Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
    It may rather be that as you are losing the fat you are gaining muscle definition so it is becoming easier to notice your muscle and less that you are actually gaining muscle.

Just a thought.
    That certainly could be, but I am becoming stronger. I'm with a personal trainer at the moment so I know that for a fact. I do eat quite a bit of protein every day though, so even being in caloric deficit and losing weight I'm sure there's plenty for my muscles to work with.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by monkspeed View Post
      I've been loosing body weight, body fat, and gaining muscle since I started the PB about three months ago....Oh by the way I was a skinnyfat 76kg (18ish % BF (my guesstimate)) when I started, now I am 69.4kg (14.34% BF)
      Those two statements are incompatible. According to your own numbers, you've lost 3kg (7 pounds) of lean body mass. That is a *lot* of muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
        Those two statements are incompatible. According to your own numbers, you've lost 3kg (7 pounds) of lean body mass. That is a *lot* of muscle.
        OK, you are right the numbers are not adding up, but, I do say in the brackets that it is a guesstimation, so it could have been around 20% and my current BF was taken using the electronic hand held thingy on the treadmill so that's not 100% reliable either...

But, since I have started ALL my lifts have steadily increased, how could one loose muscle but have increased strength. Heck when I started I couldn't even do 3 chin ups, now I do 'em with 15kg hanging off me, does that sound like someone loosing muscle?

I think we can all agree that what we all read on the 'interwebz' has to be taken with a pinch of salt these days, yes? That's why I suggested to the OP to try it out, if it doesn't work, then stop and move on with something else...

My PB & Workout Log
        My PB Journal

Comment

But, since I have started ALL my lifts have steadily increased, how could one loose muscle but have increased strength.
          It's pretty easy and pretty common. Strength and muscle size aren't tightly correlated, especially for those relatively new to training.

For someone already at fairly low BF%, it is extremely difficult to add lean mass while on a caloric deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
            It's pretty easy and pretty common. Strength and muscle size aren't tightly correlated, especially for those relatively new to training.

For someone already at fairly low BF%, it is extremely difficult to add lean mass while on a caloric deficit.
            Now I'm not sure if Martin Berkhan (Leangains guy) is on a calorie surplus or not but he maintains 6% bf all year round for a long time, and has been increasing muscle steadily. He does IF everyday so I'm guessing its not a bulking diet, but purely of maintenance. But of course this is just speculation...

I would like to think that our body's are quite smart and know when to eat muscle, and when to grow it. If I am getting good amounts of quality protein in, then why would it not utilise that?

I am just not convinced with this whole calories in/calories out theory. Sorry! *shrug*

My PB & Workout Log
            My PB Journal

Comment

The guy from the link advocates that for a 70kg (155lb) man, he consumes 616grams of carbohydrates when trying to build muscle...

2464 calories just from carbohydrates, I mean c'mon!!! Really???

This is just hilarious to me... People people, can I just say something that has been troubling me for a while, ever since I began lurking on here a few months ago...

This is the website of the Primal Blueprint author, Mark Sisson. He is an advocate of a low carbohydrate diet. He has written a successful book that advocates against chronic cardio, advocates a low carbohydrate diet.. And yet I see so many people suggesting others to eat high carbohydrate diets, and one woman from another thread was moaning about people (men specifically) that just walk on a treadmill even though this is exactly what Mark advocates in his book...

I am just dumbfounded why these people are here on this forum, really I am...

If you don't believe in the Primal Blueprint, and its rules why are you here??? Would you and your views not fit in better on bodybuilding.com or whatever?

Like I said earlier OP, the world is flat, the earth is the centre of the universe, and light travels through the ether...

My PB & Workout Log
              Believe it or not, Mark Sisson isn't God and everything he says isn't correct. Carbs are beneficial to post workout recovery and are almost essential for consistent high performance if you are regularly doing strenuous cardio. You won't be seeing any MMA or Muay Thai fighters on low carb diets.

