No announcement yet.

Not Losing Weight After Strictly Following Primal for 6 Months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice -- while you're experimenting (say for the next 2 months or so), DITCH THE SCALE! Best thing I ever did. It only added to my stress level. Go by listening to your body and simply live life as optimally as you can right now given your work situation. Let how you feel guide you more than some number.

Comment

Everyone here has given you great advice.

About your thyroid - if you have 'thyroid symptoms' then you could have coeliac disease, candida, or possibly adrenal issues, or indeed something else going on. Many things mimic thyroid.... or it could just be your thyroid.
      As a rule, if you only had a TSH test, it's not very accurate. Even so, if the lab range is 0.4 > 4.1 as most of them are, your TSH should be around 1 or under to be healthy. If it is over that number, say 3.3 or something, you need to investigate further.

If your doctor doesn't agree, then ask for another blood test. Going to bed very late the night before and also skipping your last meal and breakfast will push up your TSH substantially that it may make your doc sit up and listen... but that's a last ditch method that I would recommend unless you're desperate.

To accurately gauge your thyroid situation you need a complete thyroid panel ... Free T3, uptake, T4, free T4 etc. Included in the tests should be liver func and cholesterol, plus perhaps testosterone.
      The problem with the TSH test is that it's pretty inaccurate and TSH can be suppressed by thyroid nodules or other conditions. It's pretty much a 'vague indicator' at best and whilst you can be 'within range' you can also be incredibly ill. One person's norm is not another, as you know.

If you do have a thyroid situation, (always cold tells me you have adrenal or thyroid issues) then losing weight will be nigh on impossible without optimised medication.
      Also, when you get tested, you need to have antibody tests done. If those are not done, then you don't know if your thyroid is sick, or whether your immune system is attacking your thyroid (this latter being the most common form of thyroid illness)
      If you have thyroid antibodies, then it's your immune system causing the issue.

On the other hand, you could be not getting enough fats, protein and carbs to lose weight anyway. Many, many thyroid folks report not losing weight on Atkins induction (for example) and they do better on South Beach carb levels (Or the OWL section of Atkins). Your thyroid needs some carbs to function properly. Without them, you're really not converting your T3 to T4 and you're a bit sunk.

As a trial, I'd increase your carbs slightly... massive salads with protein, lots of veggies with each meal, including breakfast.

If you do have test results, feel free to PM me and I'll have a look for you.

Comment

The thyroid symptoms are very easily explained by chronic undereating given the OP's stated caloric intake IMO.
        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
          The thyroid symptoms are very easily explained by chronic undereating given the OP's stated caloric intake IMO.

She says 'I've been tested for thyroid in the past'.... which would lead me to think this has been a concern for longer than the 6 months she's been primal and/or undereating.

Certainly eating low cal for any length of time will damage thyroid function.

Comment

Thank YOU!

Originally posted by Meatgrrrl View Post
            Everyone here has given you great advice.

About your thyroid - if you have 'thyroid symptoms' then you could have coeliac disease, candida, or possibly adrenal issues, or indeed something else going on. Many things mimic thyroid.... or it could just be your thyroid.
            As a rule, if you only had a TSH test, it's not very accurate. Even so, if the lab range is 0.4 > 4.1 as most of them are, your TSH should be around 1 or under to be healthy. If it is over that number, say 3.3 or something, you need to investigate further.

If your doctor doesn't agree, then ask for another blood test. Going to bed very late the night before and also skipping your last meal and breakfast will push up your TSH substantially that it may make your doc sit up and listen... but that's a last ditch method that I would recommend unless you're desperate.

To accurately gauge your thyroid situation you need a complete thyroid panel ... Free T3, uptake, T4, free T4 etc. Included in the tests should be liver func and cholesterol, plus perhaps testosterone.
            The problem with the TSH test is that it's pretty inaccurate and TSH can be suppressed by thyroid nodules or other conditions. It's pretty much a 'vague indicator' at best and whilst you can be 'within range' you can also be incredibly ill. One person's norm is not another, as you know.

If you do have a thyroid situation, (always cold tells me you have adrenal or thyroid issues) then losing weight will be nigh on impossible without optimised medication.
            Also, when you get tested, you need to have antibody tests done. If those are not done, then you don't know if your thyroid is sick, or whether your immune system is attacking your thyroid (this latter being the most common form of thyroid illness)
            If you have thyroid antibodies, then it's your immune system causing the issue.

On the other hand, you could be not getting enough fats, protein and carbs to lose weight anyway. Many, many thyroid folks report not losing weight on Atkins induction (for example) and they do better on South Beach carb levels (Or the OWL section of Atkins). Your thyroid needs some carbs to function properly. Without them, you're really not converting your T3 to T4 and you're a bit sunk.

As a trial, I'd increase your carbs slightly... massive salads with protein, lots of veggies with each meal, including breakfast.

If you do have test results, feel free to PM me and I'll have a look for you.
            I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has supported me. Last night, after starting this thread, I immediately started to feel better after tapping into this intelligent and helpful community of Primal folks. Because this way of eating / living is a little alienating in general, I've felt like I'm struggling on an island. Reaching out and getting such great advice and support has been probably the single most important thing I've done yet. I really appreciate the feedback and advice.

