X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Bork Bork
    replied
    Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
    Can you link to a paleo bark-recipe please?
    I will be putting up a really nice one in time for Christmas. In the meantime, here's one I found a few months ago & really like:
    Paleo Coconut Blueberry Bark «

Leave a comment:

• Glamorama
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    I don't know why I didn't think to cook with my supply of cacao butter. I bought a block of it in April, and still have some left. I can't seem to get white chocolate right. It's great for coconut bark though and other nom bombs!
    Can you link to a paleo bark-recipe please?

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Bork Bork
    replied
    I don't know why I didn't think to cook with my supply of cacao butter. I bought a block of it in April, and still have some left. I can't seem to get white chocolate right. It's great for coconut bark though and other nom bombs!

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    Keep in mind I consider cooking oil largely as empty calories in a very similar way that sugar is empty calories. While oils may be better for you than sugar, they're all still processed foods. I always prefer real, whole foods over processed oils. Yes, even virgin coconut oil is a processed oil. I only use enough to lubricate a pan, so I go through 1-2 teaspoons of oil to cook several pounds of meat. I don't do the whole "butter covered steak" thing, either, and I don't put fat in my baking as fat+carbs is the most efficient way to put on body fat. I either eat low fat/high carb or moderate fat/low carb. If you're not trying to lose body fat and just be overall healthy I can see a person going through a lot more cooking fat, but for getting very lean it's empty calories.

Leave a comment:

• Saoirse
    replied
    wow, several months? i order 6 lbs of butter every month, and we end up rationing it near the end. that's in addition to the pig fat, olive oil, and coconut oil that we use to cook.

Leave a comment:

• Chochobo
    replied
    dammit choco, like u i love to cook. im going to have to try this out as well. im in the same boat as u as far fat use. i have a bottle of extra virgin coco oil that ive been using for 2 months now and only barely half way. but im very intrigued on using this.

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up. As a chocoholic, I researched this a few months ago regarding cooking with cocoa butter, but I found that it's uber expensive compared to every other butters I can get locally. If you're more than willing to shell out the price, I'm looking forward to when you start posting recipes with them. You seem to be more adventurous with your cooking than even I :P
    I'm a very boring person when I'm not drinking, so I need something to make things exciting At $17 shipped, I can handle it. Yes, it's a lot per pound for a cooking fat, but considering a pound will last me a very long time...

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
    On a side note, does this mean that we can now make white chocolate made with stevia? I have a soft spot for white chocolate, even though it has no real cacao content, but the sugar in it always drives me away.
    Yep. There's something about making your own chocolate with cocoa butter, cocoa powder, coconut oil and extract that sounds interesting to me...and I just bought an 8oz breakaway candy bar mold. And you can't really get any unsweetened white chocolate bars anywhere can you, let alone sweetened with stevia only. Hmmm

Leave a comment:

• sakura_girl
    replied
    I'm glad you brought this up. As a chocoholic, I researched this a few months ago regarding cooking with cocoa butter, but I found that it's uber expensive compared to every other butters I can get locally. If you're more than willing to shell out the price, I'm looking forward to when you start posting recipes with them. You seem to be more adventurous with your cooking than even I :P

On a side note, does this mean that we can now make white chocolate made with stevia? I have a soft spot for white chocolate, even though it has no real cacao content, but the sugar in it always drives me away.

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    good luck. i can barely afford the food that i do use, no way i'd consider switching to something more expensive because what i have is acceptable. let us know how it goes!
    It's $18 for a pound of the stuff. With the amount of cooking fat I use, a pound of butter alone lasts several months and that's 20% water. I think it took me 3 months to finish an 8oz bar of Kerrygold. I'll get 6+ months out of a 54 oz container of coconut oil. That $18 cocoa butter will last months and months, so $3 per month is pretty cheap to me. The only cooking fat I really use with any decent speed is olive oil, and a 64oz container will last many months as well.
    Originally posted by greensleeves View Post
    Bwa-haha, big guy. Try to work with cocoa butter for very long. You will discover what all the chocolatiers know and what others have said: it's a PITA. And not as versatile as you might think for a wide range of foods.
    The melting point of cocoa butter is around 88*F I believe. Coconut oil is around 78*F. That should make cocoa butter a bit firmer than coconut oil, but not like working with lead or something. Stearic acid is longer chain than the lauric acid in coconut oil, so maybe that's a negative (lauric acid is 12:0 and stearic acid is 18:0), but it's still a very, very impressive fatty acid breakdown that is far better than most animal fats. I'm a curious guy. I think I'll have to try this and let y'all know how it goes
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-16-2011, 06:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• greensleeves
    replied
    Bwa-haha, big guy. Try to work with cocoa butter for very long. You will discover what all the chocolatiers know and what others have said: it's a PITA. And not as versatile as you might think for a wide range of foods.

Leave a comment:

• Saoirse
    replied
    good luck. i can barely afford the food that i do use, no way i'd consider switching to something more expensive because what i have is acceptable. let us know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    I'm getting bored with coconut oil. I have plenty of it and it lasts forever. Cocoa butter's fatty acid profile is pretty darn good - much better than nearly any fat I've seen. I may take the plunge.

Leave a comment:

• Saoirse
    replied
    i can go to any number of stores in town and buy organic, unrefined coconut oil. i've searched far and wide, and can only get organic food-grade cocoa butter online. i bet sweet potato fried in cocoa butter would be fabulous. i'd like to get some cocoa butter for making chocolates.

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    I want to try frying in it. How could sweet potatoes fried in cocoa butter not be delicious? It's basically frying with sugar free white chocolate.

Leave a comment:

• ljq309
    replied
    It smells like chocolate but it tastes like chocolate only after you add cocoa, lots of cocoa. It's not my idea of a treat, of course it may well be someone elses... And in my experience it's pretty expensive ($35 Australian per 500g pack). It'd be less hassle and less expensive to just buy a good chocolate... IMHO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X