Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katiedid View Post
    Awesome Shinjin13, thanks for the advice! Good to know it can be done!
    working and pumping is a challenge but it makes for a a sane mommy! IMO! I'll be back to eping next week as I'll be taking a trip away for 5days from ds... he's still going strong w/nursing at 20mths and I don't see him slowing down until he decides he's ready to wean...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

I am full primal and my wife is not so much. She eats chicken and fish and limited grains here and there. Our daughter is breast fed (8 months now). We supplement with veggies and fruit that we make with our vitamix. Organic spinich, sweet potato, mango, carrots, peas, apples, pears, squash etc. We do give her organic rice and oatmeal mixed in. And in all honesty, I don't think it's a big issue. I don't think my child needs to be primal prior to talking/walking. All her food is clean. She is a very happy baby! People stress out about everything!!!! Does it matter if your baby ate solids at 6 months vs a year, fruit before veggies, other mindless comparisons (even formula vs breastfed), unequivocally NO! It just doesn't. What's next, people afraid their babies will have metabolic syndrome do to eating rice or oatmeal LOL?
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
        What's next, people afraid their babies will have metabolic syndrome do to eating rice or oatmeal LOL?
        It may affect how they "taste" things in the future. Plus I would think they would thrive better without it...some babies have bad reactions to grains including (exema, mooshy poop) and want to eat more frequently (just like an adult would on a higher carb diet) so that means less sleep for the baby and you.
        Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

How would you ever be able to tell if it affected the way something tasted in the future. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Totally insane!!!!! Breast milk is basically a higher carb food!!! It's relatively low in protein, moderate fat and higher in lactose/carb!!!
          "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

How would you ever be able to tell if it affected the way something tasted in the future. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Totally insane!!!!! Breast milk is basically a higher carb food!!! It's relatively low in protein, moderate fat and higher in lactose/carb!!!
            Because of things I've heard between people that feed their baby's grains and those that don't. It seems the ones that feed them grains later one they can't get them to eat real food, and they want everything with SUGAR. It's certainly not INSANE! It's a theory. I would never feed my baby something I didnt think was healthy for myself..But do what you want
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

And in all honesty, I don't think it's a big issue. I don't think my child needs to be primal prior to talking/walking.
              Up to you. I don't really care what you do.

People stress out about everything!!!! Does it matter if your baby ate solids at 6 months vs a year, fruit before veggies,
              I never stressed about this. I did what I felt was right based on the research available.

There is a theory about palates, about gag reflex and proper swallowing and chewing that supports baby-lead weaning as opposed to pureed solids at an earlier age/development.

There are theories about food introduction, which foods to introduce first and how (weston a price foundation has a lot of it), as opposed to the "CW" about it.

There is plenty of research that demonstrates that breast milk is what is biologically normal for human infants (as if that was needed), and that it is a nutritionally superior food product to formula.

Just because a person is acting on alternative information does not mean that they are stressing out. It also doesn't mean that they are in "mindless comparisons."

Does it matter?

Yes, to me, it matters what I put into my son's body, how I treat his body, etc. I went against our culture to keep him in tact, because there is *so much* scientific evidence that not only demonstrates that cutting him is unnecessary, but that cutting him is *harmful* to his body, and the sexuality that he will develop. There is even emerging evidence that links circumcision and erectile dysfunction!

Based on my own research on the topic, I also chose to select and delay vaccinations, and at this point, my son has had only one vaccine.

So, the fact that I make *educated* decisions about how I raise my son *does* matter to me.

If you think that the decisions you make for your daughter "don't matter" -- then that's fine by me. But I think that the decisions that I make for my son DO matter for his wellbeing growing up and as an adult. And thus, I strive to make informed decisions.

Comment

If I had a dime for someone told me about some study or some BS about baby nutrition or sleeping or whatever I would be a billionaire. Here's my point, you could feed your kid Captian Crunch until he was 3 and I guarantee that he wouldn't be any different than a child who was "paleo". In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't/won't matter. You can believe it will and get all self-righteous about the decisions and food you put into your sons body but it doesn't change the outcome.

