Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all bacon lovers!

So I was reading marks post about Sodium Nitrite in meats (Sodium Nitrite in Meat | Mark's Daily Apple) and it was all fine and good until the end when he writes "Antioxidants, particularly vitamins C and E, inhibit the conversion of sodium nitrate into those nasty nitrosamines". But earlier in the post he wrote "When meat containing nitrites is heated (particularly at high temperatures), the result is nitrosamines"

He specifically says not to confuse Nitrates with Nitrites, but has he done that by accident in the last paragraph? Because if Nitrates convert to Nitrosamines at high temperatures that would mean heating all vegetables causes Nitrosamines, not just meat. Also, where I live, almost all cured meats are cured with Sodium Nitrate, not Nitrite, so this would mean they are fine to eat if only nitrites convert to nitrosamines. I would appreciate if anybody could clear this up, thanks.

Eat the bacon.

Comment

If you are worried about bacon, don't eat it. Grok ate belly, not processed bacon.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'm not worried, I am just curious as to if this is a mistake in the post.

Comment

Any other opinions?

Comment

Get uncured bacon. All I have seen has no sodium nitrate. If some bacon here and there is all the nitrate you are consuming anyway it probably does not matter.

Comment

Working...
            X