No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ta!

Comment

Leaflard, I'd like to order a big box of it but do you have to pay import tax on it?

BTW I emailed biona, the brand that offers organic coconut milk, asking them if they use BPA's in their tin packaging. This is their response;

Thank you for your enquiry. We understand your concern regarding the use of Bisphenol A and are aware of the scientific beliefs that BPA may negatively affect health.

Our Biona can lacquers contain a small amount of this inert epoxy lacquer in order to prevent the metal can from reacting with the food contents and causing contamination and spoilage. We use a BPA lining simply because there are no other viable alternatives currently available in Europe.

Bisphenols are the building blocks of lacquers. During curing, the bisphenol becomes cross-linked to form an inert coat of lacquer. There are strict migration limits for bisphenol in food and all of our cans contain an amount far below the migration limits. However, there are no current lacquers suitable for our products that can be labelled completely bisphenol-free. Acrylic lacquers are in use for fish cans but have not yet proved to be satisfactory for products such as ours, but I'm sure it will come.

We can guarantee that the level of Bisphenol A in our cans is far below the European Union limit, and we are always searching for alternative lacquers.

I hope this answers your question, please do not hesitate to contact us again with any further queries.

Kind regards
      I'd quite like to know how much that "small amount" actually is. Especially when Mark wrote this a while back:

Well, Consumer Reports also employs its own food safety experts. The same ones who ran the test on the BPA levels of popular packaged items arrived at a slightly different safe daily dosage, believe it or not. Citing the fact that exposures of 2.4 micrograms of BPA per kilogram of body weight resulted in reproductive and sex hormone issues in rats (see above), the Consumer Reports food safety scientists “recommend 0.0024 micrograms per kilogram of body weight.” That means just a single serving of Del Monte green beans would put a 165-lb adult about 80 times past the Consumer Reports daily limit. Is that too much? Whom should we listen to – the FDA or Consumer Reports?
      read more: www.marksdailyapple.com/canned-food-safety/
      Last edited by Skydiver; 11-28-2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaflard View Post
        The So Delicious brand has thickeners and other crap in it, it's not pure coconut milk. I buy AROY-D coconut milk that is both preservative and BPA-free. You can order it via the internet here.
        but doesn't the inside of the carton have to be coated with some sort of plastic (and thus bpa or just bad plastic) in order to make it not leak through?
        Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Comment

Skydiver, I'm sorry I do not know anything regarding import taxes. Thai Imports has a Facebook page where you could ask, or alternatively, you could contact them via their website.

Muppet, I'd originally heard about this product from Chris Kresser's blog where he recommended their BPA and preservative-free coconut cream. The boxes are the same type used by Pomi tomatoes [which also are BPA-free]. T'hey're called Tetra-Paks. Here is a link to some info about them to satisfy your curiousity! Tetra Pak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

I don't know if you would be against the idea of this, but I buy my coconut cream at Walmart. It looks like what I posted on my blog: Coconut salmon loaf « The Clean Palate

One small box is $.87 each, of 200mL of coconut cream, including 52g of coconut fat, and minimal protein and carbs. Only added stuff are stabilizing gums - guar, xantham, and carageenen. If you're okay with that.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Tesco sell cartons of coconut milk. It is more watered down than the stuff in the tins. But it's pretty cheap. It's in the area with the soy milk (shudder)

I use the cartoned for smoothies and the like, and tins in curries and stuff.
              My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Leaflard View Post
                Skydiver, I'm sorry I do not know anything regarding import taxes. Thai Imports has a Facebook page where you could ask, or alternatively, you could contact them via their website.

Muppet, I'd originally heard about this product from Chris Kresser's blog where he recommended their BPA and preservative-free coconut cream. The boxes are the same type used by Pomi tomatoes [which also are BPA-free]. T'hey're called Tetra-Paks. Here is a link to some info about them to satisfy your curiousity! Tetra Pak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                thanks again ll contact them and in the mean time see if the Tesco over here sells the packaged stuff.

Comment

I like Aroy-D brand in the tetra-pak. I found it (as well as a dizzying array of CM options) at my local Asian market. Really good price.
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I found this at my local Thai shop!

It does cost £2.25, but then again you do get a litre. Ingredients state its 100% cocos milk and going by the contents there's no anti clotting agent involved. It does however have what appears to be an aluminium type lining..... is this any better than a BPA lining?
                    Last edited by Skydiver; 12-13-2011, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Nice info on here... I was using Biona coconut milk until I read about the BPA. I noticed that they make coconut milk by mixing 'coconut creamed' and water. Biona also sell 'coconut creamed' - but in a paper/cardboard package. I emailed Biona to ask them if their coconut creamed contains BPA. Here is their reply:

Thank you for your email. In regards to your query, I can confirm that the packaging used for the creamed coconut is BPA free. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
                      Kind regards,
                      Elisa Berger-McDonald
                      Customer Care
                      Biona
                      34A Clifton RoadKingstonSurrey,
                      KT2 6PH
                      Tel: +44 (0)208 547 2775
                      Fax: +44 (0)208 546 9942
                      Windmill Organics - Biona, Biofair, Amisa, Profusion, Quality Organic Food Products

Great idea to contact them - thanks! So now to make my own milk from the creamed coconut...

Comment

Originally posted by ABladeOfGrass View Post
                        So now to make my own milk from the creamed coconut...
                        I've tried this--it works but still has enough fiber that needs to be strained so check the prices of plain coconut to determine which is more efficient.

1 lb. of grated coconut from the co-op bulk is very inexpensive and makes about 6 cups of coconut milk in a coffee press. An old wine/vinegar/oil bottle with an airtight top will store it for about a week (shake before each use).
                        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                          They have to make it. Otherwise how would they find missing Hawaiian kids?
                          Hahaha!
                          You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

Working...
                          X