The reason you can gain strength while losing muscle is the same reason fruitarians (people who only eat raw vegetables and fruit, emphasis on fruit) can do cardio or have reasonable strength; what is required and what is ideal aren't the same things.

Bodybuilders eat ridiculous amounts of protein, carbs and calories to maximise muscle synthesis. You do not need to eat 4000 calories a day, and 600 grams of carbs, but it may maximise your muscle building potential. Eating 2500 calories, with 150 grams of carb could also be successful, but its a slower route.

And no, if you don't eat right you will never build muscle. You will get stronger, as far as your limited muscle allows, but as soon as you reach that limit you won't get stronger until you build muscle. If you aren't on a calorie surplus you won't be building muscle.

As for the "calorie" theory, read some metabolic ward studies. There hasn't been a single one that shows that calories don't matter.
              Last edited by AMonkey; 09-30-2013, 01:02 AM.
              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                Believe it or not, Mark Sisson isn't God and everything he says isn't correct. Carbs are beneficial to post workout recovery and are almost essential for consistent high performance if you are regularly doing strenuous cardio. You won't be seeing any MMA or Muay Thai fighters on low carb diets.

The reason you can gain strength while losing muscle is the same reason fruitarians (people who only eat raw vegetables and fruit, emphasis on fruit) can do cardio or have reasonable strength; what is required and what is ideal aren't the same things.

Bodybuilders eat ridiculous amounts of protein, carbs and calories to maximise muscle synthesis. You do not need to eat 4000 calories a day, and 600 grams of carbs, but it may maximise your muscle building potential. Eating 2500 calories, with 150 grams of carb could also be successful, but its a slower route.

And no, if you don't eat right you will never build muscle. You will get stronger, as far as your limited muscle allows, but as soon as you reach that limit you won't get stronger until you build muscle. If you aren't on a calorie surplus you won't be building muscle.

As for the "calorie" theory, read some metabolic ward studies. There hasn't been a single one that shows that calories don't matter.
                Listen, all I know is I've been living my life according to Marks advice for the last three months and I'm I'm the best shape of my life, vs living the other 37 years according to CW and it got me, a belly, manboobs, and shit gains despite working out (stronglifts, and gomad)...

I think I'm gonna stick to Mark's advice. Thanks. ;-)

My PB & Workout Log
                My PB Journal

Comment

Listen, all I know is I've been living my life according to Marks advice for the last three months and I'm I'm the best shape of my life, vs living the other 37 years according to CW and it got me, a belly, manboobs, and shit gains despite working out (stronglifts, and gomad)...

My PB & Workout Log
                  That guy I linked to posted information regarding a 155lb man. It is believed that a 155lb man is underweight and not strong and ought to be closer to 200lbs. How are you going to go from 155 - 200 if you do not eat and if you do not eat a lot of protein and also get enough carbohydrates in to allow you to do the physical work (the HEAVY lifting) required to get there?

In your case, you are a person who is already fat and suffering metabolic syndrome. You got that way not from just carbs but from poor quality fats combined with acelluar carbohydrates, in other words, junk food. Once you mend your metabolism, you will be able to eat that kind of carbohydrate level again. Stay away from junk food, though. Potatoes and fruit are not going to kill you. I swear.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Now I'm not sure if Martin Berkhan (Leangains guy) is on a calorie surplus or not but he maintains 6% bf all year round for a long time, and has been increasing muscle steadily. He does IF everyday so I'm guessing its not a bulking diet, but purely of maintenance. But of course this is just speculation...
                    IIRC, he follows a complex cycle of over- and under-eating. He's certainly in the "low carb is bullshit" camp.

Comment

My PB & Workout Log
                      So you had a terrible diet, and a fundamental misunderstanding of weight lifting, so didn't achieve the goals you wanted. Now you're following Mark's advice and you are doing better, that is great. That does not mean Mark's advice is king and everything he says is correct.
                      http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Working...
                      X