Ad Widget

Collapse

Can't increase carbs without MAJOR weight gain!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's most likely water and glycogen as your muscle stores fill back up.I was really low carb ( under 30g a day) and upped them to around 100-150 to match my activity level and gained about 4 pounds back without any change in my BF percentage.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforanswers View Post
      Yes, I am hypothyroid. I was on synthroid for 15+ years. I had a new doc just put me on Naturethroid in December. Need to get my labs checked again to see how things are looking.
      What prompted the shift from Synthroid to Naturethroid? Adding a thyroid med with T3 can, in the beginning, increase hunger and then food intake? Have you tried tracking what you eat to make sure you have not upped the overall amount.

Also, for some people the amount of T3 found in Naturethroid is too high and they may become overmedicated.. And, some people actually gain weight when hyPER.

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
        What prompted the shift from Synthroid to Naturethroid? Adding a thyroid med with T3 can, in the beginning, increase hunger and then food intake? Have you tried tracking what you eat to make sure you have not upped the overall amount.

Also, for some people the amount of T3 found in Naturethroid is too high and they may become overmedicated.. And, some people actually gain weight when hyPER.
        I honestly don't know why my new doc suggested the switch. I think he's just more for natural hormones instead of synthetic, which I generally agree with.

I definitely haven't had an increase in hunger or food intake, but that's really interesting about gaining weight when HYPER. I read something else tonight about becoming more HYPO taking Naturethroid since I already have high reverse T3, which I assume means I can't convert T4 to T3. If that's the case I would think I would have gained weight on synthroid too though.

Comment

I honestly don't know why my new doc suggested the switch. I think he's just more for natural hormones instead of synthetic, which I generally agree with.

I definitely haven't had an increase in hunger or food intake, but that's really interesting about gaining weight when HYPER. I read something else tonight about becoming more HYPO taking Naturethroid since I already have high reverse T3, which I assume means I can't convert T4 to T3. If that's the case I would think I would have gained weight on synthroid too though.
          Have you actually been tracking what you eat? Fat is quite calorie dense and if you added carbs but didnt decrease fat this could also be a problem.
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
            Have you actually been tracking what you eat? Fat is quite calorie dense and if you added carbs but didnt decrease fat this could also be a problem.
            Yes, I track it every day in the FitDay app. I'm usually right around 17-1800 calories for the day.

Comment

The first time I carbed up after being VLC for almost a year, I looked and felt like a total fat ass from all the water weight. I agree, its uncomfortable and looks nasty. Good news: it levels out; I don't know why but the carb bloat decreases.

On another note, once upon a time I gave myself (short-lived, fortunately) hypothyroid from a raw vegan and juice fasting diet. I was lucky to escape surgery and meds thanks to a whip-smacking doctor who gave me an anti-vegan grocery shopping list. Anyway, this history is one of the reasons I switched from VLC primal to carby primal, so I get where you're coming from -- I myself was learning that chronic low carb (esp with an active lifestyle) is believed by some to compromise the thyroid and I was scarily showing some of these shitty symptoms and so ran to the carby hills. (For the record, I was doing amazingly well before the crashing, so there's the lesson that its always good to keep an honest ear to the ground about how you're feeling now/recently, and not clinging to anything.) Anyway, I think you are making a wise move. One should always be willing to make changes switch gears and not ignore signals.... The bloat will pass. It did for me. Anyway, there is something very nice about being happy with your fitness and body "with water weight" and not some BS-unwatered version of yourself.

And hey, if you end up needing to do some swim suit modeling session, you can always do some zero carbing to manipulate a more cut look.

Comment

Since low carb isn't dangerous, why don't you just stay low carb? My ancestral diet is reindeer with berries, greens and tubers in season. The season would be short up there in Finland. I don't think I'm meant to eat a lot of carbs. Maybe you aren't, either.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

You haven't said what tests your doctor runs to determine treatment protocol but I would make sure to get TSH (pretty useless after treatment, IMO), FT4, FT3, rT3 and antibodies.

If you have test results, posting them here might help.

Comment

Research on traditional societies that ate very low carb diets showed that they ate animal parts that most people today not only shun, but don't have access to - organ meats, eyeballs, thyroid and adrenal glands, etc. VLC diets in traditional societies are not like the average VLC diet today, which is probably why long-term VLC diets end up adversely affecting health.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                      "your poor body, which has been going through agonizing hell from being constantly depleted on a chronic low carbohydrate diet"

Do you have any support for this assertion? I have never read that eating low carb is necessarily 'dangerous' for the body.

I've eaten low carb for years, and all my lab tests are always superb, I work out regularly, and I feel great. My body does not seem to be experiencing any 'agonizing hell.'
                      You have no idea how insulin resistant you are. I bet if you were to sit down and eat 4 sweet potatoes you'd want to fall asleep.

