Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you have sardines, salmon, olives, olive oil, butter, coconut milk? try that.

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
      This is completely false and primal is not low carb.
      While it is true that being a blue print, rather than a set-in-stone formula, and so there is some wiggle room, in comparison to CW, Primal is lower carb.

In the sample menu here: Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple , the ratios of the macros in calories are:

55% fat
      23% protein
      17% carb
      5% alcohol

CW, on the other hand advises getting about 60% of one's calories from "nutritious" whole grains and legumes (those would be carbs).

As a note, while I think the carb curve might garner a bit more respect if it was drawn as a percentage of total calories rather than fixed number of grams (it's been four years for heaven's sake - fix it LOL), it's a good jumping off point.

While there are a gazillion tweaks of the Primal BP as each person fits it into their needs and particular lifestyle, as written, it is a lower carb eating plan.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
        In my primal ventures, I stopped cooking with coconut oil, stopped eating nuts/seeds, and stopped eating eggs. This is due to FODMAP issues, digestion, etc (except coconut oil). Therefore all my fat intake comes from animal meat. Now with that, I am eating 2lbs per day of fatty cuts like chuck steaks, pork shoulder, country ribs, and whole chickens. My fat intake is 150-200g max, but my protein intake can be from 180-280g! Im only 144lb. Since primal is low carb in nature, i can only yield about 400 or less calories from carbs (avg 80g). So my caloric void is filled by fatty meat. Is this an issue? Not sure what I should do to lower protein and increase fat. I hit upper 2k range in calories, and maintain at 144lb with very low body fat. Plus, grok didnt cook with coconut oil, so im assuming his fat was predominantly from animals.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
        Do you feel good eating like this???

If so, continue. There is nothing wrong with eating like this as long as you get some animal organs or seafood as well for vitamins. I have eaten like the way you have for months on end.

If you don't feel good, change. For instance, right now I am upping carbs and lower fat on some days to meet a strength goal in the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Just eat whole animal meats. Coming from the SAD and saying "Oh, I'm gonna go primal with lean meats" was dubbed FAILEO years ago for a reason. Traditional peoples, and our paleolithic ancestors prized the fats and the fatty cuts. So the necessary switch is to leave that skin ON the chicken, eat the thigh rather than the breast, fatty fish is great, eat bone in hunks of primal cuts of beef and lamb, ribs rock, and ....do you see what I'm getting at? With the fattier cuts you get the optimal ratios of approximately 65% fat and 35% protein naturally. It has nothing to do with adding extra oils and such. Its not necessary! You just make better choices in the cuts you do eat and you will get there.

Comment

. I'm going to keep my carbs low, so that's not an option I'm going to pursue.
            Said goodbye to your hair, I hope?
            Do it before it's too late
            Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Just eat whole animal meats. Coming from the SAD and saying "Oh, I'm gonna go primal with lean meats" was dubbed FAILEO years ago for a reason. Traditional peoples, and our paleolithic ancestors prized the fats and the fatty cuts. So the necessary switch is to leave that skin ON the chicken, eat the thigh rather than the breast, fatty fish is great, eat bone in hunks of primal cuts of beef and lamb, ribs rock, and ....do you see what I'm getting at? With the fattier cuts you get the optimal ratios of approximately 65% fat and 35% protein naturally. It has nothing to do with adding extra oils and such. Its not necessary! You just make better choices in the cuts you do eat and you will get there.
              Neckhammer brings some excellent points about how to DO meat right. I don't require as much fat or protein as others so I don't eat much meat nowadays. But when I do it's slow cooked grassfed beef ribs. If I'm gonna eat meat it's gonna be full of gelatin and its own fat. That's the best for digestion as well.

Comment

This is due to FODMAP issues
                Grok had no idea if he had "FODMAP" issues and ate whatever he could eat.
                But I think your solution is to eat more animal fat, fattier meat if your goal is to reduce protein and eat more fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

If Grok had a choice between sweet fruits and bitter greens I wonder what he would choose?
                  Last edited by moluv; 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I don't think I'll be losing my hair, since I eat about 80g of carbohydrates a day. I probably could up my carb level to 100-120g. For the fatty cuts of meat, I get the fattiest I can already, but I don't see any ratios of 65% fat to 35% protein. It's more like the opposite of that.

Comment

I don't think I'll be losing my hair, since I eat about 80g of carbohydrates a day. I probably could up my carb level to 100-120g. For the fatty cuts of meat, I get the fattiest I can already, but I don't see any ratios of 65% fat to 35% protein. It's more like the opposite of that.
                      Nothing wrong with higher protein intake with adequate fat unless you are aiming for ketosis, which I don't imagine you doing since you still have a decent amount of carbs.

Like I said if you feel good, it's fine. If you don't, change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

As turquoise says, if you feel well then keep it up..... but just as a for instance.... when I'm saying 65/35% thats just a general zone, and its in relation to caloric percentages rather than grams or leanness. So 80/20 beef, which is 80% lean by packaging, is still about 60% fat by caloric load. So that's what I meant. And cooking whole or primal cuts does release additional nutrition that also allows us to absorb and utilize muscle meat better.... as moluv was pointing out.

Comment

Don't bother rendering your own fat, unless you plan to cook a Christmas duck or goose, then it's worthwhile. It's just too much trouble when you can just place an order with US Wellness Meats for rendered lard. Sometimes you can find rendered fat at a farmers market, grass-fed and everything and sometimes you can find the leaf lard or kidney fat if you really, really want to render it yourself.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I get my tallow, duck fat and leaf lard from a great little company here in Portland, Oregon called FatWorks. All the fat is from pastured animals. They ship all over. If you buy all 3, they have a great deal going.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                              If Grok had a choice between sweet fruits and bitter greens I wonder what he would choose?
                              He would probably just eat both. Hurhurhur.
                              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                              X