Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    @DawnHoff: Truly sorry to hear about your family and alcohol. You are right about the low success rates of therapy and even AA. I believe the latter's long time success rate is about 15%. Which is better than zero, for sure. And in most cases, that means a lifetime of attending meetings and as you note, eating sugar. I've attended AA meetings (one of the 85%!) and yes, the cookies and candies were plentiful. And coffee and cigarettes, of course. As much as society laughs about those stereotypes, better that than more drinking.

One thing I noticed is that my drinking problem is "nothing" compared to where these people have been. Closing bars drunk, driving 50 miles to an underground club.......oh, wait, didn't make it, DUI time. Again. Families ruined, jail time, dollars down the bar drain. I drink very little out of my home, especially with family and grandkids around. And it's easy to do, no cravings, wanting more.

Health reactions to drinking can vary widely. As I've mentioned here, saturated fats are both protective of, and can actually heal alcohol induced liver disease. A quick Pubmed search shows many experiments that prove this. Yes, rats, but I'm sure transferable to humans. It is PUFA's and alcohol that damage the liver. My liver enzyme lab results are always at the top level.
    The most important step is def. knowing that you have a problem, and working on it. It seems like you are very aware - and working on it. Not drinking around your kids and gran kids is a really good call :-) My parents don't recognize their problem - both would be mortified if I even suggested they were alcoholics... they just like red wine (a very acceptable addiction in Academic circles).

Comment

Originally posted by lovebird View Post

Not corny at all. She sounds like she was very good for you in many ways.

You should get out more and do fun stuff!
      Thanks. I've never loved any woman as much as Carol, never hurt so badly as when she left me. I'm still in love with her, at some level. And we still love each other, although differently than when we were an item. From this safe harbor of time, I am blessed and grateful to have experienced such love. Even the pain had benefits, one of my best poems of many, learning that I can survive such despair, all helped make me the man that I am.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post

Health reactions to drinking can vary widely. As I've mentioned here, saturated fats are both protective of, and can actually heal alcohol induced liver disease. A quick Pubmed search shows many experiments that prove this. Yes, rats, but I'm sure transferable to humans. It is PUFA's and alcohol that damage the liver. My liver enzyme lab results are always at the top level.

My last 6 months have been IF, Ultra low carb and many many many 1-8 day fasts (the previous 8 day ended July 4th) but 1-4 are plentiful before and after that. I have nearly perfectly maintained the 160 but here is what else is significant. Int and longer fasting builds bone so 160 of today isn't the 160 I hit ~1yr ago.
        But more significantly to the point - My diet is fat and alcohol when fasting, and fat, alcohol and protein when eating. There is the odd cheat day (like last week, when it was pizza @ office for halloween. Blood pressure - steady 110's and 70's.
        I registered the highest BP in end Jan when I may have been stressed out, but I also did heavy weight training, got to a geniune 10% BF and had a few good eating days and was ~160lb then too.

So in the context of a low carb diet, with a calorie balance - alcohol and fat (mostly as HWC, cocoa butter and coconut oil) essentially its all a wash.
        This is significant, because for the 30yrs ending last Oct I never registered under 130/85. Even my Jan high was similar to that. I used to constantly read 140/90+.
        Does heavy weight training do a short term increase in BP ?

I also have a family that was ripped by alcohol. My dad died @ 57 after being a life long drinker and smoker. I didn't have my first drink till 23, and was a very light and very ocassional drinker till ~15yrs ago. Then on, I was still a light but more regular drinker. 2 drinks a day, 4-6 weekends for the 6-7 months around summer. I am really mad I cant get insurance and blood tests till Jan, but this experiment is needed - more for my own knowledge really. We have all been told is bad, we also heard fat is bad, we also hear a lot of crap that we know isn't right. Time to put this to test.
        Most people here buy and cook awesome food. I cant/dont. I weigh stuff I eat and write it down. I weigh myself and write it down. We'll see what the data ends up showing. So far, courtesy of walmart, BP isn't going up with 6-7 months of heavy drinking inside of a low carb calorie neutral diet.
        Last edited by srinath_69; 11-06-2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Only problem is, 2 drinks in a 4-6hr evening even without food = very very enjoyable.
          4 and a good protein heavy meal in a 6hr evening = a lot less fun.

Comment

Working...
          X