Meatgrrrl----I'm calling the Dr. today to get a copy of my lab results to stack them against what you talked about. Indeed, I've felt very dismissed by Drs in general and I've learned more from this post about Thyroid function than I ever did from them. I really appreciate it. Indeed, I've struggled with a seemingly inability to lose weight for several years now and Thyroid was an obvious culprit...but it's nice to know it's not so cut and dry and that I just need to look deeper.

Comment

*hugs* I'm glad we could help. It can be pretty tough to do this without any support.

I wanted to say one last thing. You said you are concerned that you've damaged your metabolism and might gain weight if you eat more... you're right, that's an appropriate concern. But if your metabolism has been harmed by long-term undereating, then it will need to heal, and that takes time and proper nutrition. The primary goal of the PB is OPTIMAL HEALTH. Undereating won't get you there. Think of your goal as more long term, and try to let go of losing 5 lbs this week. Or this month. Find out what the target caloric intake is for your size and goal weight (I want to say around 1600-1700 calories, but double check that), and hit that range with lots of delicious, nutrient-dense foods, and keep getting as much exercise as your schedule allows. You might gain a little back at first, you might not... but I promise you'll feel better right away, and you'll have more energy, and once your metabolism heals, you'll get there. I hope you will keep us posted on your journey.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                That's a really good post and it would be so easy to say yeah sister, but her figure blows mine away by a long-shot and the idea that she is self-conscious about her figure really doesn't make me feel better at all.
                Just reaffirms that most women have really effed up body images, and we should all stop comparing ourselves to others and spend more time doing right by our own bodies. I don't see so many men saying things like "his awesome bod makes me feel like crap".
                Sandra
                *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                  Just reaffirms that most women have really effed up body images, and we should all stop comparing ourselves to others and spend more time doing right by our own bodies. I don't see so many men saying things like "his awesome bod makes me feel like crap".
                  Because some men don't say this, in public..
                  If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                    Because some men don't say this, in public..
                    That's what I was thinking. IIRC, the number of males with eating disorders has risen in the last decade or so. They might be more private about it, but men are just as screwed up about body image as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielle5690 View Post
                      That's what I was thinking. IIRC, the number of males with eating disorders has risen in the last decade or so. They might be more private about it, but men are just as screwed up about body image as we are.
                      Yep. Just take a look at the covers of Men's Health, Men's Fitness, or Men's Journal. 5.99/month for supposed secrets to yada yada yada.
                      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

It's true! I'm a guy who always wanted to be healthy and look nice, even though I didn't know what that really meant or how to get there. I was always angry that I didn't look like people on TV. I thought you had to be rich to look like that.

Then you get my friend at work, who pretends she wants to be healthy while eating lowfat garbage and complains about her spare tire while ignoring me, even though I practically chant "eat more natural fat and meat and stop eating weird fake food" at her.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          It's true! I'm a guy who always wanted to be healthy and look nice, even though I didn't know what that really meant or how to get there. I was always angry that I didn't look like people on TV. I thought you had to be rich to look like that.

Then you get my friend at work, who pretends she wants to be healthy while eating lowfat garbage and complains about her spare tire while ignoring me, even though I practically chant "eat more natural fat and meat and stop eating weird fake food" at her.
                          hahah... I can totally see this, anywhere.

I was there, too. I would be on vacation, during high school, waking up in the morning to do weight routines on T.V., thinking that'd be the way to get where I wanted to be. I bought into the six small meal hypothesis; tried every gut apparatus on T.V.; and would be bewildered at why my body composition wasn't changing, in my youth.

Comment

Originally posted by kkratz57 View Post
                            My advice -- while you're experimenting (say for the next 2 months or so), DITCH THE SCALE! Best thing I ever did. It only added to my stress level. Go by listening to your body and simply live life as optimally as you can right now given your work situation. Let how you feel guide you more than some number.
                            THIS^!!!
                            And vitamin C helps combat cortisol levels... are you on a good multi?
                            Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
                            My journal...
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Comment

Originally posted by lamoka View Post
                              THIS^!!!
                              And vitamin C helps combat cortisol levels... are you on a good multi?
                              Really? Wow, I never knew that. I'm not on any viatmins at all---do you have any suggestions?

Comment

hey mnicoll,

you've gotten lots of fab advice here; i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. When I first started VLC, it was so shockingly satisfying to my body that I found myself not really wanting more food mid-day. Around the 600-700cal was what I found myself eating daily.

HOWEVER -- this did not last. Not longer than 2 weeks. Then I ate like a beast! I recall when I first hit 2k calories. What. The. Heck. And at first I wondered if this would be a negative but no, instead, allowing myself more food seemed to tell my body that I could use this *new* fuel properly. And oddly, I lost weight more quickly when I ate more volume w/i the Primal guidelines.

I sure did love the fats! It was a real transition to eat the protein, coming from a 20+ year of vegetarianism.

And now this volume has leveled and I find myself at 1200cal roughly. I couldn't agree more w/ this one comment made earlier: Eat when you are hungry. I deeply feel that listening to your bodies needs will give you the chance to get more attuned to what it wants and what serves it. And then you can decide how to tweak what you give it to meet your external goals.

And get away from that computer -- I have that same issue and a walk at mid-day does wonders to destress and clear the head. =)

you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop. Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Working...
                                X