Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you stretch $75 on food over a month?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you stretch $75 on food over a month?

Just found out that my scholarship money isn't coming in until the first week of July! Oh no! While I'm looking for a part-time job for after classes, I need to get thrifty and budget myself. Any suggestions? I have a source of free pastured eggs (woohoo!) and a willingness to break down and eat leftovers (ick). I want to stay as primal as possible during this time.. any ideas on how you would spend your $75?

For one, you should stop cooking food that doesn't make good leftovers. I never cook anything that isn't as good the second time as fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      For one, you should stop cooking food that doesn't make good leftovers. I never cook anything that isn't as good the second time as fresh.
      It can be difficult to cook for one without wasting food, but I try. Leftovers in general are off putting to me, especially if the food needs to be heated. But, like I said, totally willing to suck it up for a few weeks!

Comment

eggs (yay for a source)
        canned fish
        potatoes/rice
        cheap cuts of meat in the crock pot
        whatever meat is on sale (for variety)
        vegetables - look for what is on sale.

Comment

Big pots of soup super cheap and huge quantity

Comment

If the free eggs are unlimited, you could just eat those and buy things to go along side or inside scrambled eggs - spinach, onions, parmesan cheese (which seems expensive but is really kind of thrifty when your think how little you use in/on a dish), tomatoes. Protein powder. Check out the local food bank if there's one near you. It won't be all primal for sure, but you might get some plain yogurt, canned tuna, seasonal veggies, etc., and you could gift the bread, etc., to a friend. Emergency food stamps.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Bag of potatoes, and onions. Ask if you can get low cost or maybe free bones for stock. Maybe tell them its for your dog. Soups go along way and don't seem like leftovers either.

Comment

When I'm broke, my go-to meal is some type of soup/stew because you can make a large quantity for cheap, though you would have to be willing to eat it as leftovers!

In general though, look at frozen veggies. They are a lot cheaper than fresh and they do retain quite a lot of the nutrients when they're frozen. They certainly aren't as pleasant to eat as the fresh ones are but beggars can't always be choosers!

Comment

Try finding a friend or someone who grows tubers at their home garden If you don't care too much about organic and all that, go to a really cheap meat place in the neighborhood and only buy meats that are in sale freeze them and eat when needed. Of course frozen might be cheaper, but that isn't always true. Your carb intake will certainly have to go up, while your protein intake might suffer a bit. Fill up on a lot of filling foods, skip foods that don't keep you satiated longer ( whatever that is for you). Also, this might be the best tip yet, don't be afraid to eat other people's food that is primal friendly if they happen to offer it ;p
                  You don't have to be sick to get well

Comment

And maybe eat one meal a day only. That's a budget savior

Comment

Potatoes, rice, soaked beans and lentils, frozen veggies like kale, liver, nixtamalized corn tortillas, canned tuna, bananas and whichever other fruits on sale.
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

Eggs, potatoes, and bananas. Probably the best cheap food on the planet. It depends on your location.. but Trader Joes near me has bananas for 15 cents. That is around 550-650 calories per DOLLAR. Throw in some potatoes, also cheap, and those free eggs and you could make 75$ last a month.

Posting that makes me kind of sad on how much money I actually spend on food each month

Comment

Potatoes and bananas are very cheap. Also, garden, it's a good time to grow herbs and tomatoes.
                          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                          Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                          Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                          F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I could get 10-15lbs of grass fed meat (1-2lbs of which is liver and maybe a beef heart of 3-4lbs) for 50$ then 10 cartons of eggs for 20$ and 2 kerrygold salted butters.

I bet that would work if I had to do it.

There are obviously other ways (the garden idea being best, and which I have a variety of onion, salad greens, carrots, parsley, basil, ect. ready right now). Actually wild foraging would be a great idea! Just ask knifegill. You can even do it in the city. Dandelions, nuts, and berries and such.
                            Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              I could get 10lbs of grass fed meat for 50$ then 10 cartons of eggs for 20$ and 2 kerrygold salted butters.

I bet that would work if I had to do it.
                              That would certainly not work. 1lb of meat has about 850 calories and a carton of eggs has about 850 calories. Based on 10lb and 10 cartons that would be about 16000-18000 calories for 30 days.. about 600 calories per day

Comment

Working...
                              X