Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take out the bones and spinal cord before eating them.

Like a lot of foods, you can get a more expensive organic and sustainable version than just what's in the grocery store. Wild Planet is a good brand which is in my local natural food store. When they say Olive oil, there are no other additives. But to be honest, for me it's cheaper just to get the canned salmon.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Ok, can I ask how much you all spend on a can of sardines? I went to buy some the other day and they were $3.50-$4.00 for a tiny can. That's pretty pricey for 3 bites of food.

Comment

I haven't touched these since the first time I tried 'em. Was thoroughly grossed out.

*sigh* I may have to try just one more time!
        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
          I haven't touched these since the first time I tried 'em. Was thoroughly grossed out.

*sigh* I may have to try just one more time!
          You can always get the boneless, skinless kind and smash 'em up and pretend they're tuna or salmon, maybe?

I don't dislike fish as a whole but my main "weirdness" about eating fish is I don't like that strong fishy odor up in my nose, which puts me off the stronger varieties, it makes me feel like I'm eating something rotten. I didn't get that with the sardines though.

One small nitpick I have with sardines is that they seem overpackaged. You get a box, and inside the box is a tin, which holds (as another poster put it) 2 or 3 bites of food. Seems like a waste to me and I know I'm paying for a lot of packaging when I drop $3 on a tin of sardines!

Comment

do you eat them out of the can
            or only do this if you are a fan
            do you use them in a dish
            What else can be paired with this fish?

~sorry for the dr suess.. it just slipped out. Legit inquiry though
            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

$3.50 seems high. In my area you can get regular Bumblebee brand for $1.39 and $0.99 on sale. But that's the regular brand with the soy added to the mustard etc. For $2.99 a can I'd rather get the good canned boneless skinless salmon, which is two servings.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
                Ok, can I ask how much you all spend on a can of sardines? I went to buy some the other day and they were $3.50-$4.00 for a tiny can. That's pretty pricey for 3 bites of food.
                Walmart King Oscar Brand for 2:50.

Comment

Score!! Ok.. bought some sardines. I will try today. Ingredients: salt, water sardines. I refrained from tomato based ones (darn nightshade) and from the mustard sauce as it has HFCS and MSG. 95 cents/can- small can. They had a much larger can but in a tomato sauce.
                  Karin

Comment

+1 on King Oscar (Costco sometimes has a sale). Never buy they soy-oil packed, though you could drain very thoroughly. Mustard and other flavors often have sugar, so beware.

Going to try kippered herring, see what it's like.

Comment

I go with the skinless, boneless in olive oil, but drain the olive oil, basically because I doubt it's EVOO, and I don't want the extra O6. I generally eat three cans a week, along with a can or two of the kippered herring for lunch, and then will work another fish in for dinner one night a week so I get my 16 oz of fish in. I have not tried the whole sardines yet, but love the boneless, skinless variety.

Comment

ok.. why when I opened the can I was expecting something small like anchovies is beyond me. They are only a little larger than the mackerel in the canned mackerel. YUM! Whoever said it was better than tuna was right on the money. Especially since tuna is hard to find anymore without broth in it

So besides having a little vinaigrette with them, how else do you partake?
                        Karin

Comment

I just ate sardines but they weren't the good kind. Have to go stock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka View Post
                            I go with the skinless, boneless in olive oil, but drain the olive oil, basically because I doubt it's EVOO, and I don't want the extra O6. I generally eat three cans a week, along with a can or two of the kippered herring for lunch, and then will work another fish in for dinner one night a week so I get my 16 oz of fish in. I have not tried the whole sardines yet, but love the boneless, skinless variety.
                            It was tasty!
                            Karin

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                              I just ate sardines but they weren't the good kind. Have to go stock up.
                              good kind?? I just had vandecamps in water.
                              Karin

Comment

Originally posted by ravingkiko View Post
                                I subscribe to sardines from Amazon - extra virgin olive oil, free shipping, $30.33 for a box of 12 if you subscribe. The ingredients on the package say Brisling sardines, extra virgin olive oil, salt. There are several brands that claim to be extra virgin olive oil. I keep a few cans at work for those days I arrive without a lunch. I like these, they have not been boned and skinned. The bones are the best (crunchy) part.
                                sweet thanks for the link. That's a great deal
                                SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Comment

Working...
                                X