Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freshveggies View Post
    I am very sensitive to Iodine. My doctor had me taking iodine and within a couple of days, I could not sleep. Now I am thinking that my lack of sleep might be connected to my high fish intake. I have been eating fish 2 times a day. A lot of cod which I think is higher in iodine. Any thoughts?
    Possible reasons.

You are very low on iodine and polluted with halogens (other than iodine) (bromine, fluorine)
    (bromine--->spa, jacuzzi, flour have bromine as additive)
    fluorine---> tooth paste

You may be low in selenium.
    Your iodine product may be bad.

Stop iodine.
    For few weeks, for a month, eat 200mg Selenium

Super Selenium Complex 200 mcg, 100 capsules
    Super Selenium Complex, 200 mcg 100 capsules

--------------------
    Keep eating selenium.

Resume iodine supplementation, but use
    Lugols solution from TheBreathOfLife.net
    Thyroid

one dropperfull/day in coffee or other food
    after first vial is done, next vials
    two dropperfulls/week

-------------------------------------
    Leptin For Dummies http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post595567

Comment

• YOUR MOUTH IS A BATTLE GROUND IN HEALTH AND DISEASE | Jack Kruse

Comment

• Been busy with work the past week or so. I just wanted to report that the sinus infection became an upper respiratory infection. Yay me!
        Georgette

Comment

• Jack what supplements would you say is best for gums that are not terribly healthy. I have read about K2, how about Niacin or Vitamin C and how much do you think would be good for getting good gum health back?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sue View Post
            These comments were from the IF vs leptin reset thread:

JimHensen:
            "I feel as though the leptin reset is based on pseudoscience. The leptin reset works because it limits calories. You can't "reset" leptin eating low carbs. There is absolutely no scientific data that supports that."

ChocoTaco:
            "I partially agree with this. I've also thought "Leptin Reset" was the dumbest thing you can possibly call it. Do you know why? BECAUSE LOW CARB DOES NOT RESET LEPTIN! YOU RESET LEPTIN BY PROLONGED CARB LOADING!!!!

What "Leptin Reset" actually is is for people that are leptin resistant. Prolonged high levels of blood sugar has made these people metabolically deranged. You become leptin resistant when you constantly have elevated insulin, so the person's brain stops recognizing the leptin because it's constantly elevated as well - when you raise insulin with carbohydrate, you raise leptin a few hours later. Since leptin is the hormone that regulates fat release from fat cells, these people store fat but they can't let go of it. In order to make your brain leptin sensitive again, you have to go prolonged periods where blood sugar is normalized. How do you do this? By limiting insulin and blood sugar spikes. How do you do this? BY LIMITING CARBOHYDRATE AND AVOIDING SNACKING as snacking, even on protein, will spike insulin and even blood sugar to an extent.

That's why you can't snack on "Leptin Reset" - you have to spend the majority of your day in the fasted state. The only point of the big breakfast full of fat and protein is to keep metabolically damaged people that are usually ravenous full so they don't snack. If you have self control and can limit all your foods to 1-2 meals a day with zero snacking, you don't have to eat the big breakfast. In fact, it's healthiest to skip breakfast and eat a moderate lunch and a large dinner. It's just that generally overweight people have poor food control.

What this is is a "leptin resistance reset," not a "leptin reset". Oddly, "Leptin Reset" actually will lower your leptin levels, and if you go without carbohydrate for too long, your leptin levels will actually drop too low and you won't release stored body fat. How do you fix that - by truly resetting your leptin, which is a carb load over 2-3 days. But potato, potato...ok, that doesn't really work over the internet.

