Ad Widget

Collapse

Not Losing Weight After Strictly Following Primal for 6 Months

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    So well said sbhikes. It's tough to feel like you really try, follow the rules and still don't get anywhere. I wonder, because you and I are so similar in height / weight if there is something particular about that threshold that makes it difficult to lose the weight?

    Truth be told, I won't give up on Primal because I know that if I even as much as LOOK at that pizza or bagel, I'll ruin those 5 lbs I've sacraficed so much for.
    Last edited by mnicoll; 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      130 is healthy for 5'2" but yes, 115 is definitely reachable. My happy weight at 5'5" is 117-120, but I have a slight bone structure. Honestly, it comes down to what you can maintain easily/healthfully and not feel deprived on.

      If you've been eating 700ish calories for a long time with no breaks, you could have some adaptation. That would explain the coldness (though IF can do that too).

      What always helps me lose fat and get fitter is intervals. Sprints on the treadmill usually (I live in an area with crappy sidewalks, no way am I sprinting full out unless I wanted a broken kneecap). Carbs and fats are good for hormones and protein would offset muscle loss (and aid in building).

      Perhaps try adding some carbs? That seems to work for a lot of people. If you eat a sweet potato, then feel warm and fuzzy, it's totally what the doctor ordered.

      Comment


      • #18
        tired of whiteknuckling it through my hungry days
        You should eat when you are hungry.

        IF'ing shouldn't make you hungry. Does it? I never get hungry, really, unless I go, like, two days without food. Hmm. I wonder how many IF'ers are feeling hungry or deprived when they fast?! Could this be an indicator that it's not working properly?
        Crohn's, doing SCD

        Comment


        • #19
          I think there may be something to eating a bit of sweet potato and being a true observer of my body / weight following that. I too think that 115 is reachable...it seems like it would be healthy.

          I'll be sprinting tonight, this has been great encouragment to do so!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by mnicoll View Post
            I'm always cold. Always.
            I think you're right----slow and steady and I'll need to eat more meat throughout the day.
            I do love those sprints! I think I should make more of an effort to integrate them into my hikes as I go.
            Red flag! Have you been eating low enough carb to be in ketosis for the whole 6 months? You might be freaking out your thyroid. Less than 50g of carbs a day really isn't good for most people to do long-term. It's more of a kick-start.

            Try playing with your diet a bit. A woman your size and activity level probably doesn't need 2000 calories, but you almost certainly need more than 1000. Probably 1600-1700 is a good range to shoot for (I know because I'm pretty close to the same size). Increase carbs (good, healthy ones!) and protein and see what happens. Try intermittent fasting and see what happens. Try eating only when you are really, truly hungry (even if it's not a common meal time) and see what happens.

            Your original post didn't have a ton of detail, but it sounds like you've been doing the same thing every day for six months and expecting something new to happen. You said you're "strict" Primal, but the guidelines honestly are fairly broad and allow wiggle room for individual differences. So change it up. Experiment on yourself. See what works for you.

            Comment


            • #21
              I always feel slightly hungry. Even after I eat, an hour or so later, I'll feel that twinge of hunger.

              This is when I think to myself "oh good, that means I'm losing weight". That's probably an unhealthy thought, but it's true.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                You should eat when you are hungry.

                IF'ing shouldn't make you hungry. Does it? I never get hungry, really, unless I go, like, two days without food. Hmm. I wonder how many IF'ers are feeling hungry or deprived when they fast?! Could this be an indicator that it's not working properly?
                I wonder this, too. Now, I listened to my stomach growling, repeatedly. I think, then, it's really hungry.
                If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                Comment


                • #23
                  Great advice Danielle. I have been eating low enough carb to be in ketosis for 6 months. There has maybe been a day or two when technically, I'm not in ketosis. I have had my thyroid tested and it was a-ok. Which, insanely enough I had hoped would reveal something was going on because then I'd "have an answer" to this struggle!