The problem with low carbohydrate diets are they're counterproductive to performance. They are a healing tool when you've destroyed your carbohydrate metabolism from man-made frankenfoods, omega 6 fats and chemical sweeteners/additives. When your primary metabolism is damaged - your glucose metabolism - you have to drop your carbs to unnaturally low levels and use a different metabolism until your primary metabolism heals. This is not ideal. You may think you feel great, but you feel great because you're moving from a damaged metabolism to a properly functioning "backup metabolism." Any properly functioning metabolism is going to make you feel great versus the damaged one. Once your primary metabolism is healed, moving off your VLC diet will make you feel 100 times better.

When I originally got off grains and fully utilized my fat metabolism at all times, I felt fantastic. I spent several months in this zone. The bitch was I could never drop any body fat, even though I felt better. Once my metabolism was efficient on fat and I moved to a more isocaloric diet with fat AND carbs in significant amounts (though cyclic, I do higher fat/lower carb or low fat/high carb), then the benefits and the performance really went through the roof. If I ate VLC, I wouldn't be able to lift a damn thing, and getting off a low carb diet was the best thing I ever did for my health. Carbs aren't the enemy - individual foods are.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

ay not be real weight, but it is a major PITA! I can't go out and buy new clothes every time this happens!
                        Water weight gain has absolutely ZERO effect on how your clothes fit. You bloat, but it is a "strong bloat". It makes your muscles stick out and gives you a pump, it does not affect your waistline. Please don't fall for the BS insulin fairytales. If insulin makes you fat, I can blame my pencil for spelling words incorrectly. Excess calories make you fat, regardless of where they come from.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Since low carb isn't dangerous, why don't you just stay low carb? My ancestral diet is reindeer with berries, greens and tubers in season. The season would be short up there in Finland. I don't think I'm meant to eat a lot of carbs. Maybe you aren't, either.
                          I disagree. The top 10 effects of low carb:

1.) Low testosterone
                          2.) Increased estrogen
                          3.) Increased cortisol
                          4.) Increased serotonin (BAD BAD BAD = depression!)
                          5.) Thyroid issues
                          6.) Lack of energy
                          7.) Brain fog
                          8.)10-15 extra pounds that NEVER go away
                          9.) Insulin resistance
                          10.) Carbohydrate Nazism and an irrational, ridiculous fear of fruit and tubers (the most dangerous effect of all!)

The modern low-carb diet is nothing like a traditional low-carb diet. How much heart, liver, kidneys, eyes, fish heads and whale blubber are you eating? I'm guessing next to none. Eating a low-carb diet based around muscle meat with no starch or fruit and some insignificant amount of vegetables and dairy is incredibly unhealthy. When you're eating liver, kidney, eyeballs and brain every week, I'll condone your low-carb diet. Until then, I'll call you unhealthy because you're excluding an entire macronutrient for absolutely no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            I disagree. The top 10 effects of low carb:
                            The modern low-carb diet is nothing like a traditional low-carb diet. How much heart, liver, kidneys, eyes, fish heads and whale blubber are you eating? I'm guessing next to none. Eating a low-carb diet based around muscle meat with no starch or fruit and some insignificant amount of vegetables and dairy is incredibly unhealthy. When you're eating liver, kidney, eyeballs and brain every week, I'll condone your low-carb diet. Until then, I'll call you unhealthy because you're excluding an entire macronutrient for absolutely no reason.
                            Yes, there are quite a few essential sugars required for building glycoproteins in our bodies that can only realistically be obtained in sufficient quantity from vegetables and fruit in a 'modern' primal diet.

Thus modern low-carbers are at high risk of being deficient in some essential sugars unless they eat animal organs that do contain significant levels.

Some info here:
                            Essential Sugars and Plant Lectins « The Failsafe Diet Explained
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                              It's just water, your body isn't used to carbs so of course it's going to bloat
                              up and hold water.

So whatcha do, is increase your carbs to 80 a day, drink a crap ton of water during the
                              day as well, let your body get used to the carbs and the water, then within a week, your
                              body will let go of the carb bloat.

It'll be uncomfortable at first, but worth it in the long run.

For every carb you eat, your body holds onto 3 grams of water. Once it gets used to your
                              updated carb intake, it'll let go of any excess.

Trust me.

I'd been low carb forand the same thing happened.

One day I just said fook it and upped my healthy carbs to 150 a day.

I gained 7lbs of water weight over night, but it was gone the next week.... and then
                              you know what happened? I lost an f-ton of weight after increasing carbs.

Go figger!

Julie
                              After a year-and-a-half on low-carb (under30carbsdaily) I am making the transition away from it. I happened upon this post and am so grateful that I did! I am miserably bloated and have gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X