Smart choice, feed your child unprocessed foods... and the occasional doughnut... end of story.

Comment

If I had a dime for someone told me about some study or some BS about baby nutrition or sleeping or whatever I would be a billionaire. Here's my point, you could feed your kid Captian Crunch until he was 3 and I guarantee that he wouldn't be any different than a child who was "paleo". In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't/won't matter. You can believe it will and get all self-righteous about the decisions and food you put into your sons body but it doesn't change the outcome.

Smart choice, feed your child unprocessed foods... and the occasional doughnut... end of story.
                  Gosh, it sounds like you are very emotionally invested in this, but your opinions don't seem to have any evidenciary support. Do what you want, but I don't see a need to become upset when other parents consider clinical and scientific research, anecdotal evidence, their own n=1 experiences, and try to do best for their developing children. Making different choices doesn't cast judgement on your choices - you are free to continue as you will.

That said, part of primal is the acknowledgement that food is not numerical, context-less calories. The microscopic bits of your food matter and become YOU, your body. Little bodies and brains are growing and developing at an astounding rate, and malnutrition during infancy is certainly going to imact the child today and in the future. Children also have different needs than adults, so it is fair to ask and research how best to meet those needs.

I must also wonder if you missed some of the key poins of the PB lifestyle. You do not sound like you "get" what we are talking about, so your contribution to the discussion is of limited value.

Comment

Malnutrition, WTF, we aren't talking about that. Let me ask this, with "paleo" baby, what's the goal and how will it be measured? Is your kid going to be smarter? healthier? better at sports?

Anecdotal evidence? Not that this really matters...
                    I have two cousins both grew up on SAD. One went to MIT and works for Adobe as a chief architect. He's in shape and doesn't have any medical conditions. The other played for the Cincinnati Reds and the NY Yankees. I don't what they ate during their infant and toddler years had anything thing to do with anything.

I guess my main point is, you're gunna feed your kid whatever (and for the most part they are going to get the nutrients they need). Just don't think its really going to have any impact on who they become. You have stupid parents? Pretty good chance you're getting a D in Algebra!!!
                    Last edited by Fernaldo; 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Everything you're exposed to as a child (food, environment, nurture/nature) makes who you are as an adult. Personalities are developed by 4, foundations for life are developed when you're a child. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. Don't even get me started on saying breastfeeding vs. formula feeding is a mindless comparison.

Comment

Sorry, it's all mindless and your high if you really think a paleo baby diet vs a diet with some organic rice cereal or solids early or whatever has a major impact. That's the only thing I am talking about here. Not external stimulus, developing fine motor skills, the shitty air quality etc... I realize those all have an impact on your child's development.

Comment

I'm not sure if we have a troll, or what, but yes, I think it matters. And no, I don't stress over what I feed my child.

In fact, I stressed LESS than most parents. My son was interested early in foods that I was eating, around 5 months. So I let him play, and eat small bits. At home, I never pulverized the food. He went to daycare, so rather than stressing and explaining my position, I threw my food into the magic bullet and pulverized his food for them for a few months.

He never had grain cereals. Has he been completely grain free (he's 2.5 years old)? No, not by any means. My mother-in-law lives with us, I have two step daughters who come over with junk, grandma, etc., etc. He doesn't live in a bubble. But for the majority of his food, he eats whole, unadulterated stuff.

Though he has gone through picky stages, he eats a wide variety of foods. His yogurt is plain and unsweetened, he'll eat a limited amount of veggies (loves kale chips, sometimes carrots), loves sweet potato and squash, eats a good amount of meat (most kids that age eat very little meat). And he usually tries things. Last night he tried some grapefruit and decided it was icky. But he kept exclaiming that he "tried it!"

Yes, I think it matters. I see my stepdaughters and how one of them will only eat chicken nuggets, buttered noodles and cheese pizza. Her teeth are crooked, she's overweight, and she seems to always be sick with something or another.

Kids develop their palate based upon what you feed them most of the time. Yes it matters. No, IMHO you don't need to stress when someone gives your kid a cookie.

Comment

better eat some nature food

Comment

Working...
                            X