No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining fat on paleo

Hi.

When I first started eating paleo I lost a lot of weight (from 86kg to 75kg) and was never hungry.
    The last couple of years my diet have been 80% paleo and my weight as been steady on around 75kg.
    But then last autumn I started gaining weight and in 6 months i was back to 86kg.

I become very frustrated and even started counting calories to try to understand what was happening.
    I found out that I had gradually been eating more and more calories. When I first started eating paleo my daily calorie intake was probably around 1600-1700 Kcal, but now I am eating closer to 3000 Kcal.

I have tried resuming my original calorie intake, but every time I try I get so hungry that I give up after a week.
    So whats going on here? Have I been eating myself to lepting ressistance or is this my bodyfat setpoint kicking in?

Any advice on how to fix this?

I am 33 years, 178 cm high, moderately active, sleeping good and dont have too much stress.

Thanks.

Hi,

From whatever basic understanding that I have of this diet, few reasons for an increase in weight could be:
    - You might be consuming too many calories (as you have mentioned). Overeating, even on healthy foods is not advisable and won't be of much help.
    - Less protein in the diet. Try adding more protein to your diet in the morning as it will help you keep satiated.
    - Following a strict regimen. If you feel tired, don't workout and if you don't feel like eating then don't eat just to follow your diet plan.
    - Food sensitivity. Sometimes our body tends to retain certain foods. In most cases, it is water which can make you look that extra puffy.

Some advice:
    - Eating less is not helpful. Eat just about enough (of course foods that include in paleo) to get an optimum set of nutrients.
    - You'd be required to do some exercise, so make sure you're taking enough carbs as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Comment

Honestly? (and ignore the newbie ^^ that's most likely spamming) Just get back to basics where the foods and all the other primal rules are concerned. Reread the book and start from scratch. To prevent yourself from going hungry because you're not eating enough, try a fasting/feeding regimen. Focus on enough protein (at least she got that right). Add muscle through training won't get your weight down, but it will be a healthy gain.
      "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
        I have tried fasting a couple of times and it do seem to help with the hunger. Maybe I just need to do it regularly.

Comment

Usually it's a case of too many gray area food items. Back to basics. Good animal protein and some veggies to taste. Periodic fruit. Ditch any starches that may have snuck in lately.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds about right.
            Looks like the 20% non-paleo food could be the problem. Guess I need to do a strict paleo diet for a while.
            Thanks.

Comment

I've come up with one more stupid formula (or some cliché saying more like)
              The more you're overshooting your calorie need for the day, the shorter the eating window has to be and the fewer carbs (and funky proteins like soy isolate that's partially hydrogenated and transmorphed into an artificially sweetened drink) you can have.

Comment

Srinath, don't forget stress. Jimmy Moore, the other half of Dr Fung's writing team, couldn't deal with stress and fasting at same time. Few of us can. (Can you tell I d/l his book to my kindle and have been reading? But there comes a time when Atkins and paleo may fail to halt marching weight gain, and THAT'S the time to explore fasting, the original weight loss method! I'm about to revisit that discipline whether my ankle heals or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                  Jimmy Moore, the other half of Dr Fung's writing team
                  Not any more. I know Jimmy Moore better than most people on this or any other forum and I obviously know Dr Fung from his blog etc just like everyone else - and on a personal level I'd take Dr Fung's side. And on the Medical side - is there even a question.

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                  But there comes a time when Atkins and paleo may fail to halt marching weight gain, and THAT'S the time to explore fasting
                  I actually think the opposite now. LCHF is great for maintaining when a person has lost weight mostly via fasting when they start out Insulin resistant. This is why. A IR person can have high insulin for 12+ hours after eating celery and broccoli let alone candy and soda. In fact candy and soda cause a sugar crash in 20-45 min and that is usually followed by an insulin drop to below baseline. Sugar crash = insulin is high but glucose is low. Even in a IR person insulin drops to base line 10-30 min after a sugar crash. OTOH Broccoli is still passing through your system 6hr after you eat it slow releasing the "good carbs". IR is like a big chunk of missing skin. Good food = your sweetie touches your wound. Bad food = Your enemy touches your wound. They both hurt like a MOFO. If you break that IR, you could eat paleo, LOV most anything this side of twinkies and soda and hold/lose slowly.

