Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong tasting meat

I bought some grass fed beef at the health food store and tried it out with dinner. Made a 'regular' burger and a grass fed burger and compared the taste. The grass fed burger had a VERY strong flavor. Hubby loved it. Reminded him of the meat from when he was younger. I thought it was a very strong taste and didn't like it much.

Question - Has anyone else had a problem with the strong taste of the grass fed meat? I grew up eating our own cows, pigs and chickens that we had in pastures and they were grass fed, but I don't remember the meat being so strong.

Hoping I get used to it soon.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

It does take some getting used to. Experiment with different seasonings.

Comment

Also, if you can, try different farms grass fed beef. The flavor will depend a large part on where they are grazing, what type of grass and the quality/quantity of it.

Some grass fed farms will have a milder taste.

Comment

I usually stick to grass fed / grass finished hamburger I get from a seller I like at the farmers market - it tastes mild and good. I also buy his roasts which are good in the crockpot. I have yet to find grass fed steak that I can grill that tastes good - not sure why. I tried some Trader Joe's grass fed ribeye from New Zealand, thinking it might taste good - I marinated it, but it still did not taste good to me - I was disappointed. I have a TJ grass fed New York strip in the freezer, but not expecting it to taste good either. So strong. For steak I still buy grain fed filets - I haven't tried grass fed filets ($$$). I eat a lot of pastured pork - always delicious.

Comment

Grass-fed cream has a different smell and taste as well.

Comment

I was thinking that for a while, just until I get more used to the flavor, I could mix the regular ground beef with the grass fed beef to lighten the flavor....I know, it isn't as healthy, but the beef is so strong in flavor.

There is another brand at the health food store I will try. So far, the health food store is the only one I can find that sells the grass fed meat. I did find a farm in state that I can buy hamburger over the internet and they will ship it, but you have to buy 20 pounds and I am afraid if I buy it, it will be too strong and I won't like it and then have all that meat in the freezer. It's weird. About 7 years ago we bought a 1/2 cow that was grass fed and that meat tasted great. Not strong at all. Hoping it is just the brand....

Still haven't found any local pasture pork. Surprises me living in Colorado in such a big town.
            44 F 5'5
            SW 205.4
            CW 180.4
            GW 150

Comment

Don't cook grass-fed very long. It's best medium rare or less. Mmmmmm....

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                Don't cook grass-fed very long. It's best medium rare or less. Mmmmmm....
                Bought grass-fed steak a couple of days ago, and the kiddos and I ate it up - merely seared, it was. Our only seasoning came out of our salt grinder. Swoooooon.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Hey Kris T,

I buy my beef from www.honoredprairie.com It's the best beef I have ever eaten. They are part of a co-op that also provides lamb, chickens, fish dairy, etc. my wife and kids all love the taste. Can't really say I've tasted any beef that came off strong tasting. Like you said it might depend on where the animal is raised.
                  Hope this helps.

P.s. you can check out www.eatwild.com for locations in your area.

Comment

It does smell different. And then a lot of people have scent issues when they are low carb, myself included. As other people have said, spices. I use a dry rub- either one my boyfriend makes or one from the store. But even then, sometimes my nose just rejects it.
                    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

If you find grass-fed beef to be disagreeably strong-tasting, you probably aren't going to like beef kidneys.

Comment

I love it, even before going primal I ate it and I find grain fed meat to be incredibly bland. Grassed and well hung (21+ days for beef) is the perfect combination, as pp's have said, a little salt (Maldon preferably) and lightly cooked
                        If it's too strong for you, have you tried making it into a meatloaf, or adding a sauce to distract from the very meaty flavour? A creamy sauce might work well

Comment

Went to a local store and found grass fed beef and also bison all with no antibiotics, hormones, preservatives or byproducts and grass fed. Cooked samples of both for lunch today and they were both really good. Guess the first one I tried was a brand that had a really strong flavor. Hubby loved it, so he get to eat the rest of that one.

Tomorrow I plan to go around town and check out other stores.

I did check out eatwild and there aren't any local places to get smaller sizes of meat. You have to buy a whole or half cow. Will search for another town, or even Denver. For now I will have to stick to other stores, or find something online.

thanks for the suggestions.
                          44 F 5'5
                          SW 205.4
                          CW 180.4
                          GW 150

Comment

Working...
                          X