X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atestforecho
    started a topic sparkling mineral water

sparkling mineral water

I was wondering if sparkling water is ok; been doing good cutting out sodas (diet) out of my paleo diet but have the urge sometimes for carbonated drinks so I was wondering if sparkling water is ok. Thanks.

• DaisyEater
    replied
    Originally posted by denbro01 View Post
    Wondering how water is acidic. Water is neutral. Is it the bubbles that cause this neutral water to become acidic?
    According to this article:

Carbon dioxide and water form carbonic acid (H2CO3),[2] which gives the water a slightly sour taste with a pH between 3 and 4.[3] An alkaline salt, such as sodium bicarbonate, may be added to soda water to reduce its acidity.
    Carbonated water is a negligible cause of dental erosion; also known as acid erosion. While the dissolution potential of sparkling water is greater than still water, levels remain low: by comparison, carbonated soft drinks cause tooth decay at a rate of several hundred times that of regular sparkling water. De-gassing of carbonated water reduces its dissolution potential, but the total levels are still relatively low, suggesting that the addition of sugar into water, not its carbonation, is the main cause of tooth decay.[6]
    Intake of carbonated beverages has not been associated with increased bone fracture risk in observational studies, and the net effect of carbonated beverage constituents on the amount of calcium in the body is negligible,[7] leaving carbonated water as harmless as regular water.[citation needed] The phosphoric acid present in many soft drinks is what reduces bone density and increases bone fracture risk.
    Carbonated water eases the symptoms of indigestion (dyspepsia) and constipation, according to a study in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.[8]
    A 2004 article in the Journal of Nutrition found that fizzy waters with higher sodium levels reduced cholesterol levels and the risk of cardiovascular problems in postmenopausal women.[9
    So I'm not particularly worried about it.

Leave a comment:

• Thor Falk
    replied
    Originally posted by Grok View Post
    Mineral water, distilled water and tea I'd guess is about 99% of what I drink. I love the lime flavored mineral water.

EDIT: Make that 95%, I forgot about the Starbucks I go to 2-3 times a month.
    Distilled water? Not great - washes out the minerals from the body (as itself does not have any)

Leave a comment:

• Grok
    replied
    Mineral water, distilled water and tea I'd guess is about 99% of what I drink. I love the lime flavored mineral water.
    CA_Product_Group_&#.jpg

EDIT: Make that 95%, I forgot about the Starbucks I go to 2-3 times a month.
    Last edited by Grok; 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• denbro01
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisflyer View Post
    Not it is not okay to consume carbonated water. It is acidic and will leach calcium from bones. You need to maintain an alkaline state.

Now and then - okay. Every day - not okay...
    Wondering how water is acidic. Water is neutral. Is it the bubbles that cause this neutral water to become acidic?

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    I like my sparkling water mixed with my red wine....dilutes it....love the taste...but I am new And modifying my whole life to make positive changes toward...better..and this is better than my norm. Just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• Diana Renata
    replied
    Not it is not okay to consume carbonated water. It is acidic and will leach calcium from bones. You need to maintain an alkaline state.

Actually, it's acids added to soda that causes problems, not the carbonation. The only thing I've ever heard about carbonation is that it can disrupt digestion. For that reason some suggest not drinking carbonated drinks with meals but to wait an hour before or after eating.

Leave a comment:

• atestforecho
    replied
    Thanks Aly! I love sparkling water with lemon

Leave a comment:

• Aly
    replied

Mark's words, quoted from an article about diet soda. Here, he is talking about the ingredients of carbonated diet soda:

Carbonated water, some sort of food coloring, and preservatives like potassium benzoate are all innocuous enough. Nothing to worry about there. You won’t see Mercola issuing dire warnings about Caramel Color No. 76 anytime soon. It’s the other stuff that interests (or worries) us: artificial sweeteners and (to a lesser extent) phosphoric acid
    I'm pretty sure that line is implying that carbonated water is OK'ed.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisflyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaisyEater
    replied
    Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Got my wife a SodaStream home carbonator for Christmas. It is GREAT! Flavor how you want it, much less expensive, no plastic bottles (except the two that came with it). After 6 months of use, ew are vary happy. It is a daily-use "appliance" rather than a novelty that got used the first week and has been on a back shelf ever since.
    I've had mine for about two years. I go through a liter of fizzy water most days. So that's a lot of use.

Leave a comment:

• OneDeltaTenTango
    replied
    Got my wife a SodaStream home carbonator for Christmas. It is GREAT! Flavor how you want it, much less expensive, no plastic bottles (except the two that came with it). After 6 months of use, ew are vary happy. It is a daily-use "appliance" rather than a novelty that got used the first week and has been on a back shelf ever since.

Leave a comment:

• atestforecho
    replied
    Thanks much for the info guys

Leave a comment:

• DaisyEater
    replied
    I love it so much, I have a carbonator at home. I love adding a few slices of lemon or lime to it.

Leave a comment:

• Diana Renata
    replied
    Me too. I keep sparkling water at work and I drink kombucha as well. Both are very good options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X