No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Coffee - to stay or go??

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Paleo / Primal, although I've embraced low carb for a long time, so I'm trying to tweak things.

I usually have 2 large coffee's in the morning with creamo, coconut oil and splenda. I have them sitting down at my desk and it can mean I don't eat till late morning or lunchtime.

I just read somewhere that this may not be 'fat burning' or helpful to it, so I'm wondering if my morning routine should alter to optimise getting rid of the podge....!

I've had to put exercise on hold whilst I recover from a SI Joint issue where I've trapped a nerve - so apart from walking gently, I've not been able to embrace the fitness plan which is something I'm keen to.

Thanks for thoughts on coffee, and what y'all think!!

PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

I drink about a 1/2 pot of coffee a morning with coconut oil and have had no problems. Should try getting rid of the splenda...

Comment

Well, I'm not a coffee drinker so I cant talk from that perspective, but not long ago, I was a 'chain' tea drinker. Yorkshire Tea. Strong stuff, and in my opinion the best that can be bought in the UK (Lancashire tea a close second).

Anyhow, I was putting down approximately 15 pints of tea a day! I had a pint mug at work, and a slightly bigger pint and a bit mug at home - hence the seriously large volumes. I have low carbed for about 5-6 years now, but had varying degrees of success over that time.

Tea does contain an amount of caffeine and I came to notice that whenever I particularly went on a tea binge, that weight loss would stall or reverse. It could have been the added milk having a contributing affect, but it could also be due to the compounded caffeine content. I have also read on other websites (BFFM, Musclhack amongst others) that too much caffeine causes a stall. This advice however, flies in the face of the advice offered here...

So, how about a wee experiment? I would do something akin to:

- Only one cup of black coffee in the morning
      - Tea (green, white, other non-fruit tea) for the rest of the day if you need a warm beverage
      - Avoid the milk/dairy in any drinks
      - Avoid sugar/sweetners

You should keep on with the primal eating, and chart your weight loss/body fat %/Myo tape from the day before you make this change to see if there is any notable changes. I would try it for 2 weeks just to see if there is long enough to see and affect then make your decision to maintain or reduce the caffeine again from there. A little bit of data may just give you the information you are looking for.
      Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

Comment

Once you go black, you never go back!

I grew up on Tim's large double-doubles (the old large).
        Then I got turned on to Starbucks and grande white chocolate mochas were my thing.
        At work I drank coffee all day with copious cream and sugar.
        Once I went primal I decided I couldn't do sweet drinks anymore and transitioned to black coffee. I think most only drink coffee out of habit/addiction so once you get used to having it black you'll "enjoy" it all the same.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I've not been measuring apart from clothes, but I've been pretty good with food, and things aren't shifting. I know as we age things change, and perhaps I'm now slightly intolerant. Good idea to drop the splenda which has been on my mind for a while. I don't tend to have as much coffee when I'm at home - the coffee machine at work is free so I chug 2 large mugs when I'm here. I used to have 3 or 4!!!

I don't drink hot drinks much otherwise.

thanks again,
          PG!
          Primal - June 3rd 2013
          Starting Weight - 150lbs
          Current Weight - 150lbs
          Goal Weight - 130lbs
          (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Originally posted by Stacy15 View Post
            I drink about a 1/2 pot of coffee a morning with coconut oil and have had no problems. Should try getting rid of the splenda...
            Ditto.

I drink my 3 big mugs throughout the morning, with 18% cream or whipping cream. And I don't eat an actual meal till after 11am most days. As a former never-skip-breakfast cereal junkie, this is a huge change for me. It feels good so I'm going to keep doing it
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I think that within reason, thinking about coffee or caffeine intake is fighting a war by putting peace stickers on the other guys tanks....in other words, yes, it may have SOME effect; but that is blown over by the other 99.9% of the activities or foods you chose. If anyone says I need to change coffee to be healthy, they are probably a charlatan, IMO.

Besides, I start taking hostages if I don't have my coffee. Call me weak or addicted.... Then try to keep up with me the rest of the day
              "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                I think that within reason, thinking about coffee or caffeine intake is fighting a war by putting peace stickers on the other guys tanks....in other words, yes, it may have SOME effect; but that is blown over by the other 99.9% of the activities or foods you chose. If anyone says I need to change coffee to be healthy, they are probably a charlatan,
                I'm going with this! I have 2 8 oz cups with 1 T heavy cream each every morning. It took me a few months to go from 2% milk to heavy cream. I'm going to look everywhere else before I back away from the coffee.
                50yo, 5'3"
                SW-195
                CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

If you a trying to lose and you aren't losing, yes, get rid of coffee. Not because some theory of everything says it will work but because it is a variable you can control and see if it works for you.
                  “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                  Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Yep, I agree, its a matter of seeing what the variables are and applying a control to elicit a response i.e. weight/fat loss - hence my proposal for an experiment.
                    Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

Comment

For me requirement #1 of any substance is that I'm in full control. If you experience intrusive thoughts of caffeine you might need some distance from it. If you can miss a day with no distress then you're probably fine.
                      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Morning Guys,

So I totally forgot I'd even written this, and walked into Starbucks and got myself a Venti Dark roast, to which I added creamer and 2 splenda. I then put my CO in it on arrival at my desk and I'm currently enjoying it whilst writing this reply - how ironic!!!

Thank you all for your input, there are other things I can try without disrupting my coffee, however it's a good point that it is a variable that I can eliminate and discover if it's affecting me in anyway.

Thanks again - I'm overwhelmed by everyone's friendliness and support on here.

PG!
                        Primal - June 3rd 2013
                        Starting Weight - 150lbs
                        Current Weight - 150lbs
                        Goal Weight - 130lbs
                        (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Update. I have discovered and read Caffeine Blues by Stephen Cherniske and have now dropped coffee from my diet.

Comment

Working...
                          X