Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg cramps, hypoglycemia, sweats and fainting

I have been walking a lot, I've walked more in the last 4 days than I did in the whole year I think.
    I ate a 300 gm salad of wild greens with buttermilk dressing, 4 drinks, almonds and raisins.
    Then ~1:45 am I wake up to hit the restroom while suffering form the worst cramp in my right leg, and oddly the left is hurting too @ the same spot, my shin.
    At the same time I start feeling light headed, start sweating and I know low BP cos the wake up and try to pee/poop = low BP and I have had that aspect happen as far back as 2003. And has happened a few 100 times since.

I think I got hypoglycemic, low BP, cramps, withdrawal from alcohol and drop back into ketosis all in that 2 minute span, and like a genius I tried getting off the toilet and walking and the next thing I know I was on the floor.

The cramps came and went through the rest of the night. They have disappeared as of now, but I will bet tonight will be just as bad, I'm going to the state fair, eating some unspecified fatty food and walking a lot.

The cramps mostly stay away while I am fasting. I fasted 6 days while walking atleast 2 miles every day. No problem, I eat and it all seems to go kablooey. I was working on the theory I may be deficient in potassium and magnesium, but the greens and almonds have lots.

If you're deficient but fasting does that hide the deficiency ?
    Or is this an inflammation fed by carbs from the raisins ?

I absolutely agree with you...it must be the raisins. It could not possibly be a result of your eating disorder, admitted alcoholism and physical exertion far beyond your limits. If you truly walked more in four days than you did in a year, you either lead an extraordinarily sedentary life and are therefore grossly out of shape or you almost walked yourself to death.

Seriously, can you not see how self-destructive you are? You intentionally starve yourself into a state of extreme malnourishment and then embark on strenuous exercise far beyond what you have trained for.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 10-14-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you, Artbuc.

You nailed it, our friend has an ED.....oops....Eating Disorder. An unusual one, for sure, but nevertheless.

Comment

Srinath, magnesium helps with both alcohol withdrawal, flaming alcoholism, leg cramps and other assorted bodily pains. You can swallow it as a liquid, in pills, or applied as an "oil" externally. It works in all 3 forms, but use the appropriate one for the task at hand.
        BTW, fasting and drinking are not compatible. Drinkers need solid food in their stomachs to try to slow down the rapid absorption of alcohol. Your body was telling you something. Are you listening?

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
          Srinath, magnesium helps with both alcohol withdrawal, flaming alcoholism, leg cramps and other assorted bodily pains. You can swallow it as a liquid, in pills, or applied as an "oil" externally. It works in all 3 forms, but use the appropriate one for the task at hand.
          BTW, fasting and drinking are not compatible. Drinkers need solid food in their stomachs to try to slow down the rapid absorption of alcohol. Your body was telling you something. Are you listening?
          I have been trying to increase my magnesium for a number of months. It appears that magnesium is one of the minerals declining fastest in our soils. I first did magnesium oxide tablets, man, they are big. Then I read that they aren't well absorbed. (I later read that all forms do OK.) Then I went with magnesium "oil". What a pain to use. I would spray it on parts of my body, spend the next hour reading, trying to not touch said parts, before it would be absorbed and dry. And, of course, you have no idea of how much is absorbed.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across Rogue Health. The guy that writes it is like Mark, Richard Nokely, and others that are very smart and great aggregators of information. And since they are not trained in the fields, they can see things with fresh eyes. Here's one that really sent me back to the magnesium table;: http://roguehealthandfitness.com/mag...s-death-rates/

I have started taking magnesium cirtrate, bulk powder, goal, 1 tsp /day which is 500mg magnesium. Still trying how to do this. I can get half of that into a few scrambled eggs, more results in a grittiness. I think with that and then using a salt shaker on the rest of the meals, I should get it. The dowsnide of all these supps is the classic stool softening. So, now having to add loperimide to the regimen.

Just in the last two days I found myself drinking about half of my classic normal. Leg cramps almost gone. And vivid dreams, see https://www.bing.com/search?q=magnes...ZI&form=MOZSBR Mine aren't nightmares, I'll call them not happy.

On Monday I go in for my blood letting. Er, donation.

Comment

It happened 6 hrs after I ate and I ate food very very rich in potassium and magnesium. I'll observe this, how can it not hit while fasting but hit the day I eat. I ate some turkey etc today for lunch, lets see what tonight turns out to be. Maybe its the lack of B related - cos I ate very few animal products yesterday. Maybe the bit of whey/hibiscus tea.

I walked 3 mi Monday, Tuesday and fri and 1.5 wed, thu, 1.5mi @ a time. I don't think I've walked 1.5 miles in 1 stretch ever in a few years. I may have covered more than 12 mi this yea, but 10-20ft at a time in the grocery store aisle ambling along but this week walked hard enough to cramp both shins during the walk and right after.

