Ad Widget

Collapse

Grass-fed in the Charlotte, NC area? (Looking for trimmings and bones)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass-fed in the Charlotte, NC area? (Looking for trimmings and bones)

Been stopping into local "natural" markets and talking with the butchers, and in most cases they don't cut the meat there and therefore don't have the right parts.

I don't have the space for a large freezer and not ready to do the "half cow" thing yet, but does anyone know of a good grass-fed source in Charlotte at a good price, where one can also purchase fat/ trimmings?

Been zeroing in on my macronutrients and seeing good results.. but want to increase fats with CLA- particularly beef fat, so I can render tallow from grass-fed meat. From my understanding, that should be a staple on Primal.

Matthews Farmers Market. Baucom's is the local farmer (located in Monroe) who supplies them. Baucom's Best 100% Grassfed Beef. I also special ordered grass fed fat to make tallow from Hillbilly Produce Market (they have grass-fed beef etc). Baucom's supplies them also. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by astronmr20 View Post
      Been stopping into local "natural" markets and talking with the butchers, and in most cases they don't cut the meat there and therefore don't have the right parts.

I don't have the space for a large freezer and not ready to do the "half cow" thing yet, but does anyone know of a good grass-fed source in Charlotte at a good price, where one can also purchase fat/ trimmings?

Been zeroing in on my macronutrients and seeing good results.. but want to increase fats with CLA- particularly beef fat, so I can render tallow from grass-fed meat. From my understanding, that should be a staple on Primal.
      Grass Fed Moo is where I get my GF beef in the CLT area. 2.40 a pound.

Comment

Not sure if the Charlotte store does this, but when I asked the meat cutter at Earth Fare, he said that he packs up the bones/trimmings in paper and sells them in the freezer section as "dog bones". Sadly, they had no tallow, but the bones made excellent bone broth. That's where I found liver as well.

Comment

Hodges Farm and Pumpkin Patch, Charlotte, NC

Comment

I get my meat from Windy Hills- they aren't cheap though but awesome. She is at Atherton Market and has beef, pork and chicken and lamb- all pastured.

You might try some of the ethnic markets on Central Avenue- a friend of mine used to get free bones and scraps for his dog from the middle eastern on market- Cedar Market. Not sure if that is grass fed though.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I just got my second carton of eggs from Windy Hills a few days ago. Kind of pricey at 4.50-$5/dozen (had to pay surcharge since the lady from Windy wasn't there the second time), but good eggs. Thinking of trying some of the grass fed meat next time, how is it?

Comment

I hear ya on the egg prices- but that's just what they cost in Charlotte. There is a big demand for local foods....a few years ago I saw two women get into an argument about the last dozen eggs at one of the vendors.

I've had her beef, pork, lamb and chicken. They are low on beef right now as they don't slaughter cattle this time of year as they feed supplemental hay due to the pastures being sparse due to weather and she said it impacts the quality of the meat. The ground beef is good as are the steaks. My gripe about her beef is the cuts are ginormous- 12 oz steaks and such. It's also all leaner than the beef at Harris Teeter. The pork is amazing and I think better than the beef. The chops are delish, I've bought pork shoulder, so good and the bacon is divine, but so expensive. Lamb is good. I like her chicken too- it's good. I get the leg/thigh combos.

If you like cooking, there is a spice shop across from the market that sells all sorts of good spice rubs for your meat!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food
                  Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Haha I wish i could have witnessed that. Eggs are serious business i guess. And wait, are you telling me Harris Teeter sells grass-fed beef?

I saw that spice shop too. I also hit Healthy Home Market a little further down the road today and noticed they have a local egg source there from Roosterhill farms. Not sure how those pair up though.

Comment

Working...
                    X