Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES it is. All these other people saying that it doesn't ruin the fast or to just drink it black are wrong. coffee, or caffeine, is a xenobiotic. All xenobiotics require processing of the liver. The point of fasting is to not activate your liver. A true fast is water only, nothing else, not even vitamins.

Comment

Originally posted by tk421 View Post
      YES it is. All these other people saying that it doesn't ruin the fast or to just drink it black are wrong. coffee, or caffeine, is a xenobiotic. All xenobiotics require processing of the liver. The point of fasting is to not activate your liver. A true fast is water only, nothing else, not even vitamins.
      Hello, do you actually understand physiology or are you just stuck with a strict definition that can't tolerate some distinctions? Which I tried to elucidate and clarify. The benefit of fasting is autophagy. Black coffee and/or fats do not stop the autophagy. Got it?

Comment

If you need coffee and can't put it aside for a few days without suffering unpleasant symptoms, maybe there is a problem, regardless of what does or does not constitute fasting.
        I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post

Hello, do you actually understand physiology or are you just stuck with a strict definition that can't tolerate some distinctions? Which I tried to elucidate and clarify. The benefit of fasting is autophagy. Black coffee and/or fats do not stop the autophagy. Got it?
          Stuck with a strict definition? When it comes to biological mechanisms, yes, there are strict definitions of things. There are many benefits to fasting besides autophagy. Yes, both exercise and fasting boost autophagy, but in true fasting you want your liver to be dormant. If you think that you are fasting while drinking coffee and eating fats, then you are sorely mistaken. Do you even know what a xenobiotic is? I am not saying that autophagy will be stopped by eating fats and drinking coffee (I know this because there’s something called ketosis, maybe you heard of it???), but the OP is asking about fasting… NOT autophagy. They are different. You need to define your terminology and do a lot more research before handing out advice like you know what you’re talking about. "“Got it?”"
          Last edited by tk421; 04-21-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tk421 View Post

Stuck with a strict definition? When it comes to biological mechanisms, yes, there are strict definitions of things. There are many benefits to fasting besides autophagy. Yes, both exercise and fasting boost autophagy, but in true fasting you want your liver to be dormant. If you think that you are fasting while drinking coffee and eating fats, then you are sorely mistaken. Do you even know what a xenobiotic is? I am not saying that autophagy will be stopped by eating fats and drinking coffee (I know this because there’s something called ketosis, maybe you heard of it???), but the OP is asking about fasting… NOT autophagy. They are different. You need to define your terminology and do a lot more research before handing out advice like you know what you’re talking about. "“Got it?”"
            "Dormant liver?" Holy cow............like rust, the liver never sleeps. It's always doing something, most likely, several things at once. Including during fasting. Plenty to do.

Other than for weight loss, I can't imagine any other reason for fasting other than autophagy. Fasting is the method of enhancing autophagy. So, yes, different in definition, one is the process, the other is the goal.

Comment

Hi!

Just wanna ask if coffee really one of the contributors of anxiety? How about its antioxidant component of this? Your comment is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Graybit View Post
                Hi!

Just wanna ask if coffee really one of the contributors of anxiety? How about its antioxidant component of this? Your comment is highly appreciated. Thank you.
                Hi! If you are sensitive to caffeine it might contribute to anxiety (also depending on how much you drink I guess). There are many antioxidants in coffee yes.But you can also get antioxidants by eating vegetables and fruits instead if you are sensitive to caffeine.
                Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

For me, I just don't put a creamer on it. Fasting is fasting and I'm strict on it but cant refuse the black coffee specially during rainy times.

Comment

Fasting for weight loss and autophagy are both enhanced by coffee. Here is one more benefit. Coffee adds to insulin sensitivity. So it doesn't just "not hurt" the liver, it actively helps the liver and pancreas. It also is a pretty effective appetite suppressant and a good warmer upper of the body both internally and externally (holding a warm cup). I cant see a down side other than the fact that its 1/2 life is about 5 1/2 hours in the average person, so you drink one @ 3pm, @ 9pm you're still floating around 1/2 of that. I drank one a few days ago @ 6pm and I ate a whole slew of potatoes @8-8:30. Boom insulin came up and I knocked out ~8:45. Except, by 11:30 insulin was gone and the coffee was still flying around in my blood stream like a shark.
                    Other than those caveats yea meant to be enjoyed while fasting.

Thanks.
                    Srinath.

Comment

Originally posted by docpearce View Post
                      Thanks all. I'm not doing for any cleansing. My reasons for doing it are: 1. I want to lose that last 3-4 percent body fat and 2. It saves a lot of time to not have to cook until 2 pm.

I just wanted to make sure that having 100 calories or so wasn't going to set up some metabolic process and drastically affect the fat loss
                      Originally posted by docpearce View Post
                      Thanks all. I'm not doing for any cleansing. My reasons for doing it are: 1. I want to lose that last 3-4 percent body fat and 2. It saves a lot of time to not have to cook until 2 pm.

I just wanted to make sure that having 100 calories or so wasn't going to set up some metabolic process and drastically affect the fat loss
                      You're definitely not fasting after coffee with cream.

Comment

Yea - 3-4% BF can be lost with fat intake. I've lost 10lb+ in about 3 weeks or so with a nice 2-300 calorie intake all as fat. I'd drink olive oil, MCT oil, butter etc etc etc, even pure fat mayo and HWC. The thing you need to avoid is insulin. Fat creates almost no insulin, anyway you cant be 0 insulin, you could be 1.0 on a empty stomach and 1.01 after butter.
                        You also wont stop HGH and autophagy in any significant amount, but you're not "fasting". You're insulin fasting maybe.
                        You don't need to "fast" having fat can keep your metabolic rate higher than the rate + the fat you eat especially if the lack of that energy is preventing you from doing something. Like for example, you're too tired to take that walk around the block. Now you drink coffee with 1tbsp of MCT oil. You're now 125-150 calories up, but since you didn't make any insulin much of that could be excreted. To top that off, you burn 50 calories in your walk. That means 150 calories you have drunk has made you burn 200-250. Something like that. I find fat in coffee makes me feel warm on a cold day. I'd get out and do a lot of stuff cos once you start moving and blood flowing, it pretty much takes over. You need to keep moving and you stay warm.

Thanks.
                        Srinath.

Comment

Working...
                        X