.

Leave a comment:

• JBean
    replied
    LindsayO, if it helps you to make better food choices by telling yourself that sugar is "addictive" or "toxic", then do so. If it makes the problem seem bigger and harder to overcome by applying those adjectives, then don't apply them. For me (not necessarily for you), telling myself that "I can never eat sugar", just makes me think about eating sugar. On the other hand, knowing that I can eat some ice cream when I can "afford" it in my calorie budget, makes it easy to pass it up when I can't afford it, because even if I can't have it today, I can have it soon. Some people who have responded to you here seem to be indicating that it works better for them to believe that sugar must be avoided at all costs. You'll have to decide what narrative about sugar works best for yourself.

I liked Neckhammer's suggestion to substitute bacon for chocolate. At 540 kcal per 100gm of bacon instead of 540 kcal per 100gm of dark chocolate, you have a big caloric savings, plus the salt/fat/sweet combination in bacon is not nearly as attractive to the brain as the sugar/fat combination in chocolate. /sarcasm

Leave a comment:

Working...
X