Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nausea from eating a lot of meat

Has anyone suffered nausea from eating a lot of meat? It has been happening to me lately. If I eat a lot of meat, say for more than one meal a day, an hour or so after my meal I get nauseated and feel like gagging. It feels much alike a hangover, minus the dehydration. I've tried drinking more water but it makes things worse.

I'm not eating too low carb at this point, neither is my diet extremely hypo-caloric. The nausea does get better if I increase carb consumption significantly. That, however, presents other problems such as bloating and stalled fat loss.

This is what I ate yesterday:

8am: roughly 150 grams strawberries + 2 small bananas

10am: 4 strips bacon + 2 eggs

12-2pm - Leisurely bike ride around the lake + bodyweight exercises towards the end

4pm - 2 bowls of beef chili, feeling full but fine after

8pm - teeny bit hungry and can't decide whether to eat or to go to bed as is. I decide to have a small bowl of chili and a banana because I'm concious not to underfeed, given my physical activity during the day.

9pm - Terrible nausea

It can't be that I'm not getting enough carbs because I had two hi carb days a few days ago where I ate a lot of rice, potatoes and such.
    Can't be that I'm not getting enough calories because I ate till/past satiety yesterday.
    Might be that I have an electrolyte deficiency but unlikely because I've been eating fruit and veggies (I ate two almost entirely salad based meals with avocados the day before the nausea incident)

My guess is low stomach acid. I was vegetarian up until the age of 16 after which I started eating meat but not a lot of it. I'd maybe eat meat once every few days. It's only in the last six months that I've gone primal and eat meat a minimum of twice a day. I didn't have this problem in the first 3-4 months.

What do you folks think?
    Ones who try my curry are not ones to leave in a hurry

P.S. I don't know it is related, but I also get incredibly nauseous and experience stomach cramps if I eat butter or coconut oil on their own.

Comment

To me "chili" means legumes, but this was a legume-less primal chili, yes?

And nausea after fats always means consider a gallstone.
      “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
      Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
        To me "chili" means legumes, but this was a legume-less primal chili, yes?

And nausea after fats always means consider a gallstone.
        Yes, primal chili.

I haven't considered gallstone. I will look up other gallstone related symptoms

Comment

GALLBLADDER SYMPTOMS from Gallbladder Symptoms

Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side
          Pain between shoulder blades
          Stools light or chalky colored
          Fatty stools
          Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods
          Nausea
          Dizziness
          Bloating
          Gas
          Burping or belching
          Feeling of fullness or food not digesting
          Diarrhea (or alternating from soft to watery)
          Constipation
          Headache over eyes, especially right
          Bitter fluid comes up after eating
          Frequent use of laxatives

I have a few of those symptoms. I consulted a GP few weeks ago when I was having severe abdominal cramps following meals (regardless of whether fatty or not). He made me lie down and prodded around my torso looking for pain but didn't find any, so I'm guessing it's not gallstones. I had bloodwork done following that visit and results came out normal except for slightly depressed TSH reading (0.48, as compared to the normal range of 0.5-3). GP has asked me to come in after three months for more blood work.

Comment

How long has the nausea been going on? If its just a one day/ two day thing I would be inclined to wait it out as food poisoning or virus or something.

What made you think it was meat specifically? I don't know how your chili is, but it doesnt usually feel to me like i had a ton of meat even though it has meat in it so i wouldn't immediately go to the meat. To be fair this might be because I still have it with beans

have you considered the strawberries? The little seeds made my coworker sick and the doctor told her to steer clear. Can't remember if it was diverticulitis maybe? Nuts and tiny seeds can cause symptoms. I would look at all possibilities not just meat.
            Last edited by lea; 07-27-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lea View Post
              How long has the nausea been going on? If its just a one day/ two day thing is be inclined to wait it out as food poisoning or virus or something.

What made you think it was meat specifically. I don't know how your chili is, but even though it had meat in it I wouldn't immediately go to the meat.

What about the strawberries? The little seeds made my coworker suck. Can't remember if it was diverticulitis maybe? Nuts and tiny seeds can cause symptoms. I would look at all possibilities not just meat.
              i've had it on and off for a few months now depending on how much animal I've been eating, hence my conclusion that it is the meat. I don't see a direct link between the strawberries and the nausea, because I don't eat them often.

Like I said, it seems to get better if I eat more starch but I'm not incredibly active save from walking alot and bodyweight exercises twice a week, so that presents me with its own set of problems. This leads me to believe that it might be protein or fat related. It's possible that I'm still not used to eating so much of the two macros, coming from a carby vegetarian background.

Comment

Well, if something makes you feel better, do that and try to ease in slowly. I'm not really aware of anything about meat in and if itself that would make you sick in normal quantities but it won't hurt you to have a potato instead for a while until you figure out what's wrong. I would personally look at what else you are doing and try to rule out one thing at a time but maybe others will have ideas.

Comment

I've gotten nausea from eating way too much fatty meat. The solution was to not eat so much, in my case. It hasn't repeated.

Comment

Working...
                  X