Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
    True. Most olive oil has been mixed with things like soybean oil and such. There's no way in hell that the sardine packing companies are spending the time or money searching out the purest forms of olive oil.

It doesn't even TASTE like olive oil. Sorry kids, if you had it tested, I'm pretty sure it'd come back as mostly bad oils.
    I agree. You can get them in straight spring water too and that is what I have switched to a while back. I use to love the ones in tomato sauce, but now I just get them with as little gunk as possible and doctor em up myself if I feel like it.

Comment

I've never bought sardines before. I just considered them for the first time yesterday when I went to the store. But they are expensive! $4 for a little tiny can? Seriously!?

Comment

Hmm... maybe I'll swap to the ones in spring water, drain the water, and add a slosh of my own olive oil which is definitely the good stuff... I bet the more pronounced real olive oil flavor will be nice with them too. I've just always eaten them in oil and thought the ones in water weren't as good. I think I only have a can or two left... my next purchase I'm gonna try it!
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I was always hesitant about them but after people (and my mother) suggested them as a great superfood I decided to give them a try. They are very filling and I'll have a can or two per week. Much tastier than plain canned tuna. I highly recommend giving them a try.

Comment

I love sardines in olive oil! Must get through 5 tins a week. I try and get extra virgin just to avoid refined oil.

Comment

As a Finnish person, I grew up with sardines and other fish. The sardines were/are used to make a chowder, along with potatoes, onions and whatever vegetables wanted, along with milk. Since I do have dairy (local, raw and organic) I make the chowder using cauliflower in lieu of potatoes, plus other vegetables.

Comment

Here something that really sucks. I keep emergency food rations in my basement. This is tricky, because it has to be canned food, that doesn't require a can opener, that has a long sell by date, and isn't too expensive. Well, guess what? Sardines are perfect. Some of them have a 3 year sell by date. I was reading this thread and thought, "hey, it's about time to start replenishing my emergency sardines". I have probably 30 or 40 tins in a box. So, I checked them out. UGGH!!! All in soybean oil! Bought them before I understood oil problems well enough.

What to do now? Is this soybean oil that unhealthy that I have to throw out 30 cans of sardines?

Comment

No, just don't drink the oil and don't make the sardines your daily staple.

Comment

I subscribe to sardines from Amazon - extra virgin olive oil, free shipping, $30.33 for a box of 12 if you subscribe. The ingredients on the package say Brisling sardines, extra virgin olive oil, salt. There are several brands that claim to be extra virgin olive oil. I keep a few cans at work for those days I arrive without a lunch. I like these, they have not been boned and skinned. The bones are the best (crunchy) part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
                      I've never bought sardines before. I just considered them for the first time yesterday when I went to the store. But they are expensive! $4 for a little tiny can? Seriously!?
                      Wrong shop!! They are quite cheap, usually.

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                        I love sardines in olive oil! Must get through 5 tins a week. I try and get extra virgin just to avoid refined oil.

So do I - but since so much EVOO seems to be not what it seems - I can no longer believe that the EVOO in sardines is not oiled (as opposed to watered) down. I now buy sardines in tomato - but is there soy oil in that??!!

Comment

I buy King Oscar brand, which is the best tasting one brand imo. Its about 2.50 in my local walmart, so its a super snack for a nice price.

Comment

Hiiii! Dumb question!

Ok I ate the sardines. I liked them so much that I'm going to rotate out my tuna-fish cans and just switch to sardines because I like the flavor better. But now I have a wonderin'...

Sardines are herring. And there's something called "Kipper snacks" that are also herring. I used to get these canned kipper snacks packed in hot sauce and eat them all the time until the store I went to that sold them, jacked the price up and I just quit buying. (Yes, I was slow to catch on that it's all just herring) I think the kipper fish are just bigger than the sardine fish. So anyway. Are these the same in Omega-3 content or is there some kind of difference that we should know about?

Comment

My only complaint is that there aren't many brands of low sodium sardines... because I'd like to eat them more often. ='(
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Spubba View Post
                                Hiiii! Dumb question!

Ok I ate the sardines. I liked them so much that I'm going to rotate out my tuna-fish cans and just switch to sardines because I like the flavor better. But now I have a wonderin'...

Sardines are herring. And there's something called "Kipper snacks" that are also herring. I used to get these canned kipper snacks packed in hot sauce and eat them all the time until the store I went to that sold them, jacked the price up and I just quit buying. (Yes, I was slow to catch on that it's all just herring) I think the kipper fish are just bigger than the sardine fish. So anyway. Are these the same in Omega-3 content or is there some kind of difference that we should know about?
                                Yeah. I'm not a big fish person, but sardines are OK. Turbot and salmon are still my favorites because they are less "fishy" tasting. Best thing is the convenience. Keep forever in the can too.

Will have to look into kipper. Looks like a cousin of the sardine. I don't eat much tuna. Have been told to avoid fish that feed primarily on smaller fish and live to old age. More chance of pollutant contamination. Don't know if that's true, just what I've read.

Comment

Working...
                                X