X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Toad
    started a topic Why is corn a grain?

Why is corn a grain?

Someone asked the following on my facebook fan page a few weeks ago...

"why is corn a grain? that's another question I just thought of. the native americans did corn - not sure if they count as the "agricultural era."

So, what do you guys think?

I think the first short question is irrelevant. It's kind of like asking... "Why is spinach a vegetable? Well, we made that up...

But what about the second question... the native americans did eat a lot of corn, right? Were they healthy and robust? Does corn have much gluten? Is it maybe a grain that is ok once in a while if your body does not go crazy after eating a little grain?

Is corn maybe a paleolithic food? (it does not matter to me... I eat bananas, peas, sugar snap peas, etc. - all are neolithic foods).

A heads up... I will be quoting my favorite responses for a blog post... thanks guys! It's time to build the community NOW!

Guest replied
    Originally posted by springnr View Post
    The Story of Corn - History Detective
    "Corn as we know it today would not exist if it weren't for the humans that cultivated and developed it. It is a human invention, a plant that does not exist naturally in the wild. It can only survive if planted and protected by humans.

Scientists believe people living in central Mexico developed corn at least 7000 years ago. It was started from a wild grass called teosinte. Teosinte looked very different from our corn today. The kernels were small and were not placed close together like kernels on the husked ear of modern corn."
    Exactly. Corn is a neolithic invention which we are better off not eating at all.
    Re green beans and sugar snap peas, the PB says that they are fine because you are really eating more of the pod than the pea, the pod being vegetable matter.

Leave a comment:

• springnr
    replied
    The Story of Corn - History Detective
    "Corn as we know it today would not exist if it weren't for the humans that cultivated and developed it. It is a human invention, a plant that does not exist naturally in the wild. It can only survive if planted and protected by humans.

Scientists believe people living in central Mexico developed corn at least 7000 years ago. It was started from a wild grass called teosinte. Teosinte looked very different from our corn today. The kernels were small and were not placed close together like kernels on the husked ear of modern corn."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Barb View Post
    The simple answer is: Grains are the seeds of grasses. Corn is a grass, corn kernels are grains.

Mesoamericans treated their corn by soaking it in a limewater (alkaline) solution prior to grinding or cooking. This neutralized the anti-nutrients, making the minerals and other nutrients more bioavailable, helping it to be a healthier source of calories. If you buy masa in the store (corn flour used to make tortillas) it is pretreated with lime in this way (and that is not the fruit).
    So wait...you can use masa and not worry about any antinutrients in your food?? That would put it on the level of potatoes for somebody buying from Safeway.

Leave a comment:

• Betho
    replied
    Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    So green beans and sugar snap peas are both legumes, yet most will think they are a fine part of a primal diet (rather than the matured, dried seeds).

Should we think of corn the same way? That is, is corn on the cob OK, but not matured, dried, ground corn seeds?
    Personally, I do! Though that's more a choice saying... I don't care if it's primal or not. I won't eat a lot of it, but when sweet corn is in season and fresh picked there's not much better! I have some standing exceptions for certain foods, like my flour-based cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. I consider corn on the cob part of my 20%.

Leave a comment:

• OneDeltaTenTango
    replied
    So green beans and sugar snap peas are both legumes, yet most will think they are a fine part of a primal diet (rather than the matured, dried seeds).

Should we think of corn the same way? That is, is corn on the cob OK, but not matured, dried, ground corn seeds?

Leave a comment:

• onalark
    replied
    The simple answer is: Grains are the seeds of grasses. Corn is a grass, corn kernels are grains.

Mesoamericans treated their corn by soaking it in a limewater (alkaline) solution prior to grinding or cooking. This neutralized the anti-nutrients, making the minerals and other nutrients more bioavailable, helping it to be a healthier source of calories. If you buy masa in the store (corn flour used to make tortillas) it is pretreated with lime in this way (and that is not the fruit).
    What Barb said.

Alton Brown has a couple episodes of corn that is fascinating, and where I first learned about nixtamalization (the treating of maize with limewater).

Good Eats S2E14P1: Ear Apparent - YouTube (just about corn)
    Good Eats Season 10 Ep1 (1/2) - YouTube (about nixtamalization)
    Last edited by onalark; 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Primal Toad
    replied

+1

Leave a comment:

• Barb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• paleo_hailey
    replied
    Yes, modern corn is a whole different creature. Corn is interesting if you're a history buff - it was one of the first "selectively bred" organisms, and today's corn looks nothing like its ancient cousins.

There's a good summary here: Quintessence of Dust: They selected teosinte...and got corn. Excellent!

Leave a comment:

• DarthFriendly
    replied
    Originally posted by Leida View Post
    Native Americains also fared just fine on beans and squashes. And I doubt any paleolithic ansector of ours cooked his mushrooms in butter or cured his bacon and then fried in his frying pan.

The idea is to cut out stuff that carries low nutritional load with a high caloric tag and stuff that harms your system. 99% of the time. I believe, corn is in the 'too much calories for just sugar and gods know what else & antinutrients' along with the other garins and grass-seeds.
    Agreed.

Native strains of maize combined with a lifestyle of intense regular physical activity, and LOTS of animal food probably got the carbs burned off pretty well.

Modern "Round Up Read" corn, probably not so much.

Leave a comment:

• Leida
    replied
    Native Americains also fared just fine on beans and squashes. And I doubt any paleolithic ansector of ours cooked his mushrooms in butter or cured his bacon and then fried in his frying pan.

The idea is to cut out stuff that carries low nutritional load with a high caloric tag and stuff that harms your system. 99% of the time. I believe, corn is in the 'too much calories for just sugar and gods know what else & antinutrients' along with the other garins and grass-seeds.

Leave a comment:

• DarthFriendly
    replied
    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    Modern day hybridized corn is much sweeter than the wild version used by the Native Americans. Also, when you have to grind something up by hand using a rock, you can't really eat all that much of it. They didn't go get a bag of Doritos from the supermarket.
    No, they ate a shit ton of corn in Mesoamerica.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Modern day hybridized corn is much sweeter than the wild version used by the Native Americans. Also, when you have to grind something up by hand using a rock, you can't really eat all that much of it. They didn't go get a bag of Doritos from the supermarket.

Leave a comment:

• carlh
    replied
    also, this was too good not to share:

DERP ON THE COB

Leave a comment:

Working...
X