Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing experience with my primary care doc

I went in for my every-other-year physical yesterday. I was very pleased with my cholesterol numbers, but the doc said they were "ok for my age" and that I'd likely "have to go on statins before too long." When I pressed him a bit on this, he said "the new guidelines have basically everyone on them" and "now they're being used to reduce heart attack risk rather than to get cholesterol numbers to any specific target." I raised concerns about the side-effects, and he said that "different statin medications have fewer side-effects" and besides, "some people don't even notice them." I dropped it after that exchange, but there's no way a statin pill is going to be entering my system.

I've been Primal on and off since 2010 and have been at least 95% adherent since 2 January 2017, with some occasional periods of keto. During that time, I've gone from ~15-20% body fat to ~10%, haven't been sick, and feel great. My triglycerides went down since my last physical (two years ago) and my HDL went up, both well into the "ideal" ranges. My triglycerides to HDL ratio is 1.2. My total cholesterol and LDL are both above the normal range and into "borderline-high" or high, but this doesn't concern me.

It's just mind-blowing to me that this dogma is still so pervasive. I've been otherwise happy with this doc, but I think this is going to send me searching for a Paleo/keto friendly doc that's not going to try to push statins on me.

Thanks for listening to my rant. If anyone has recommendations for a good doc in the Burlington, Vermont area, please post below!

Good luck finding a keto-friendly doc. My Doc is taking notes when I ask him a question, and never gives me an answer, then when I start to explain what I think is happening with me - he takes more notes. I should charge him for these consults. He's a fat guy who wants to lose weight I guess. I dunno.

Comment

If you ever found a perfect doctor, alert the media. One every member of the family used in FL, who appeared to respect our opinions and observations, didn't always get it right.

Basically, blow him off. Bone up on facts. Go over to Dr. Eade's blog, proteinpower.com and find his posting on statins. The reality is that they barely make any difference, AND they are only effective in a small target group. Such as male with one "incident" already, IIRC.

We here have anecdotally observed that many people on very low carb/keto diets have slightly elevated FBG levels. The cure is to get some "clean" carbs into your diet. I know thats not you concern, but an observation that might help. Also, saturated fats raise both LDL and HDL, but the LDL increase is the good guys, light and fluffy types. One can get a direct count of particle sizes, but I'm guessing it's not cheap and may not be covered by insurance.

Comment

I know the feeling Will. My MD has wanted me on statins for the last few years, ever since I was forced into an MD change with Obamacare and "keep your doc and your plan" didn't pan out. For the most part, I was lucky, the new MD has accepted that I'm not going on statins, and his parents are on a Paleo diet so he is familiar with, and likes, the Primal type approach to living. My last visit in, his nurse pushed a flu shot and I told her "no way" and in a humorous fashion added that if she came at me with that needle, I would have her arrested for assault.

You can look around for a new MD, I'm not sure where to suggest you look with an on-line approach. On the off chance you have used a chiropractor, the chiro may be a good point of reference for an MD recommendation. Otherwise I'd rely on word of mouth from any friends/relatives you have in your area who share your health approach.

Your only other options are to send your MD links to the continuing set of new studies that show the downsides of statins. These seem to pop up fairly frequently. Otherwise, I'd just stiffen up the old backbone and tell him no. The worst he can do is fire you as a patient.
        Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
        My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

The only hit on the Paleo Physicians Network in your state is a chiro:

http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/do...practic-center
          "Don't sweat the small stuff and relax about the whole process"

Comment

Dr Berg is a chiropractor as is Dr Bergman. Youtube is fantastic, I love both of them. Finished all Dr Berg clips, working on Bergman now.
            Also my closest friend is also a chiro and I see one very very good one every week.
            I find that chiropractors are far more amenable to solving problems as opposed to "take 2 of these and call me in the morning" crowd with a million $$ outstanding student loan balance and on the take from a slew of pharmaceutical companies.
            So I'd give the chiro a whirl.

Comment

Hey, he's in the "sick care" business. It's what they do best. There isn't anything in it for him (or those that support him) if you don't need some sort of pill for what ails you (or doesn't!). What did you think was going to happen showing up at an MD's office for a preventative visit? tsk, tsk.....

There is a huge push for statins these days. If you haven't already, research the subject. Particularly, look at the acceptable cholesterol levels a decade ago versus now. You will see that his remark of "everyone is on statins these days", is due to the fact that big pharma lowered the parameters of acceptable cholesterol levels to ensure more people were buying what they hock.
              Last edited by Ontario; 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM.
              Moved on over to www.primalforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
                I find that chiropractors are far more amenable to solving problems as opposed to "take 2 of these and call me in the morning" crowd with a million $$ outstanding student loan balance and on the take from a slew of pharmaceutical companies.
                So I'd give the chiro a whirl.
                OMG!!!! Well, it did start to snow here today so I guess that maybe hell really has frozen over...why?...because, for once, I actually agree with Srinath.
                Moved on over to www.primalforums.com

Comment

I am a big fan of one of your countryman too Ontario - Dr Fung.
                  BTW my brother is from Ontario and currently my part time house mate when he's in NC/SC on work.
                  I never even step out of the house without atleast 3 chiropractors on speed dial LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario View Post

OMG!!!! Well, it did start to snow here today so I guess that maybe hell really has frozen over...why?...because, for once, I actually agree with Srinath.
                    Laughing out loud here Ontario!

Comment

Ontario, remember that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
                      My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback!

Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                        I'd just stiffen up the old backbone and tell him no.
                        Gotta have a fairly stiff spine to succeed at Primal in a SAD world, right?!

Comment

Originally posted by lovebird View Post
                          Laughing out loud here Ontario!
                          Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                          Ontario, remember that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
                          Without these judgements where would I go to be psychoanalyzed ???
                          I get a real kick out of these, especially after I say I have weekly subscription to a chiropractor and have been seeing the same person for 8 months or so, and my closest friend and fellow primal and alcoholic is also a chiropractor (and not the same as the one who adjusts me) etc etc ... Love it. All I can say is, I've watched every clip of Dr Berg, Dr Fung, Dr Enfeldt (and I was a member of his site for a few months) Thomas DeLauer and am 1/2 way through Dr Bergman and Dr Schmidt. I have also forced my chiropractor friend to watch some of it, and I had some of my family members watch and consult with Dr Berg. So if you want to stay on topic - I'd recomend the OP get to the paleo chiro in his vicinity, or maybe consult with Dr Berg's office. I had a family member start that and he's actually extremely helpful in sorting our her diet (not that she'd follow it).

Comment

It's not about you Srinath... Ontario made a funny joke and you should be grateful someone acknowledges your post for being useful. Especially since that doesn't happen that often.

Comment

Will:
                              Gotta have a fairly stiff spine to succeed at Primal in a SAD world, right?!
                              It can seem that way at times.

Comment

Working...
                              X