I know of people who "stress eat". I tend to stress fast anyway. Even when I was 238lb ahead of a big day/event I'll not want to eat or sleep.
                  Stress may prevent me from losing weight but not due to eating. If I eat I may eat junk food, but usually I can keep from eating. Good, someone has to read the book, cos I sure as hell didn't.
                  Last edited by srinath_69; 09-20-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Jimmy Moore has conquered a few wallets. Fasting was a stunt for him, nothing more. I see no evidence that Jimmy has improved his body composition or health in the last 10 years. He won't even tell people what he weighs these days.
                    I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                      Jimmy Moore has conquered a few wallets. Fasting was a stunt for him, nothing more. I see no evidence that Jimmy has improved his body composition or health in the last 10 years. He won't even tell people what he weighs these days.
                      Moore is a totally unqualified huckster of the worst kind. His "clarity" books are a joke. He is an unhealthy, obese metabolically broken dude who has no business selling advice on health and nutrition.

Comment

What I learned fro Jimmy isn't wrong, but I'll agree - he tends to sell whatever can be sold to weight-conscious people, with great enthusiasm. I simply take whatever he offers with a bag of salt, unless it corresponds with my own experience or leaning. Because I HAVE fasted in the past, both long-term and IF, I can evaluate his experience through my own lens. But, as stated, Dr Fung is a more trustworthy source. I have no beef with the both of them together.

Comment

Don't blame Jimmy for capitalism. Nobody twists their arms and forces them to purchase from him.

I haven't read his keto-clarity book, but I did read Dr. Fung's fasting book. It was a little too "lay-person" for my taste, but I could see it as being quite educational to the right population.

Jimmy puts a lot out there for free. I have no problem with him making some money where he can. You really don't have to follow him....he has a multitude of health care providers he has worked with or interviewed that are in terrific shape and great health that you could emulate. Jimmy and Oprah seem to have many of the same issues from what I can tell.

Comment

Neckhammer, don't be so coy! What do you think people should learn from Jimmy Moore - good and bad? What would be your plan for him?
                            I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Neckhammer, don't be so coy! What do you think people should learn from Jimmy Moore - good and bad? What would be your plan for him?
                              What "should" they learn? Do you mean from Jimmy's own struggles as a case study, or from what information he has gathered and provides to the public?

If it's the latter I think you can pick and choose from his extensive list of episodes and get what you want from them for zero dollars. With over 1300 shows with everyone from Dr. Perlmutter to the thirty bananas guy there are tons of free interviews and insights from a wide variety of health minded people. Mostly pro low carb, but some brought to the show specifically for an alternative viewpoint. Yes, I ignore the most the I tems sold on his site (just like I do here), but I don't begrudge a man making money.

If it is the former I think everyone has to remember that he started out at 410lbs! He wasn't just obese...this is extremely morbidly obese. I think that revelation should temper ones expectations. Weight loss and maintenance of a healthy metabolism is going to be more of a struggle for anyone who has at any point in life had that much adipose tissue. It's hormonal and neurological. Leptin, insulin, set point.... ect. He has had ups and downs. If you want something good to take away then look at the fact that he hasn't just given up. Look at the fact that he can achieve relatively normal health markers when he is on point with his lifestyle choices. You want to go negative? The worse thing he did was get to 410lbs in the first place. There just is so much stacked against you at that point. He also does not have the luxury of an 80/20 plan now. He needs to stick to his chosen path 100%. I think fasting and keto can keep him as healthy as a diet can, but he needs resistance training as well. And he has to love it. If any of this is a psychological burden you can't do it forever, and he needs to.

That is my very rudimentary analysis. I'm not his doctor, and although I have listened to a few shows I don't know his extensive history. I could be wrong given any amount of missing information.

Comment

Working...
                              X