NOTE: eating 300g of carbohydrate a day won't necessarily make you leptin resistant. If you eat 1 meal a day and it contains 300g of carbohydrate, that probably won't give you blood sugar issues. Now, take those 300g of carbohydrate and spread it out over breakfast, coffee break, lunch, 3pm wake-up snack, dinner and a bedtime snack and THAT'S how you become leptin resistant - it's not the massive insulin spike, it's the constantly elevated blood sugar that's the issue."
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40339-4.html
            These come from a person who knows very little about how leptin works and what the true purpose of the reset is......it has little to do with leptin levels. He seems to think it does. It does not. What it does is activate older circadian rythmns by using timing since the metabolic ways the receptor in the hypothalamus should work no longer do. It is effectively exercising other neuro humoral circuits that are phyloogenetically older into action. This is just another way of using neuroplasticty. I would suggest your Choco friend read some of Paul Bacy y Rita's work before he spews nonsense from his gullet. Moreover, the Leptin Rx is a small defined period of time for most. Once the other circuits are working well based upon the clinical signs I mentioned I said using IFing ( carb loading occasionally is perfectly fine.) The Leptin Rx is for people who are LR. This cat seems to think this is how you must live forever..........no where did I ever say that. In fact I have said in many places that once your reset you can begin to add macronutirents back to achieve other goals you may have.......if you want to carb load and run or cross fit a ton you can. If you want body comp on a high protein mod carb and mod fat diet you can. YOu can also stay in an extended reset to lose a lot of weight if that is what you need.

I think this response is from someone who clearly does not understand the word context in any fashion and sees the world through one pair of IF glasses. IT works for him and that is all he cares about. I can send a 350 lbs patient to him and watch his advice epically fail anytime. IFing ddoes not work if leptin is broken. Ifing works because of AMPk signaling. It needs insulin and leptin working. If it is not IFing is an epic fail.

And many IFing threads are filled with failures.......because they were LR to begin with.

The Leptin Rx clearly says at the beginning you do this if you are LR. If you are not youre wasting your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by squigglywiggly View Post
              Jack what supplements would you say is best for gums that are not terribly healthy. I have read about K2, how about Niacin or Vitamin C and how much do you think would be good for getting good gum health back?
              Depends if you want it fast.......I like Peridex mouth rinse. It requires a Rx. IF you want natural you want to use polyphenols with lots of MMP inactivators in them. I am huge fan of Green Tea, Resveratrol turmeric, Pomegranite extract, grape seed oil extract and peppermint. All of these are MMP killers. Krill oil is even good at this.

Comment

• Sup, Doc. What are some good ways to maintain the integrity of the blood brain barrier? I know the basics (reduce inflammation, avoid various toxins), and I also believe that glucosamine facilitates fast and frequent repair. What are the other players in its health and the ways that it becomes damaged?
                Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• All - Thanks for the feedback regarding when you started feeling as though you could skip meals. Hearing about the wide range of times really helps set expectations I think. And Dr. K, your wisdom is noted!

RE: Green Tea. Taste totally matters. The other day hubby came home with a box that reminded my taste buds of rancid olive oil!!! Next time I"M at TraderJoes or WholeFoods I'll try theirs too. For now, my favorite "value" green tea is Bigelow. We're going to test the target brand too.

Shijin13 - Congrats on the CSA. The one we buy meat from works out to $8/lb for grass fed/ finished. Agreed - not much different than what our average Costco expenditure would wind up. Our Costco started carrying ground pastured Buffalo and that's toward 8 a lb.

I think I'm going to try Dexter's recipe too - as soon as I learn about maca! On the topic of turmeric and cumin there are lots of good recipes with those spices come from the Maghreb (north africa). Including good inspiration to crockpot those tougher cuts of meat. My first husband was Tunisian and the best thing I gained from that relationship was recipes. I also love Gormeh Sabzi, which is a persian dish - just leave out the beans and don't put it on rice... or use cauliflower rice instead. It has lots of turmeric. Gormeh Sabzi is one of my favorite dishes and you can even replace the herbs with frozen chopped spinach for a quick meal. I'll try to get some recipes posted over in recpies when I have some free time.

Comment

Jack what supplements would you say is best for gums that are not terribly healthy. I have read about K2, how about Niacin or Vitamin C and how much do you think would be good for getting good gum health back?
                    Check out this product on Amazon, 2000 reviews, it helped me, now I use after every meal. My dentist was very concerned with me developing periodontitis and after I started using water pik my gums healed and she is very happy.

Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser

Comment

• I've been LS for close to 2 months now. Something has changed in the last 2 weeks, instead of dropping weight every 12-14 days like I did during the reset, I am all of a sudden dropping weight nearly daily (100-200 grams overnight) or at least every second day. Has my pituitary finally come along to join the party? I haven't really cleaned up my diet either, I still have 50 gr of raw 85% chocolate once weekly, and Sat lunch is always expensive French cheese on slices of organic pear!

