Ad Widget

Collapse

COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    dammit choco, like u i love to cook. im going to have to try this out as well. im in the same boat as u as far fat use. i have a bottle of extra virgin coco oil that ive been using for 2 months now and only barely half way. but im very intrigued on using this.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

    my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

    Comment


    • #17
      wow, several months? i order 6 lbs of butter every month, and we end up rationing it near the end. that's in addition to the pig fat, olive oil, and coconut oil that we use to cook.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

      Comment


      • #18
        Keep in mind I consider cooking oil largely as empty calories in a very similar way that sugar is empty calories. While oils may be better for you than sugar, they're all still processed foods. I always prefer real, whole foods over processed oils. Yes, even virgin coconut oil is a processed oil. I only use enough to lubricate a pan, so I go through 1-2 teaspoons of oil to cook several pounds of meat. I don't do the whole "butter covered steak" thing, either, and I don't put fat in my baking as fat+carbs is the most efficient way to put on body fat. I either eat low fat/high carb or moderate fat/low carb. If you're not trying to lose body fat and just be overall healthy I can see a person going through a lot more cooking fat, but for getting very lean it's empty calories.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

        Comment


        • #19
          I don't know why I didn't think to cook with my supply of cacao butter. I bought a block of it in April, and still have some left. I can't seem to get white chocolate right. It's great for coconut bark though and other nom bombs!
          --Trish (Bork)
          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
            I don't know why I didn't think to cook with my supply of cacao butter. I bought a block of it in April, and still have some left. I can't seem to get white chocolate right. It's great for coconut bark though and other nom bombs!
            Can you link to a paleo bark-recipe please?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
              Can you link to a paleo bark-recipe please?
              I will be putting up a really nice one in time for Christmas. In the meantime, here's one I found a few months ago & really like:
              Paleo Coconut Blueberry Bark «
              --Trish (Bork)
              TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
              http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
              FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #22
                Thanks Trish!

                I found an EBay-store that sells 1 kilo of cocoa butter for $39.99 Australian dollars. That's pretty good! I'm tempted to buy some to use in primal versions of my famous fudge.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I have the exact tub of cocoa butter you linked to in my pantry right not and I love cooking greens down in it, especially brussels sprouts. They already taste so rich and buttery when cooked well, and browning in cocoa butter is just great.

                  Tonight I'm planning on frying some chicken livers in it.

                  So go for it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Slightly OT, but have you ever found truffle oil to be worth the price? I'm a HUGE lover of mushrooms and I really miss the taste of pizza con tartufo in Italy. It's kind of similar to olive oil, with MUFAs being pretty high and PUFAs being 1g/14g, but it's just REALLY expensive XD
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

                    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      My understanding is that truffle oil isn't actually made from truffles and generally tastes bad. All I know is that I love mushrooms but can't even stand the smell of truffle oil.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by scotchncoffee View Post
                        My understanding is that truffle oil isn't actually made from truffles and generally tastes bad. All I know is that I love mushrooms but can't even stand the smell of truffle oil.
                        This.
                        Best to do the truffle shuffle and shuffle yourself away from the truffle oil!
                        --Trish (Bork)
                        TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                        http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                        FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Keep in mind I consider cooking oil largely as empty calories in a very similar way that sugar is empty calories. While oils may be better for you than sugar, they're all still processed foods. I always prefer real, whole foods over processed oils. Yes, even virgin coconut oil is a processed oil. I only use enough to lubricate a pan, so I go through 1-2 teaspoons of oil to cook several pounds of meat. I don't do the whole "butter covered steak" thing, either, and I don't put fat in my baking as fat+carbs is the most efficient way to put on body fat. I either eat low fat/high carb or moderate fat/low carb. If you're not trying to lose body fat and just be overall healthy I can see a person going through a lot more cooking fat, but for getting very lean it's empty calories.
                          with vitamins a and k in butter, i think we're going to have to agree to disagree. plus, i'm cooking for 4 so that makes a little difference. my kids actually eat a pat of butter here and there, and i see no reason why they shouldn't. at the same time, i don't bake as often as some. mostly the fats are used on meat and veggies (and the kids' morning pancakes).
                          my primal journal:
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I just ordered a pound of raw cocoa butter. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm sure you'll see pics of something made with it...
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Be careful when ordering raw. There aren't many companies that are certified raw.
                              Try Essential Living Foods who do have certification.
                              --Trish (Bork)
                              TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                              http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                              FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I got this item:

                                Amazon.com: RAW Cocoa Butter 1 Lb: Health & Personal Care

                                Seems to have solid reviews and the company is rated highly.
                                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X