@ art and OTB: Malnourishment is 160-165lb for a 5' 9.5" man ??? OK then.
            Malnourished people are just as likely to be fat than super thin, and I am neither. Starvation is 20-30lb away. This is my lazy, easy, cheap paleo. Eat when suitable food shows up.

I get it, the drinking is a separate issue. I shouldn't be drinking 4 in 4 hrs. I drink while fasting as well, however this wasn't one of those.

Comment

No cramps or anything else. Had 1/3 of a turkey leg BBQ sauce, few peanuts and 2 muscadines between 2-3 pm, walked 2mi or so @ snails pace. Then got home and only had 3 drinks. Usually the problems don't hit after you break the fast I have noticed. It could be that inflammation is there but without carbs, its not getting to where it can flare up.

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
                No cramps or anything else. Had 1/3 of a turkey leg BBQ sauce, few peanuts and 2 muscadines between 2-3 pm, walked 2mi or so @ snails pace. Then got home and only had 3 drinks. Usually the problems don't hit after you break the fast I have noticed. It could be that inflammation is there but without carbs, its not getting to where it can flare up.
                You forgot to count how many breaths you took and body temp via rectal thermometer.

Comment

Srinath, I have followed your posts off an on, and you seem to be on a destructive path. I am not quite sure what your objective is, you would fast and then have drinks? whats the point? Don't you want to be healthy? Weight loss etc. is fine but I would expect that one to be most concerned about being healthy, everything else comes second. You do have a young son, so just be cognizant of the fact that he would learn a lot of behavior from you.

Comment

Since drinking cultures are still changing around the world (mostly for worse), it's hard to be social w/o a drink in hand. Covert drinking goes on all around us, but like hubby argues, it's more apt to be ( insert hated health food here) than it is the ( bread, doughnuts, beer, whiskey,sweets, etc) that's responsible for my afflictions. Oh well, drunk walking is much preferable to drunk driving.

Comment

Originally posted by dinesh75 View Post
                      Srinath, I have followed your posts off an on, and you seem to be on a destructive path. I am not quite sure what your objective is, you would fast and then have drinks? whats the point? Don't you want to be healthy? Weight loss etc. is fine but I would expect that one to be most concerned about being healthy, everything else comes second. You do have a young son, so just be cognizant of the fact that he would learn a lot of behavior from you.
                      Correct, and yet he feels compelled to give advice to every poster which is almost always factually incorrect or completely unsubstantiated.

Comment

Thanks for judgements and the nice comments Art, OTB etc etc

Drinking is pretty much like eating fat. No insulin response. Your body burns it when its there and goes back to burning fat.

Maybe I am trying to find out how far I can take the bad habits to the edge before falling off.
                        More importantly, I don't believe what has been sold to us as "good food" is even remotely suitable to be even called food, or good.
                        What is bad - again I doubt it.

Anyway this was an incidence of 4 things that I have had happen before (drop back to ketosis, low bp, low blood sugar, and cramps) just never @ the same time.
                        Its worth keeping an eye out the next time I break a fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                          Since drinking cultures are still changing around the world (mostly for worse), it's hard to be social w/o a drink in hand. Covert drinking goes on all around us, but like hubby argues, it's more apt to be ( insert hated health food here) than it is the ( bread, doughnuts, beer, whiskey,sweets, etc) that's responsible for my afflictions. Oh well, drunk walking is much preferable to drunk driving.
                          Years ago I worked in a major hotel that hosted a huge black church annual convention. The housekeepers reported finding a few bottles hidden under bed or mattresses.

Comment

The right leg cramp seems to be related to potassium - and not too little - too much.

The worst ever episode happened the night before I made this post. That was few hrs after a 300 gm salad harvested from my yard. I had also done a 6 day fast before that meal.
                            But last night it was fish, scotch bonnets and wild chives for dinner, but I had a KCl and dry spice broth before that - as in, 6-7 gm kcl with a bunch of indian spices in hot water. I also was eating 1-2 meals a day for the last few days. No cramps till this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
                              The right leg cramp seems to be related to potassium - and not too little - too much.

The worst ever episode happened the night before I made this post. That was few hrs after a 300 gm salad harvested from my yard. I had also done a 6 day fast before that meal.
                              But last night it was fish, scotch bonnets and wild chives for dinner, but I had a KCl and dry spice broth before that - as in, 6-7 gm kcl with a bunch of indian spices in hot water. I also was eating 1-2 meals a day for the last few days. No cramps till this morning.
                              So basically either too much potassium OR too little sodium. There needs to be a balance between those two minerals.
                              Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Working...
                              X