Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NDF View Post
    What your describing is actually quite common when people go too low carb and then reintroduce them. It's likely reactive hypoglycemia from going low carb. I experienced it every time after I came off a low carb diet. Moral of the story - don't go low carb! If you keep including carbs in your meals(and in all of your meals), it should eventually go away.
    This is good to know! I am glad others have experienced this and I am not just crazy. I have been experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia ever since I increased my carb intake after my low carb/no starch trial. I didn't actually increase my carb levels too much, just eat less fruit and added starches like sweet potatoes and rice. I was only starch free for about 3.5 weeks but my experience was NOT good. Since then, I have been having hypoglycemia symptoms like nausea, cold sweats, heart palpitations and black-outs which get particularly bad when I exercise and don't have some carbs right away. I also need to eat regular meals or else things are not so good. I never experienced any kind of blood sugar problems or any of these symptoms prior to going low carb and eliminating all starches.

I posted on a different thread that I think based on my body's reactions, I need to have some starch, particularly on exercise days. They said in the other thread that that my metabolism was "already screwed-up" and this just proves it. Uh, then why is it that I never had any issues fasting or going with prolonged hours without eating after exercise prior to my low carb stint? I would imagine that if I had had blood sugar issues before, I would have experienced it when fasting prior to my low carb disaster.

I am hoping my metabolism will settle down and go back to normal soon since I have reintroduced some starch in my diet. Note I am still keeping it to about 100g on non-exercise days and about 200g on exercise days. I feel much better now with no sugar cravings at all.

Moral of the story: your body needs some carbs- especially after a workout!
    Last edited by Fiji; 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Here's where I buy my sea salt:

Sea Salts & Bath Salts | SaltWorks

I have always wondered what the black salt tastes like (other than salt?)
      Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
      2/16/13 at 241 pounds
      Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

I think theres some confusion here. Salt, unless it specifically says iodized doesn't contain any iodine. Pink Himalayan or not. The pink comes from iron oxide in it. Himalayan salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and actually comes from Pakistan.

In fact the mountain regions of central Asian have a big problem with lack of iodine. They have the highest percentage of cretins in the world. Cretinism being a condition in humans who don't get enough iodine. Here's a story about an Australian doctor who added iodine to salt in Tibet to solve the problem Catalyst: The Man Who Saved a Million Brains - ABC TV Science

Australia has a big problem at the moment and the government mandated compulsory adding of iodine to bread. People started using fancy sea salts and Himalayan salts and the iodine quantity in diets dropped off dramatically causing thyroid problems. Here in Canberra there is practically no iodine in the soil and people around here have known thyroid issues from lack. I regularly see women mainly with goiters.

Doctors are recommending here going back to regular iodized sea salt instead of salt flakes etc.

My wife and I switched back after seeing the episode of catalyst linked above.
        Last edited by thanatos; 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos View Post
          I think theres some confusion here. Salt, unless it specifically says iodized doesn't contain any iodine. Pink Himalayan or not. The pink comes from iron oxide in it. Himalayan salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and actually comes from Pakistan.

In fact the mountain regions of central Asian have a big problem with lack of iodine. They have the highest percentage of cretins in the world. Cretinism being a condition in humans who don't get enough iodine. Here's a story about an Australian doctor who added iodine to salt in Tibet to solve the problem Catalyst: The Man Who Saved a Million Brains - ABC TV Science

Australia has a big problem at the moment and the government mandated compulsory adding of iodine to bread. People started using fancy sea salts and Himalayan salts and the iodine quantity in diets dropped off dramatically causing thyroid problems. Here in Canberra there is practically no iodine in the soil and people around here have known thyroid issues from lack. I regularly see women mainly with goiters.

Doctors are recommending here going back to regular iodized sea salt instead of salt flakes etc.

My wife and I switched back after seeing the episode of catalyst linked above.
          Was just going to say I was at my local health market and was going to pick up some Himalayan Salt and on the jar it said "does not contain any iodine" this applied for black salt and a wide variety of colored salts. Found this strange.

Is there a salt that contains both iodide and iodine ? After seeing this I think sticking with my sea veggies and iodized sea salt may be my best move, even though some of the salt does contain dextrose and some other crap

Comment

Originally posted by Fiji View Post
            This is good to know! I am glad others have experienced this and I am not just crazy. I have been experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia ever since I increased my carb intake after my low carb/no starch trial. I didn't actually increase my carb levels too much, just eat less fruit and added starches like sweet potatoes and rice. I was only starch free for about 3.5 weeks but my experience was NOT good. Since then, I have been having hypoglycemia symptoms like nausea, cold sweats, heart palpitations and black-outs which get particularly bad when I exercise and don't have some carbs right away. I also need to eat regular meals or else things are not so good. I never experienced any kind of blood sugar problems or any of these symptoms prior to going low carb and eliminating all starches.

I posted on a different thread that I think based on my body's reactions, I need to have some starch, particularly on exercise days. They said in the other thread that that my metabolism was "already screwed-up" and this just proves it. Uh, then why is it that I never had any issues fasting or going with prolonged hours without eating after exercise prior to my low carb stint? I would imagine that if I had had blood sugar issues before, I would have experienced it when fasting prior to my low carb disaster.

I am hoping my metabolism will settle down and go back to normal soon since I have reintroduced some starch in my diet. Note I am still keeping it to about 100g on non-exercise days and about 200g on exercise days. I feel much better now with no sugar cravings at all.

Moral of the story: your body needs some carbs- especially after a workout!
            Sounds very much like me! Don't know what to do now, have been not "very low carb" (between 100-200 gms/day or sometimes around 50-150 gms/day) for awhile now, but still occasionally get very nervous/anxious/brain fog around meal times even when I am not "hungry." Has been going on since I tried the leptin reset experiment & failed 6 weeks in because my anxiety/depression came back bad when I was not sleeping well/hot at night during that stage of the reset. Also going without even light exercise was NOT good for my health.

