X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• athomeontherange
    replied
    Originally posted by Pooka View Post
    I go with the skinless, boneless in olive oil, but drain the olive oil, basically because I doubt it's EVOO, and I don't want the extra O6. I generally eat three cans a week, along with a can or two of the kippered herring for lunch, and then will work another fish in for dinner one night a week so I get my 16 oz of fish in. I have not tried the whole sardines yet, but love the boneless, skinless variety.
    It was tasty!

Leave a comment:

• athomeontherange
    replied
    ok.. why when I opened the can I was expecting something small like anchovies is beyond me. They are only a little larger than the mackerel in the canned mackerel. YUM! Whoever said it was better than tuna was right on the money. Especially since tuna is hard to find anymore without broth in it

So besides having a little vinaigrette with them, how else do you partake?

Leave a comment:

• fiercehunter
    replied
    I just ate sardines but they weren't the good kind. Have to go stock up.

Leave a comment:

• Pooka
    replied
    I go with the skinless, boneless in olive oil, but drain the olive oil, basically because I doubt it's EVOO, and I don't want the extra O6. I generally eat three cans a week, along with a can or two of the kippered herring for lunch, and then will work another fish in for dinner one night a week so I get my 16 oz of fish in. I have not tried the whole sardines yet, but love the boneless, skinless variety.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegans Wake
    replied
    +1 on King Oscar (Costco sometimes has a sale). Never buy they soy-oil packed, though you could drain very thoroughly. Mustard and other flavors often have sugar, so beware.

Going to try kippered herring, see what it's like.

Leave a comment:

• athomeontherange
    replied
    Score!! Ok.. bought some sardines. I will try today. Ingredients: salt, water sardines. I refrained from tomato based ones (darn nightshade) and from the mustard sauce as it has HFCS and MSG. 95 cents/can- small can. They had a much larger can but in a tomato sauce.

Leave a comment:

• Mike7
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Ok, can I ask how much you all spend on a can of sardines? I went to buy some the other day and they were $3.50-$4.00 for a tiny can. That's pretty pricey for 3 bites of food.
    Walmart King Oscar Brand for 2:50.

Leave a comment:

• oxide
    replied
    $3.50 seems high. In my area you can get regular Bumblebee brand for $1.39 and $0.99 on sale. But that's the regular brand with the soy added to the mustard etc. For $2.99 a can I'd rather get the good canned boneless skinless salmon, which is two servings.

Leave a comment:

• athomeontherange
    replied
    do you eat them out of the can
    or only do this if you are a fan
    do you use them in a dish
    What else can be paired with this fish?

~sorry for the dr suess.. it just slipped out. Legit inquiry though

Leave a comment:

• Spubba
    replied
    Originally posted by patski View Post
    I haven't touched these since the first time I tried 'em. Was thoroughly grossed out.

*sigh* I may have to try just one more time!
    You can always get the boneless, skinless kind and smash 'em up and pretend they're tuna or salmon, maybe?

I don't dislike fish as a whole but my main "weirdness" about eating fish is I don't like that strong fishy odor up in my nose, which puts me off the stronger varieties, it makes me feel like I'm eating something rotten. I didn't get that with the sardines though.

One small nitpick I have with sardines is that they seem overpackaged. You get a box, and inside the box is a tin, which holds (as another poster put it) 2 or 3 bites of food. Seems like a waste to me and I know I'm paying for a lot of packaging when I drop $3 on a tin of sardines!

Leave a comment:

• patski
    replied
    I haven't touched these since the first time I tried 'em. Was thoroughly grossed out.

*sigh* I may have to try just one more time!

Leave a comment:

• Sunnivara
    replied
    Ok, can I ask how much you all spend on a can of sardines? I went to buy some the other day and they were $3.50-$4.00 for a tiny can. That's pretty pricey for 3 bites of food.

Leave a comment:

• oxide
    replied
    I take out the bones and spinal cord before eating them.

Like a lot of foods, you can get a more expensive organic and sustainable version than just what's in the grocery store. Wild Planet is a good brand which is in my local natural food store. When they say Olive oil, there are no other additives. But to be honest, for me it's cheaper just to get the canned salmon.

Leave a comment:

• dbalch
    replied
    Originally posted by Spubba View Post
    Hiiii! Dumb question!

Ok I ate the sardines. I liked them so much that I'm going to rotate out my tuna-fish cans and just switch to sardines because I like the flavor better. But now I have a wonderin'...

Sardines are herring. And there's something called "Kipper snacks" that are also herring. I used to get these canned kipper snacks packed in hot sauce and eat them all the time until the store I went to that sold them, jacked the price up and I just quit buying. (Yes, I was slow to catch on that it's all just herring) I think the kipper fish are just bigger than the sardine fish. So anyway. Are these the same in Omega-3 content or is there some kind of difference that we should know about?
    Yeah. I'm not a big fish person, but sardines are OK. Turbot and salmon are still my favorites because they are less "fishy" tasting. Best thing is the convenience. Keep forever in the can too.

Will have to look into kipper. Looks like a cousin of the sardine. I don't eat much tuna. Have been told to avoid fish that feed primarily on smaller fish and live to old age. More chance of pollutant contamination. Don't know if that's true, just what I've read.

Leave a comment:

• cori93437
    replied
    My only complaint is that there aren't many brands of low sodium sardines... because I'd like to eat them more often. ='(

Leave a comment:

Working...
X