No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sardines are also loaded with RNA ~ youth serum from the inside out

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration! I bought a can along with some anchovy fillets last week, but have yet to try them. I definitely will soon!

Comment

I order 12 cans at a time from vital choice, same with tuna..and when I feel like I can really splurge I have them send a couple bags of their scallops, omg, doesn't get any better than wrapping bacon around scallops and grilling!!

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
          I order 12 cans at a time from vital choice, same with tuna..and when I feel like I can really splurge I have them send a couple bags of their scallops, omg, doesn't get any better than wrapping bacon around scallops and grilling!!
          I order mine from Vital Choice too. Their product is slightly more expensive, but they come in BPA free "tins" that are slightly bigger than conventional sardine cans. I think Wild Planet has BPA free tins too, but they get their Sardines from California. The best tasting Sardines, in my opinion, come from Portugal. "Sardine" is a catch all term for a few varieties of small fish species. The ones from America and the North Sea tend to be the smaller, Brisling sardines. I don't care for them at all. Especially when eating them plain. The flavor profile of a Portuguese sardine is so much better. The Supermarket by me sells Palacio de Oriente brand which isn't quite as good as Vital Choice's supplier and isn't BPA free, but works in a pinch.

In terms of Olive Oil vs Water vs Tomato, do remember that BPA concerns increase with the acidity of what the Sardine is packed with. If you are concerned about BPA, avoid lemon and tomato unless the can itself is BPA free. Also note that according to Vital Choice, in a FAQ where somebody called them out over the seemingly inexplicable advantage in nutritional content of their Olive Oil sardines compared to Spring Water version, they stood by their claims saying they didn't understand it at first either but their testing company speculated it has to do with olive oil being less leach prone.

Comment

I know that they are not sardines, but are smelts just as healthy??

Comment

Originally posted by Metric View Post
              I know that they are not sardines, but are smelts just as healthy??
              Smelts are very close to sardines as far as nutrition I believe.
              Except that my only real experience with them is the traditional New England whole (minus head and guts) and fried method.

My MiL is from upstate NY and smelting is traditional in her coastal Sicilian immigrant family as a local replacement for the sardines and anchovies from their traditions at home.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                Smelts are very close to sardines as far as nutrition I believe.
                Except that my only real experience with them is the traditional New England whole (minus head and guts) and fried method.
                Yeah me too, but I though maybe if I used butter and baked them, they may be just as tasty?? Hmmm
                Last edited by Metric; 05-14-2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Sardines are one of the numerous subspecies of herring. So if a sardine is a herring, what are anchovies? Anchovies are an entirely different species. Sardines are a bigger fish than anchovies (sardines can be 12 to 20 centimeters in length whereas anchovies usually don’t get much bigger than 5 centimeters). Saradines vs Anchovies teast are also a huge diffrence.

Comment

Another great thing is you're eating the whole animal.... http://www.tykeanimal.com

Comment

Fresh sardines, if you can get them, are delicious too

Comment

Originally posted by denasqu View Post
                        Be careful. I noticed the other day that most brands of smoked oysters are packed in cottonseed oil. The only brand I've found in olive oil is Crown Prince.

Of course I guess I could just go find a reef and get my own and smoke them but that's so much work... and thanks to BP they probably will be soaked in crude oil anyway
                        Originally posted by denasqu View Post
                        Be careful. I noticed the other day that most brands of smoked oysters are packed in cottonseed oil. The only brand I've found in olive oil is Crown Prince.

Of course I guess I could just go find a reef and get my own and smoke them but that's so much work... and thanks to BP they probably will be soaked in crude oil anyway
                        Just drain the oil off, then get the rest by folding in a paper towel and squeezing. And learn the lesson, if you already don't know, "The dose makes the poison." Small amounts of not Primal foods won't hurt you.

Comment

Rather than trying to eat more omega-3 to compensate for omega-6 in the diet, I think the better choice is to remove the omega-6 from the diet.
                          My opinions and some justification

Comment

Working...
                          X