Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is dehydrated coconut as got as coconut oil when it comes to mct, or they get lost in the dehydration?

Comment

Originally posted by Runner View Post
      Is dehydrated coconut as got as coconut oil when it comes to mct, or they get lost in the dehydration?
      Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut meat, dried (desiccated), not sweetened

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
        I am not sure ketones would be used if you are not in a ketotic state (aka super low carb). MCT metabolism does lead to ketone production in the liver but in a non ketotic state, I think you just pee them ... maybe you could check that ?
        As I understand it, you do not have to be in ketosis to use ketones. The body will use whatever energy source it has available to it at the time it needs it, whether that is sugar, free fatty acids, or ketones. Your concentration and amount of ketones will be optimized when in ketosis of course, which means you'll be more likely to be utilizing them because you will have more of them in the body.

This does not mean that if you produce some ketones from ingesting a few MCTs they will go completely to waste unless you are 100% in ketosis however. The body uses what energy it has on hand at the moment, in whatever form it currently is available in.

By the way, you produce ketones every night as you sleep for energy, even if you're not likely to be pissing ketones in the morning because you just had a heavy carb meal or whatever.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          What are you talking about? CICO is all that matters in terms of weight loss - you can't lose weight without an energy deficit, and as far as the least nutritious diet possible goes, it's hard to find anything less nutritious than isolated fat. Coconut oil is fundamentally on the same footing as white sugar - it is empty calories, pure energy and extremely fattening since it is the most calorie-dense "food" out there. Sure, coconut oil is less fattening than soybean oil due to the composition of its fatty acids, but it's still more fattening than any actual real food. I'm sorry to disturb your happy fantasy that you can eat anything and everything in sight as long as you keep "X macronutrient" low, but it doesn't work that way. If you want to lose weight, you have to consume less energy than you expend.

If you want the benefits of coconut, I suggest eating actual coconut instead of the isolated oil, or perhaps making Asian-style curries with coconut milk. I have two 54oz jars of virgin coconut oil on my shelf, and it will easily last me into the back half of 2014. It is a cooking tool, not real food meant to be consumed by the spoonful.

As for my diet, I lift heavy 4 times a week and average around 175g of carbs a day. Is that "high carb"?
          I think you are partially right here. Yes, I think there has to be a calorie deficit to lose weight. I know from personal experience that there is more than one way to lose weight but, the high carb route renders me a miserable slave to food who is hungry all the time and a royal pain in the ass when I get too hungry. I'd rather lose weight the PB way than than any other I have tried because it's easier in terms of hunger levels and dealing with hunger when I experience it (calmly vs. morphing into the Wicked Witch of the West). Have we tossed aside all notions regarding leptin resistance and insulin resistance here? I haven't been on the forums in awhile and I have the disorienting sensation that there's been some seismic shift for some people back to carbs and away from fat. That's not terribly alarming per se. My own n=1 shows that too much fat consumption results in weight gain and even Mark says too many calories are going to stall out weight loss. If I'm trying to lose weight and I don't go to bed a little bit hungry most nights, then the scale is not going to budge.

All that said, no, I don't think 175 grams of carbs is exactly going gonzo on carbs. But, I don't think you characterize coconut oil properly when you claim it being devoid of nutrition. That makes it sounds like there aren't other benefits such as immune boosting (iit makes cells more resistant to invasion and has anti-microbial properties), and possible benefits to the brain such as slowing down dementia. In its extra virgin form, it also contains beneficial bioflavonoids. I think of it as a cooking oil with some of the benefits of a supplement, and think you are right about not eating it off the spoon regularly. No way is coconut oil fundamentally on the same footing as sugar as far as my response to those two items goes, though.

Comment

How To Use Organic Coconut Oil For Cooking & Health Benefits - YouTube have a watch of this coconut oil has many benefits to encourage your thyroid, it has many benefits aids in weight loss so its a healthy oil but watch the video recommended is 1-2, 3 would be a little too much no its not a food supplement either who has 2 tbs for a meal?

Comment

Working...
            X