Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your body know you have eaten X number of calories etc

I did some googling and I cant find the answer.

Lets say you eat a 500 calorie Burger. Has fat, protein and carbs and other micro nutrients and some chemicals.

How does your body know you've eaten that ? And the ratio's etc etc.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

• srinath_69
    replied
    The other interesting thing is somewhere between days 3-5 after starting a fast all protein catabolism almost goes to 0 from the way my body feels.
    Burning fat you almost feel like you're clear and focused and not even deterred by food presence/smell.

I can even cook and serve food to my son/wife and not be tempted to eat.

Also ketostix that were off and on deep purple from day 2 turn a lighter shade of purple. Sort of like your body is not having fits and starts, its on cruise control.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    [QUOTE=OnTheBayou;n3001055]

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post

The critical distinction was the word, "buff." As in well muscled. Plenty of men at 6%, no muscle. Not even in a camp.

You didn't understand what I was saying. Concentration camp will cause you to get to 6%.
    You can not get buff from there without food, exercise at a minimum. Unless you walk in very buff under all that fat. Now I wasn't too bad when I started.

If I walked into a C.Camp @ 250 lb and they stopped the C.camp when I got to 140-135lb, I'd have walked out of there very non emaciated looking and with 4 of a 6 pack. However they also would have not stopped till I was under 100 lb and likely dead.

So your assertion "no buff 6%" in concentration camp does not poke a hole in the fasting theory, it pokes a hole - well in the possible theory that someone may propose that you can get buff without food or exercise.

Your conflating of these 2 theories reminds me of another fallacy- there are no shootings at police stations. The reason as many would have you believe is not that everyone in a police station is armed, its the fact that no one who isn't a policeman can enter there with a gun. Its not the 1000 guns in the place, its the 1 metal detector @ outside the door.
    In India there have been shootings at police stations a plenty in the 70's.

As per Dr Fung There is a small graph for protein catabolism.
    Is it muscle ??? or skin or other dead random tissue or the weakest of the muscle or the strongest of the muscle ??? I don't know, I can only imagine it doesn't eat the youngest and strongest muscle or any other tissue. Its likely eating non fat tissue that was old and decrepit. Anything else would make 0 sense evolution wise.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post

Mmmmmm But ....

There are 6% Body fat people in concentration camps.

Now, to be buff you need to work out like mad and eat like a king and have to time it right etc etc etc -

The fastest way to buff is almost a blue printed method - work out in fasted state, wait 2 more hours and eat a mixed macro low carb meal that just barely covers your daily requirement and go to bed when the insulin spike gets you sleepy (45-90 min later). Several people including Terry Crews and Keith Harmon as well as 1000's of others use this method.

So when concentration camps deliver nice large kale salads with a whole roasted salmon on top or a good 18oz Tbone as well as the 20-30 pieces of equipment (OK OK free weights and bars will do for a lot of it but need equipment cos of the numbers) then you can ask about buff people with 6% BF.

Didn't we have this argument earlier ???? maybe it was a different forum I was on.

Thanks.
    Srinath.
    [QUOTE=srinath_69;n3001044]

The critical distinction was the word, "buff." As in well muscled. Plenty of men at 6%, no muscle. Not even in a camp.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    And do the ones who have fasted not been at one point 5-6% BF and all their original muscle intact ? Do we have no evidence of that ?
    The concentration camp analogy is bogus. Its not fasting, its starvation. They didn't care to monitor them when they were in the single digits and re-feed them.

I'm asking because I came very very close. I better get pics on my next pass @ 150 or 140 or whatever. I am very very reluctant to get pics of myself.

Do we have pics of what the conc. camp prisoners were like at that point ? did someone get pics of where someone started as a 250lb guy like me ended as a 130lb guy with 6% BF before being starved further to be 100 lb ?

I know for a fact you will end up ~10% and look very ripped. 4 out of the 6 pack will show with no effort really.
    I know cos I've done it.
    You also can end up in the high 40's% for muscle. Again I did that too. Though that was with IF and working out like a maniac.

I'll better get pics, and I done have nothing but the most general pics of me when I was fat.

A concentration camp isn't a controlled experiment where they test the people for muscle mass and feed them the right food to get them to thrive.
    Fasting out of free will has that factor and that is huge.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• sharperhawk
    replied
    If muscle is not touched (or barely touched) until all fat is gone, then you would expect starved prisoners to go through a buff phase, before going on to lose their muscle.

There is a difference between being able to survive prolonged starvation and thriving on it. Yes, we can survive it, up to a point. Yet we don't thrive on it.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post

There are no buff, 6% body fat people in concentration camps.
    Mmmmmm But ....

There are 6% Body fat people in concentration camps.

Now, to be buff you need to work out like mad and eat like a king and have to time it right etc etc etc -

The fastest way to buff is almost a blue printed method - work out in fasted state, wait 2 more hours and eat a mixed macro low carb meal that just barely covers your daily requirement and go to bed when the insulin spike gets you sleepy (45-90 min later). Several people including Terry Crews and Keith Harmon as well as 1000's of others use this method.

So when concentration camps deliver nice large kale salads with a whole roasted salmon on top or a good 18oz Tbone as well as the 20-30 pieces of equipment (OK OK free weights and bars will do for a lot of it but need equipment cos of the numbers) then you can ask about buff people with 6% BF.

Didn't we have this argument earlier ???? maybe it was a different forum I was on.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by WestCoastFire View Post

This is so wrong.. like so so so so wrong.

From an evolution standpoint, this would make 0 sense. Food is scarce, so the body simply doesn't just whither away making it harder and harder to obtain food, to the point it's no longer doable, so the last option is to lay there and wait to die unless someone brings you food..... That is beyond ridiculous.

