Two Simple Questions ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Simple Questions ...

(1) Just noticed my Swisse Ultivite Multivitamin supplement says "contains gluten from oats". I'm trying to be 100% grain free, should I worry about this or is it likely to be so small its irrelevant?

(2) As part of trying to transition my kids to a healthier primal style diet, today for the first time I tried them on organic sausages. They were a lamb/beef combo certified gluten free. I haven't read too much about sausage on here yet, would you consider these primal friendly?

Thanks in advance!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

For me, that would make me not take those vitamins, but depends on how far you want to take this lifestyle

I buy preservative free sausages from my grass fed/hormone free butcher, they are made with actual meat and no fillers, so I am happy for us to eat them.

Comment

I'm keen to go pretty hardcore. Dammit, there's $25 wasted!

Yep, I got the sausages from the organic butcher made with actual meat and lamb, grass fed etc. Cooked them tonight with four free range grass fed chicken eggs .... tasty!
      Buzz71
      Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net

Comment

Sounds like you are doing awesome
        Sorry about the wasted $$ though, I have recently done the same with toothpastes, and cleaners etc that I had bought a lot of but we are avoiding as many nasties as we can, so they had to go.

Comment

1 - if you want to be 100%, then avoid the vitamins since you know they have gluten

2 - they sound ok, but I'd be curious if there are other ingredients besides meat and spices. They sound pretty primal though.
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
            Sounds like you are doing awesome
            Sorry about the wasted $$ though, I have recently done the same with toothpastes, and cleaners etc that I had bought a lot of but we are avoiding as many nasties as we can, so they had to go.
            Tell me more on the toothpastes and cleaners, I hadn't thought of that!!
            Buzz71

Comment

I try to get my micronutrients from food if possible. To this end, I work about 3-6 oz of liver and 2-3 servings of fish into my diet a week. I also eat brazil nuts I've soaked and toasted for selenium. These three foods cover most of the micros I need, and I don't expose myself to huge doses of Vitamin E and A, as found in most multivitamins. Offal's not for everyone, I know, but I love it, so no problems here.

Good luck! Label-reading and awareness of your nutritional surroundings is half the battle, and it sounds like you've got those down. Yay!
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Thanks! Paleotrack is really helping with the micronutrients, so I might be ok there, but I think the fish oil would be good to ensure higher O3 levels.
                Buzz71

Comment

lol, how much gluten do you REALLY think are in those multivitamins? It is probably equivalent to eating a crumb of bread.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                    lol, how much gluten do you REALLY think are in those multivitamins? It is probably equivalent to eating a crumb of bread.
                    I admit I had this thought too ... but still, if there are better options, it cant hurt to be totally free!
                    Buzz71

Comment

dont waste your cash, finish them and if it really bothers you, dont buy them again (taking them wont kill you lol)
                      "Todayís technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Comment

About to start the Whole30 tomorrow though
                        Buzz71

Comment

I agree with the idea of finishing them off and not buying that brand again. What gluten there is in there is probably inconsequential.... I mean, unless you make all your food yourself, chances are it's been in contact with gluten of some sort....

Kudos on your committment to PB, tho!

p.s. watch out for vitamins in liquid capsules because they often use soy oil as filler =D
                          Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                          Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                          "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

It's interesting isn't it ...one of the thing I've been wondering about is "dimimishing returns".

For example, simply cutting grains, processed foods, sugars and poor carbs, and following the basic PBF ... surely that puts you miles ahead.

I wonder how much extra benefit there is from all the other stuff? Take the organic vs conventional purchased foods for example ... is it another quantum leap or are we just adding another few perecent on?

How much benefit is there in going full blown strict absolutely no deviation (which I am currently aiming for!)
                            Buzz71

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
                              It's interesting isn't it ...one of the thing I've been wondering about is "dimimishing returns".

For example, simply cutting grains, processed foods, sugars and poor carbs, and following the basic PBF ... surely that puts you miles ahead.

I wonder how much extra benefit there is from all the other stuff? Take the organic vs conventional purchased foods for example ... is it another quantum leap or are we just adding another few perecent on?

How much benefit is there in going full blown strict absolutely no deviation (which I am currently aiming for!)
                              Not a lot, especially at first. See how you go eating conventional food from the primal range

Also be aware that our farming practices aren't the same as the USA. Lamb is almost entirely pasture raised and finished, beef is substantially pasture raised and finished (may be grain finished on way to market). Chicken and pork production are much more in kilter with the USA (remember Keating's piggery investment?)

Kangaroo is of course wild harvested. Unfortunately we only get the lean bits

After that, the benefits are really marginal
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X