Not sure how my thyroid or hormones could play a role in this, but when I tried upping my iodine kelp tabs to four a day I got really hot & lots of energy but at bedtime (took kelp late in day, should not have). Some have said that supplementing with too much kelp will cause irreparable damage??? Not sure if the two pills I am taking now will do that or how much I should even be taking. Have tried to start researching this, but as I am a mom, wife, geologist, etc. I do not have abundant amounts of time to devote. Any help here would be appreciated.

I like knowing that its not all "wine & roses" for others who are primal too, since I was kind of feeling like "the only one" who was not 100% perfect all of a sudden after going primal.

Comment

Sorry if this was already posted, but I don't have time to go through 9 pages:

Nutrition Facts
              Serving Size: 1 1/4 Teaspoon
              Servings per Container: 0
              Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
              Calories 0 *
              Calories from Fat 0 *
              Cholesterol *
              Iodine *
              Protein *
              Total Carbohydrate *
              Sodium 480 mg 20%
              *Daily value not established.

From your pink salt, it doesn't list any iodine in the salt. Confused
              "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

3. Goitrogens. That's right, it's not just what you AREN'T eating, it's what you ARE eating. Everything has a balance: there are nutrients, and there are anti-nutrients. Well, there are pro-thyroid foods and anti-thyroid foods.
                This has been exaggerated. If you read real scientific studies they say LARGE amounts of RAW goitrogens have a slight effect. You would have to eat bathtubs full of these vegetables, and eat them raw, to have a significant effect on your thyroid. Eating normal portions, or eating them cooked, will have no effect on your thyroid. I know because I am hypothyroid and need to take dessicated thyroid meds. My doctor tests my T3 and T4 levels every 3 months. Sometimes I eat broccoli frequently. Sometimes I don't. It's never had any effect on T3/T4 levels. I've never had to increase my meds because I ate more broccoli one month, or cut back on my meds because I ate less. It's just insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by EvansMom View Post
                  Was excited to try supplementing with more iodine, popped three pills last night....sleep was terrible! Kept waking up with weird dreams (like on the order of 7 times or more in only a few hours) and I was so hot!!!!

Maybe I shouldn't take this at night?

This morning I took two iodine pills...feel rather good energy wise. Better than I have lately and that is on very little sleep. Bought shrimp at store. Ate tuna fish last night. And this morning.

Today iodine seems to be helping a lot mood & energy wise. Should I up the amount I take after a little acclimation or what in your opinion is a good lever? I read the OP takes 5?
                  OMG - - I'm not the only one!!! Lol. I have been searching everywhere to see if anyone else has experienced very restless sleep combined with SUPER HOT episodes while supplementing w/iodine. I wake up frequently (3-5 times/night) but it's the times I wake up feeling like I'm ON FIRE that I know I'll be awake for awhile. It's like --something-- is coursing through my veins, forcing me to be awake. I still feel crappy and nowhere near rested though, so getting up is hugely unappealing. I've been trying to google this but all the hits lead to articles about menopause, and I'm only 30 so I really don't think that's it. Super weird but at least I finally know I am not the only one this happens to!

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
                    Just got my lab reports back. Would love any good hackers to take a look at this for me...

Hormone Test
                    Free T4 (blood spot) 1.0 ng/dL
                    Free T3 (blood spot) 2.3 pg/ml (L)
                    TSH (blood spot) 2.0 uU/ml
                    TPO (blood spot)* 12 IU/ml

Range
                    FT4 0.7-2.5
                    FT3 2.5-6.5
                    TSH 0.5-3.0
                    TPO 0-150 (70-150 borderline)
                    Looks like your T3 could be higher. But this may have nothing to do with what you're eating. The thyroid can get clogged with environmental toxins, as well as neurotoxins from chronic infections. I would think eating primal would improve thyroid function, if anything, by detoxing it and by boosting immune function to fight off any low-grade chronic infections one might have.

Comment

great original post here! Needs a bumb! So glad I found it Choco! I recently quit the chocolate (felt like it was affecting my thyroid!) and no more alcohol and no onions...cut back on cruciferous veggies as well. I never felt "right" on low card and this helps substantiate that feeling for me. Also used to take an anti-epileptic that DID interfere with conversion of thyroid hormone (only NOW discovering this after taking the drug for umpteen years!) Now to focus on eating to support my thyroid---and not to limit my carbs!
                      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                      http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        Does all salt have iodine? I use a sea salt, not labled as iodized, and I eat a lot of it.
                        This reply is more than 4 years late but I'm sure it may be of help to some.

Even though you may be using sea salt, it is still, likely, "purified". Avoid the white stuff is good advice whether it is salt, sugar, flour... what-have-you... if it is purified, it is usually "less good" for you.

I do have a recommendation. Use the Utah-based "Real Salt" brand... "earthen" (for lack of a better term) salt AND seaweed powder/flakes. Both are going to give you more of many different micronutrients. Real Salt does not have enough iodine in and of itself but that's just how it is with idodine. You get a little bit from a LOT of sources including the seaweeds.

Comment

In researching for a friend, I came across this tidbit from the "Autoimmune Paleo" website:

"It is a myth passed around in the alternative health community that goitrogens cause a goiter, which is an enlargement of the thyroid gland. As Dr. Kharrazian points out in his most recent article, goiters are not caused by iodine deficiency or by eating goitrogens – they are caused by the inflammation from chronic autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto’s). In order to get rid of a goiter, a person needs to address the autoimmune thyroid disease, not remove goitrogens from their diet."

Comment

Working...
                          X