Doc, I have a question reg IF: (if anyone else knows feel free to share the answer) Is IF best done by skipping breakfast? Should last meal of the day still be done 3 hours prior to sleep? Note that I'm LS now. Also, how will a 24-hour fast affect me? Say if I ate breakfast but didnt eat for the next 24 hours? Thanks, just wanting to know my options once my weightloss stalls. Always happen at 65-67 kilos... I'm keen to find ways around it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
                        Depends if you want it fast.......I like Peridex mouth rinse. It requires a Rx. IF you want natural you want to use polyphenols with lots of MMP inactivators in them. I am huge fan of Green Tea, Resveratrol turmeric, Pomegranite extract, grape seed oil extract and peppermint. All of these are MMP killers. Krill oil is even good at this.
                        Thanks, I have the green tea, will hunt the rest down. Is peppermint tea okay or is peppermint oil or some other way better?

Comment

Thanks, I have the green tea, will hunt the rest down. Is peppermint tea okay or is peppermint oil or some other way better?
                          I would suggest you grow some mint plants either in the ground or pots. I have some that I originally purchases about four years ago to combat keto breath...the acetone smell eminating from my mouth and lungs. I would just strip leaves and chew on them and then swallow. Once I became keto adapted, the acetone breath abated...but I still chew on those leaves every now and then. They grow like a weed if you are not careful. I've had the same plant going for four years in a pot. Just need to take it out of the pot every six months and separate the roots as they get really rootbound.

One thing I really miss is lamb and my home made mint sauce...which is loaded with sugar....along with Yorkshire Pudding..made out of flour, milk, egg. I also truly miss English Pancakes which are thin no rise wheat flour and then once brown, fresh squeezed lemon juice and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Man, talk about spiking the blood sugar and to think I would have six or eight of them at a sitting.....Those were not the good old days...says my pancreas.

Comment

• Dexter, yes it is my sister with the boil problem. She is taking tumeric already, but not cumin. I'll tell her, thanks.

I was also re-reading Dr. K's Top Ten Paleo Supplement blog, and saw this:

"There is another big benefit that comes with topical epsom salt use and that is increasing the sulfur intake topically as well. Those neolithic diseases include T2D, sleep apnea sufferers, restless leg syndrome, and those with fibromyalgia. Sulfur intake is notoriously poor in vegetarian diets and helps explain why they suffer from so many skin and connective tissue disorders (psoriasis, eczema, dandruff, folliculitis (infected hair follicles), warts, and pityriasis versicolor, vitalize are some). Sulfur is an important component of our body’s proteins. It is present in our hair, skin, nails and tendons, and plays a critical role in maintaining the integrity and elasticity of connective tissues too. After adopting a paleo diet, if the patient still complains of persistent skin issues I usually suspect a sulphur deficiency and recommend Epsom salt baths. Sulfur is an element that is part of four amino acids called methionine, cysteine, cystine and taurine. Sulfur is found in many animal meats and eggs, so longer term it need not to be supplemented on a long term paleo diet. This is very common in veggie to paleo conversions because they are so deficient and tend not to become ravenous carnivores right off the bat. So this is a real nice way to get some sulfur into your body to get optimal. If you need more you can consider a sulfur supplement like dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)."

I told her about the lack of sulfur possibly causing the boils, which are staph-infected hair follicles. She admitted that she has not been eating much red meat lately, and doesn't eat many eggs. So she's going to try the epsom salt baths and adding those foods. And now the cumin.
                            Last edited by Owl; 10-21-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freshveggies View Post
                              I am very sensitive to Iodine. My doctor had me taking iodine and within a couple of days, I could not sleep. Now I am thinking that my lack of sleep might be connected to my high fish intake. I have been eating fish 2 times a day. A lot of cod which I think is higher in iodine. Any thoughts?
                              Could be. Are you also supplementing with fish oil? If so, do not take any after 5:00 p.m.

Comment

• Originally posted by Owl View Post
                                Dexter, yes it is my sister with the boil problem. She is taking tumeric already, but not cumin. I'll tell her, thanks.
                                When she has an active boil, tell her to make a tumeric paste, just a teaspoon and enough water to make it spreadable. Putting this directly on a boil is really great in helping heal it. Put a large band-aid over it and go to sleep. Do it nightly until it is healed. It will stain.

Comment

Working...
                                X