X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChocoTaco369
    started a topic COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter

COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter

We all know how popular cocoa butter and shea butter are for moisturizing skin and hair, but does anyone here actually cook with the two? After doing very brief research, I can't figure out why they aren't more popular. Let's start with cocoa butter.

Cocoa Butter (1 Tbsp)
    13.5g Total Fat
    8.1g SFA (60%)
    4.4g MUFA (33%)
    0.4g PUFA (3%)

Cocoa butter is also rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin E.

Now, onto shea butter.

Shea Butter

16:0 Palmitic 4.0
    18:0 Stearic 41.5
    18:1 Oleic 46.4
    18:2 Linoleic 6.6
    20:0 Arachidic 1.3

If memory serves, palmitic and stearic are SFA's, Oleic is a MUFA and linoleic and arachidic are PUFA's. That makes shea butter break down as:

45.5% SFA
    46.4% MUFA
    7.9% PUFA

Shea butter is rich in beta carotene, is known for its phenolic compounds, has been used in Africa as a cooking oil for centuries and is sometimes used in Europe to make chocolate.

Raw food grade cocoa butter can be found here for $17/lb shipped.

Shea butter is very inexpensive and 2.3 pounds of food grade shea butter can be had here for $18 shipped.

For $35, I can get shea butter and cocoa butter, all food grade. They sure have great fatty acid profiles. Why aren't we using them to cook with? Is there anything stopping us? Surely someone here has used them before?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Oil, vegetable, cocoa butter
    Cocoa Butter Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Shea Butter: Fair Trade, Unrefined Shea Butter and African Black Soap
    Information On Shea Butter | LIVESTRONG.COM

• Chochobo
    replied
    i found some butter at my local health store but 10 bucks for 7oz, ill just wait for u to try it out before i commit and getting a pound online.

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I wonder if Cathi Gross from the reviews is lurking about somewhere here XD
    Wow, that is funny. She's dead on.

Leave a comment:

• sakura_girl
    replied
    Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I got this item:

Amazon.com: RAW Cocoa Butter 1 Lb: Health & Personal Care

Seems to have solid reviews and the company is rated highly.
    I wonder if Cathi Gross from the reviews is lurking about somewhere here XD

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Bork Bork
    replied
    Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
    when you receive, get a knife and think of cutting a brick

cause, you know, it's like shaving a brick
    why bother with a knife? Just you teeth
    OM NOM NOM!

Leave a comment:

• bloodorchid
    replied
    when you receive, get a knife and think of cutting a brick

cause, you know, it's like shaving a brick

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    I got this item:

Amazon.com: RAW Cocoa Butter 1 Lb: Health & Personal Care

Seems to have solid reviews and the company is rated highly.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Bork Bork
    replied
    Be careful when ordering raw. There aren't many companies that are certified raw.
    Try Essential Living Foods who do have certification.

Leave a comment:

• ChocoTaco369
    replied
    I just ordered a pound of raw cocoa butter. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm sure you'll see pics of something made with it...

Leave a comment:

• Saoirse
    replied
    Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Keep in mind I consider cooking oil largely as empty calories in a very similar way that sugar is empty calories. While oils may be better for you than sugar, they're all still processed foods. I always prefer real, whole foods over processed oils. Yes, even virgin coconut oil is a processed oil. I only use enough to lubricate a pan, so I go through 1-2 teaspoons of oil to cook several pounds of meat. I don't do the whole "butter covered steak" thing, either, and I don't put fat in my baking as fat+carbs is the most efficient way to put on body fat. I either eat low fat/high carb or moderate fat/low carb. If you're not trying to lose body fat and just be overall healthy I can see a person going through a lot more cooking fat, but for getting very lean it's empty calories.
    with vitamins a and k in butter, i think we're going to have to agree to disagree. plus, i'm cooking for 4 so that makes a little difference. my kids actually eat a pat of butter here and there, and i see no reason why they shouldn't. at the same time, i don't bake as often as some. mostly the fats are used on meat and veggies (and the kids' morning pancakes).

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Bork Bork
    replied
    Originally posted by scotchncoffee View Post
    My understanding is that truffle oil isn't actually made from truffles and generally tastes bad. All I know is that I love mushrooms but can't even stand the smell of truffle oil.
    This.
    Best to do the truffle shuffle and shuffle yourself away from the truffle oil!

Leave a comment:

• scotchncoffee
    replied
    My understanding is that truffle oil isn't actually made from truffles and generally tastes bad. All I know is that I love mushrooms but can't even stand the smell of truffle oil.

Leave a comment:

• sakura_girl
    replied
    Slightly OT, but have you ever found truffle oil to be worth the price? I'm a HUGE lover of mushrooms and I really miss the taste of pizza con tartufo in Italy. It's kind of similar to olive oil, with MUFAs being pretty high and PUFAs being 1g/14g, but it's just REALLY expensive XD

Leave a comment:

• scotchncoffee
    replied
    I have the exact tub of cocoa butter you linked to in my pantry right not and I love cooking greens down in it, especially brussels sprouts. They already taste so rich and buttery when cooked well, and browning in cocoa butter is just great.

Tonight I'm planning on frying some chicken livers in it.

So go for it.

Leave a comment:

• Glamorama
    replied
    Thanks Trish!

I found an EBay-store that sells 1 kilo of cocoa butter for $39.99 Australian dollars. That's pretty good! I'm tempted to buy some to use in primal versions of my famous fudge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X