Carb Refeed Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Refeed Question

Is it okay to eat a primal (high fat, tons of vegetables and some meat) meal a few hours before a carb reefed? How long before the last high fat meal should one wait before a carb refeed?

For a while I ate a normal primal meal several hours before a carb reefed twice a week but I started to be concerned about the large quantity of fat I would eat a few hours before and a few hours after the carb reefed being too soon and potentially interfering with the carb reefed. So I started doing a carb reefed only once weekly and did it after fasting for about 20 hours and didn’t eat again until the next morning.

Is this ideal? Is it necessary? Can one eat a high fat primal meal even just a few hours before and after a carb reefed?

Thank you all so very much for your feedback!

I break it overnight. Just if nothing else, it gets to reset your mind. But the biological reason is - the fats in your blood should be done and processed and excreted or put in the large intestine by the next morning. So the insulin from carb re-feed will not find that fat in your blood to deposit into your storage. However things like triglycerides don't really get pushed out in 6-10 hrs. So some of it will get into storage. Just minimize it, that's all.

Comment

Hey srinath_69, thank you for your reply!

So when you say to break it overnight do you mean that you wait till the next morning to eat again (a good high fat primal meal) after a carb refeed?

So if you want to minimize the insulin finding that fat in your blood to deposit into storage like you said then the goal is the have the last high fat meal be as long before the carb refeed as possible?

A few hours is probably too soon? Would it be ideal to have your last meal on the evening of the night before and then in the afternoon the next day after lifting weights and sprints to do the carb refeed and then not eat again until the following day?

On the flip-side does one also need to be aware of how soon they eat a high fat meal after the carb refeed?

Thanks for sharing your insight!

Comment

OK sorry but you have the general idea.
        Fat takes a good long time to work its way out of the system with the massive calorie punch. So 12-18 24 - 36 hrs as much as you can before you get the insulin rising again.
        Carbs fly through quick, and the insulin runs down pretty fast as well (in a person with a semi functional pancreas) 1hr for glucose, 4-6 for fructose and the insulin pretty much is gone. So a HF meal can follow a high carb meal in 6hr or so unless you got some hormonal dysfunction

Comment

Oh okay! Great! Thank you so much for your feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by BenMercer1993 View Post
            Is it okay to eat a primal (high fat, tons of vegetables and some meat) meal a few hours before a carb reefed? How long before the last high fat meal should one wait before a carb refeed?

For a while I ate a normal primal meal several hours before a carb reefed twice a week but I started to be concerned about the large quantity of fat I would eat a few hours before and a few hours after the carb reefed being too soon and potentially interfering with the carb reefed. So I started doing a carb reefed only once weekly and did it after fasting for about 20 hours and didn’t eat again until the next morning.

Is this ideal? Is it necessary? Can one eat a high fat primal meal even just a few hours before and after a carb reefed?

Thank you all so very much for your feedback!
            Since nobody actually following the Primal Blueprint principles has answered to this so far, I'll share Mark's vision on it:

Here’s the quick and dirty Primal way to do it:

On your heaviest training days (heavy lifting, sprinting, anything that results in glycogen depletion), increase your carbohydrates and limit your fat intake. Yes, limit your fat intake to around 50g (eyeball it – don’t demolish that stick of butter today). Don’t cut it out altogether, mind you, but emphasize carbs over fat. Fat doesn't have much of a short-term effect on leptin. and, since we want to increase leptin in the short-term without gorging on overall calories, limiting fat and emphasizing carbohydrate is the way to go. Don’t do much to your protein intake. Just keep it relatively normal. Limit your refeeds to once, maybe twice a week, and always after really big workouts, but really go for it. Eat a lot of yams, sweet potatoes, fruit, plantains, squash – any Primal source of starchy carb will do the trick (grains and legumes are still problematic, so keep away). Eat more total calories than you’d normally eat and way more carbohydrate calories than you’d normally eat – at least 250 g-300 g worth. Finish your refeed day with a decent chunk of lean protein (chicken breast, cottage cheese).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/carb-...d-weight-loss/

FWIW It depends on your BF% whether 2 carb refeeds per week are a good idea...

As was mentioned in the comments by Matthew:

"If you’re over 15% body fat, all you ‘need’ would be one cheat meal a week, with a max of 100 grams of carbs in one sitting… Then you’d be back to low-carbing for 6 days.

With my clients that lift “Heavy”, I place the re-feeds on the days of their most strenuous lifts, and try to have them eat the majority of their carbs pre & post workout.

Like Mark Said, keep fat low (between 30-50 grams) and protein around 1 gram per pound.

Food Sources: Sweet Potatoes, Quinoa, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, and Fruit (utilize mainly starchy carbs)

Finally, if your goal is to lose fat (and retain or even gain muscle) then you will only have one or two “high-carb days” per week, the other five or six days being your paleo or fasting days.

It’s really not too complicated:
            -High Carbs
            -Low Fat
            -Eat most of the carbs around workouts
            -Over 20% body fat: 1 cheat meal a week
            -12%-15%: 1-2 refeeds (If desired)
            -8%-12%: 2-4 refeeds (If desired)"

Comment

Thank you lovebird!

I am familiar with the basics of a carb refeed but was more curious about how soon after or before a carb refeed one can eat a regular primal meal. Basically I heard that if you eat carbs and fat together that much will be stored as fat and so wanted to limit that by knowing just how many hours before the last (high fat primal) meal one can do a carb refeed. Just how long does it take for that fat to get "out of the system" so the insulin and everything isn't affected during the carb refeed.

Comment

Working...
              X