The human growth hormone shoots up something like 2000% in cases of fasting due to the very mechanism to prevent the scenario above. Preserve lean body mass, and chew away at our body's actual survival source, fat. That's what it's there for. There is a bit of lean body mass loss in the short term, like in the first day or 2, but after that it's fat. Not to mention the benefits of autophagy which also kick in somewhere between 24-72 hours.

The proof behind this? You and I are here alive and well today. Our ancestors didn't have a constant supply of food; they did in fact go for extended periods without it. If they simply just withered away with no food, you and I wouldn't be here today.
    I appreciate you pointing these things out.

I will say that authphagy is well known to be underway after some 12 or more hours.

I can understand that the body will use fat for preferred energy under starvation, but there is a constant need for protein. Autophagy and other amino acid recycling can only provide so much before new protein is needed.

There are no buff, 6% body fat people in concentration camps.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    That's an excellent point, also I believe my body is getting more efficient at getting to the fat with repeated fasts. It gets to the fat easier and I would even say its eroding more fat a bit faster.
    Pure and proper fasts work so well, the problem is to keep it pure and proper. Just water as needed, no coffee/tea and no butter/fats.
    It all starts out nice and good for me, I make 24 hrs with almost no water. Just per thirst, then slowly it all goes downhill.
    Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastFire
    replied
    @srinath: Fasting as you describe is sure fire lean body mass loss. Count on it.
    This is so wrong.. like so so so so wrong.

From an evolution standpoint, this would make 0 sense. Food is scarce, so the body simply doesn't just whither away making it harder and harder to obtain food, to the point it's no longer doable, so the last option is to lay there and wait to die unless someone brings you food..... That is beyond ridiculous.

The human growth hormone shoots up something like 2000% in cases of fasting due to the very mechanism to prevent the scenario above. Preserve lean body mass, and chew away at our body's actual survival source, fat. That's what it's there for. There is a bit of lean body mass loss in the short term, like in the first day or 2, but after that it's fat. Not to mention the benefits of autophagy which also kick in somewhere between 24-72 hours.

The proof behind this? You and I are here alive and well today. Our ancestors didn't have a constant supply of food; they did in fact go for extended periods without it. If they simply just withered away with no food, you and I wouldn't be here today.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    @srinath: IF'ing is light years different than your ten, twenty day fasts. One can do daily IF with a 15-18 hour window of not eating. One can do a day or two straight through. Ten days is not IF. It is an insult to your body.
    Ironically the added twist is that, you are the most likely to erode muscle in the first 4 days. Once you truly get into ketosis you're not going to eat muscle.
    A 4 day fast X 4 is more muscle catabolism compared to a 16 day fast.
    In my case, I used to eat 1 meal heavy in protein and fat between 2-5 day fasts. In my opinion it rebuilt the muscle that was burnt while keeping me in ketosis. No exact proof, but the fact that I can just about do what I did when I was 238lb indicates so.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    If it makes you feel any better, I am not able to fast for longer than 4-5 days of late. I made it to 3 and caved yesterday due to some food I had going bad.
    Now about longer fasts being an insult to your body - sadly I don't agree, we can discuss that later.

I knew you'd get around to calling Dr Fung/Mercola/Bikman/Berg/Enfeldt etc etc quacks.
    Dr Fung you realize is paid by the Canadian govt to cure diabetics right. And he has a 2200 strong and rapidly growing patient database which doesn't even include the 1000's of copy cats like me who read his site and do his idea right ???

Govt funded health care = cure is emphasized cos otherwise the govt is going to pay for those people's Health maintenance pretty much all their life.
    Patient funded health care = you're the doctors life long best customer. So they're good at keeping it that way.

IF is very effective when you couple it with exercise. That's how I got to 163 lb (about my current weight) with 50% muscle (as per my DSM-BIA) as opposed to 36-38% like now.
    I wish I could exercise in fasted state and eat every day. Sadly a lot of things like moving and building an addition to my house etc etc make that impossible.

Atleast you would take comfort in the fact that when I presented my numbers to Dr Fung, he said - OK you're done, why torture yourself any more.
    Except, I have not reset my set point to even 160. I'll balloon to something like 180+ or even more. I like being under 160, closer to 150 is even better. I am hoping to get rid of these grabs of fat and keeping it that way, regardless of weight.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    @srinath: IF'ing is light years different than your ten, twenty day fasts. One can do daily IF with a 15-18 hour window of not eating. One can do a day or two straight through. Ten days is not IF. It is an insult to your body.

As to your Dr. Fung, you do realize there have always been, for lack of a better word, quacks? Dr. Kellogg, who believed in celibate marriage, formulated corn flakes to cure what ails you. Dr. Graham and his amazingly healthy flour. Not.

Leave a comment:

• srinath_69
    replied
    @ToldUzo: There is that stomach stretching that triggers a "full" signal, but if you have low leptin or have low leptin sensitivity, your brain ignores it till the full turns into a "FULL" and then to a STOP etc etc.

@Kelly_C: When we understand how the body knows calories and macro's and the other parameters surrounding that we can figure out things like how to - for example eat but not tell your body that we have eaten. AKA - Fat and its lack of insulin response.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

Leave a comment:

• ToldUzo
    replied
    Doesn't the stomach recieve "full" signals (feeling satieted) when it is is literally full? That's why eating low calorie, high fiber foods like vegetables make you eat less calories overall than very calorie dense foods like fats... Later the hormones play in, so if you didn't eat enough nutrients to cover your bodys needs one day, you will be more hungry the next day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X