No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calories

Hello!

I am very new to the paleo diet, and i have not completed The primal blueprint either.
    But i cant seem to find a good answear to this question: Do you have to be in a calorie surplus to gain new muscle mass if you dont have a high BF count ?

I'm pretty sure I've been gaining muscle as I lose weight, and I know I'm in caloric deficit a lot of the time, so I would say no. Of course, I started at 340 lbs. It might be different for you.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Hit92 View Post
      Hello!

I am very new to the paleo diet, and i have not completed The primal blueprint either.
      But i cant seem to find a good answear to this question: Do you have to be in a calorie surplus to gain new muscle mass if you dont have a high BF count ?
      A very good resource for this info is Brad Pilon bradpilon.com. Short answer is in the short term (think a day),a calorie surplus isn't required. But, for muscle gain, your body needs something to make bone and muscle, over time you will have to have a surplus either from body fat or food.

Comment

Obviously what you eat is a major factor here, not just how much. Quality protein, fat, and animal products are necessary to provide the building blocks for new muscle.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Hello!

I've been loosing body weight, body fat, and gaining muscle since I started the PB about three months ago. I'm only eating about 1600 calories a day.

I've been reading for years that you have to bulk, with loads of calories. Carbohydrates are a must for energy etc...

I do all my training fasted, and haven't touched any carbs since starting PB apart from salad and the occasional fruit.

I'll think you should be weary of things that you read that are a 'must' or 'proven' because once upon a time it was scientific fact the earth was flat and the sun went around the earth... :-)

Find what works well for you, and take everything else with a pinch of salt.

Good luck.
          :-)

EDIT:
          Oh by the way I was a skinnyfat 76kg (18ish % BF (my guesstimate)) when I started, now I am 69.4kg (14.34% BF) and just today set a squat PR of 80kg x 6. That's good enough for me!

My PB & Workout Log
          Last edited by monkspeed; 09-28-2013, 04:29 AM.
          My PB Journal

Comment

If you are at a "normal/healthy" weight:

-a calorie deficit will make you smaller
            -a calorie surplus will make you bigger
            -a calorie surplus + stressing your muscles will help that increase be muscle rather than fat
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the answers!

Comment

i think so,Thanks guys! Appreciate all the answers! thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                  I'm pretty sure I've been gaining muscle as I lose weight, and I know I'm in caloric deficit a lot of the time, so I would say no. Of course, I started at 340 lbs. It might be different for you.

As I lose weight I'm gaining muscle too!!!! I want to say it's the clean organic food I am eating???

Comment

It is VERY hard to gain muscle while losing fat, so I wouldn't really believe it without scientific evidence. There are a few people on the interwebz who claim everyone can do it because they did, and I think they are generalizing being very unusual creatures and/or lieing and/or really unaware of the cycling they have been experiencing. This is something where the extremely fit and the extremely fat are very similar in their physiologic needs.
                    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                      It is VERY hard to gain muscle while losing fat, so I wouldn't really believe it without scientific evidence. There are a few people on the interwebz who claim everyone can do it because they did, and I think they are generalizing being very unusual creatures and/or lieing and/or really unaware of the cycling they have been experiencing. This is something where the extremely fit and the extremely fat are very similar in their physiologic needs.
                      This is confusing to me. The body would be doing two things. Using fat stores for energy is one. Responding to muscle stress/exercise is the other. Isn't one of the worst things you can do is lose weight and not exercise at all, so that some of the weight you lose is muscle? If one can exercise to retain muscle while in a caloric deficit, I don't understand why one can't build muscle by exercising in a caloric deficit. The fat on the body is standing in for the pork chop (for eg.) This would be for a person with excess body fat, of course. Because they have the excess fuel built in.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Hello!

This probably has more information than you need, but here you go: To Be A Beast | thefitcoach

The pertinent information is this:

Sex Goal Calories (kCal/lb) Protein (g/lb) Carbohydrates (g/lb) Fat (g/lb)
                        Male Muscle Gain 20-25 1.5-2.0 3.0-4.0 0.5-0.7
                        Female Muscle Gain 14-16 1.4-1.7 1.25-1.5 0.4-0.5
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                          It may rather be that as you are losing the fat you are gaining muscle definition so it is becoming easier to notice your muscle and less that you are actually gaining muscle.

Just a thought.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            This probably has more information than you need, but here you go: To Be A Beast | thefitcoach

The pertinent information is this:

Sex Goal Calories (kCal/lb) Protein (g/lb) Carbohydrates (g/lb) Fat (g/lb)
                            Male Muscle Gain 20-25 1.5-2.0 3.0-4.0 0.5-0.7
                            Female Muscle Gain 14-16 1.4-1.7 1.25-1.5 0.4-0.5
                            The guy from the link advocates that for a 70kg (155lb) man, he consumes 616grams of carbohydrates when trying to build muscle...

2464 calories just from carbohydrates, I mean c'mon!!! Really???

This is just hilarious to me... People people, can I just say something that has been troubling me for a while, ever since I began lurking on here a few months ago...

This is the website of the Primal Blueprint author, Mark Sisson. He is an advocate of a low carbohydrate diet. He has written a successful book that advocates against chronic cardio, advocates a low carbohydrate diet.. And yet I see so many people suggesting others to eat high carbohydrate diets, and one woman from another thread was moaning about people (men specifically) that just walk on a treadmill even though this is exactly what Mark advocates in his book...

I am just dumbfounded why these people are here on this forum, really I am...

If you don't believe in the Primal Blueprint, and its rules why are you here??? Would you and your views not fit in better on bodybuilding.com or whatever?

Like I said earlier OP, the world is flat, the earth is the centre of the universe, and light travels through the ether...

My PB & Workout Log
                            My PB Journal

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                              It is VERY hard to gain muscle while losing fat, so I wouldn't really believe it without scientific evidence.
                              And yet you believe the complete opposite without any scientific justification... Why?? Do you not realise those are just 'interwebz' stories also?

Like I said earlier OP, earth is flat etc.....

My PB & Workout Log
                              My PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X