                  I honestly think there is just some missing link here---maybe I'm in ketosis too much, maybe I need a little sweet potato, maybe I need to sprint more....will try all of them!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Have you been lifting relatively heavy things? It doesn't have to be anything regularly scheduled, but something you can do in spare time.
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Yeah, I have been doing some heavy lifting. My husband thinks I'm nuts! I will take every opportunity I can find to do heavy lifting.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by mnicoll View Post
                        I always feel slightly hungry. Even after I eat, an hour or so later, I'll feel that twinge of hunger.

                        This is when I think to myself "oh good, that means I'm losing weight". That's probably an unhealthy thought, but it's true

                        I've started a new job and work over 70 hours a week in front of the computer. I spend every weekend doing 5-15 mile hikes and try to at least do some weights a few times a week as I do exercises around and try to get my heart rate up.
                        Yes thats not a healthy thought....your cold and hungry and cranky NOT due to low carbs, but low calories. Saw elsewhere you added up one day to be only 700 calories. Thats not sustainable and your body knows it. Its gonna make losing the last bit harder. Up your protein for sure.

                        As to the 70hr work weeks and new job in front of computer.....Cortisol counteracts insulin, contributes to hyperglycemia, lowers your immune system and inhibits the peripheral utilization of glucose (insulin resistance) nuff said, this is counteracting the work your doing being low carb in the first place. Course thats better than stress + crap food, so you have helped yourself deal with the stress with your lifestyle just not to the extent to lose the weight you want. And sitting in front of a comp all that time can't necessarily be made up for all at once on the weekend. Consider alternating standing and sitting desk or a physioball to sit on. Body by Science is an excellent idea for 1-2x/week work out.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by mnicoll View Post
                          Great advice Danielle. I have been eating low enough carb to be in ketosis for 6 months. There has maybe been a day or two when technically, I'm not in ketosis. I have had my thyroid tested and it was a-ok. Which, insanely enough I had hoped would reveal something was going on because then I'd "have an answer" to this struggle!

                          I honestly think there is just some missing link here---maybe I'm in ketosis too much, maybe I need a little sweet potato, maybe I need to sprint more....will try all of them!
                          Your thyroid numbers can be in range but still not be optimal for you. For example - I had my thyroid removed so my doctor has to check my levels all the time to make sure my dosage is right. Last time I went I complained that my energy was low and my hair was falling out. My numbers were in range ("a-ok"), but they were in the bottom half of the range. We increased my dose a tiny bit (around 7mcg/day increase) and bam, I feel better and I'm not losing wads of hair. It's a very delicate system, and keeping carbs that low for that long can really throw it off.

                          I understand your frustration! I would definitely try changing things a bit. Always being hungry isn't a good thing. You shouldn't be miserable. You may need more carbs with your meals to keep you satisfied longer, or you may just need more food. I hope some of that helps!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            No advice here, but maybe this will help~

                            She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Nady View Post
                              No advice here, but maybe this will help~

                              She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us
                              May not be directly from you, but I think this is important, nonetheless. I recall some threads showing a slight disconnect, with respect to gender differences.
                              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Yes thats not a healthy thought....your cold and hungry and cranky NOT due to low carbs, but low calories. Saw elsewhere you added up one day to be only 700 calories. Thats not sustainable and your body knows it. Its gonna make losing the last bit harder. Up your protein for sure.

                                As to the 70hr work weeks and new job in front of computer.....Cortisol counteracts insulin, contributes to hyperglycemia, lowers your immune system and inhibits the peripheral utilization of glucose (insulin resistance) nuff said, this is counteracting the work your doing being low carb in the first place. Course thats better than stress + crap food, so you have helped yourself deal with the stress with your lifestyle just not to the extent to lose the weight you want. And sitting in front of a comp all that time can't necessarily be made up for all at once on the weekend. Consider alternating standing and sitting desk or a physioball to sit on. Body by Science is an excellent idea for 1-2x/week work out.
                                + 1.

                                Is there any chance you could do some activity during your lunchbreak? Or during the evenings. Being very sedentary 5 days a week is incompatible with being healthy in my experience.

                                I've yet to see any convincing evidence that chronic low-calorie doesn't always cause a downwards spiral in BMR, whether it be a CW diet, primal or whatever.
                                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X