Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea about buying plain and flavoring it yourself with lemon or paprika.

I like Herring fillets and I just checked the ingredients. Herring fillets, canola oil, salt and smoke. The tin said it was packaged in olive oil, but that's not even listed on the ingredient listing. If I ate plain herring packaged in water instead, this would be Primal?

I found this on a google search:
    "Sardines and herring are members of the very large fish family, Clupeidae, and as such, they have similar nutrient profiles for omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, selenium, and other nutrients. Young herring are usually labeled and sold as sardines, but in fact, the FAO/WHO Codex Standard for Canned Sardines cites 21 species that may be classed as sardines."
    Last edited by MerryRobyn; 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM. Reason: thought about the Herring in the cupboard

Comment

I usually eat the Wild Planet ones with the bones and skin. The olive oil is so greeeeeeeeeeen.

Comment

Originally posted by wayfaring stranger View Post
        This thread inspired me. I picked up a couple options to try. The one I just ate was a little $1.39 Kroger brand tin - sardines, olive oil, salt. Outside of smelling like an old man who just put in a long day down at the docks, they're pretty great. My girlfriend gagged and I really can't blame her. If this was six months ago, I'd have done the same. The saltiness was a little tough at first, but I could get used to them as an occasional snack. We'll see how the other varieties go down...
        Reese brand makes a low sodium skinless boneless in spring water version which is excellent and less than 2 bucks a can through subscribe and save at Amazon. They come in packs of 10 and are really good. Firm and not salty at all. I add my own seasonings to them, including excellent olive oil and herbs, and marinate for a few hours in a glass container in the fridge. You can also use mustard and dill, garlic, etc. and really get creative. Fine product and a good thing to get addicted to for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by ugotllamad View Post
          I usually eat the Wild Planet ones with the bones and skin. The olive oil is so greeeeeeeeeeen.
          Yeah, Wild Planet in olive oil have by far the best flavor, and I think I've tried every brand out there. They also use BPA free cans if you care about that. I can get them for around $2, though I haven't seen them that cheap online.

Comment

Originally posted by missblue View Post
            Reese brand makes a low sodium skinless boneless in spring water version which is excellent and less than 2 bucks a can through subscribe and save at Amazon. They come in packs of 10 and are really good. Firm and not salty at all. I add my own seasonings to them, including excellent olive oil and herbs, and marinate for a few hours in a glass container in the fridge. You can also use mustard and dill, garlic, etc. and really get creative. Fine product and a good thing to get addicted to for a change.
            I like the sound of that. I'll be experimenting with some of your suggestions for sure. One of my little variety pack was in spring water, so I might mess around witht them tonight and see if I can't get creative. I'm also a Prime member on Amazon, so you're right in my wheel house.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Season Brand skinless boneless sardines in olive oil. I usually drain the oil (otherwise it gets messy!) and add mustard or a little bit of natural ketchup (not much sugar.) My dog goes nuts when I pull out the tin, and he always gets half a fishy. :-)
              28, female, 5'2"
              Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
              1/12/12: 135 lbs.
              Goal: 120 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post
                Here something that really sucks. I keep emergency food rations in my basement. This is tricky, because it has to be canned food, that doesn't require a can opener, that has a long sell by date, and isn't too expensive. Well, guess what? Sardines are perfect. Some of them have a 3 year sell by date. I was reading this thread and thought, "hey, it's about time to start replenishing my emergency sardines". I have probably 30 or 40 tins in a box. So, I checked them out. UGGH!!! All in soybean oil! Bought them before I understood oil problems well enough.

What to do now? Is this soybean oil that unhealthy that I have to throw out 30 cans of sardines?
                You could donate the cans of sardines to a food bank. When people are hungry, they aren't as picky. You might be able to use this as a tax right off too because of the quanity of goods.
                Last edited by MerryRobyn; 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM. Reason: Didn't quote properly

Comment

Originally posted by gcbcb View Post
                  Yeah, Wild Planet in olive oil have by far the best flavor, and I think I've tried every brand out there. They also use BPA free cans if you care about that. I can get them for around $2, though I haven't seen them that cheap online.
                  +1

If I hadn't discovered Wild Planet brand I wouldn't be eating sardines. I just wish they sold smoked oysters!
                  "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Originally posted by MerryRobyn View Post
                    You could donate the cans of sardines to a food bank. When people are hungry, they aren't as picky. You might be able to use this as a tax right off too because of the quanity of goods.
                    That's what I normally do with my emergency food six months before the cans' expiration date. I'll eat some of these, but most of them will be donated.

Comment

Originally posted by denasqu View Post
                      +1

If I hadn't discovered Wild Planet brand I wouldn't be eating sardines. I just wish they sold smoked oysters!
                      Talk to me @ the oysters..have seen them...working on the guts to try them
                      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Be careful. I noticed the other day that most brands of smoked oysters are packed in cottonseed oil. The only brand I've found in olive oil is Crown Prince.

Of course I guess I could just go find a reef and get my own and smoke them but that's so much work... and thanks to BP they probably will be soaked in crude oil anyway
                        "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Anyone aware of the difference between the Crown Prince Natural and Crown Prince EVVO Sardines that does NOT say Natural ? The ingredients are identical, information on the package is identical except for "Made for Natural Market", price has a $1 difference.

I purchased both from Amazon and can't tell what exactly is different between the two.

Comment

I pour some of the oil off. LOVE my sardines.

Comment

The BOMB...

sardines.PNG
                              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

We recently discovered these treasures - Products: Bela Sardines
                                The cayenne pepper ones are my fave so far. They are $3.15 at our local co-op, but if we buy a case of 12 the price goes down to $2.68. Well worth it for the taste and convenience. They are also caught off the coast of Portugal, not the mushy Thai sardines.

In a pinch we'll stock up on Chicken of the Sea brand. Not my fave, but often on sale for under a dollar. I used to eat them on a rye crisp, but they are also ok chunked up on salad.
                                Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Working...
                                X