Ad Widget

Collapse

in your opinion...best fat reduction strategy?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in your opinion...best fat reduction strategy?

i know every body is different, but i am looking for various things to try for reducing body fat.

background:

female
    38 yo (39 the end of the month)
    mother of 4 by c-section

on and off weight loss efforts since 2007 with several bouts of not giving hoot about what i eat, but i always return. have always HATED exercise. BUT, have been blessed with an intense desire to get fit with more than just losing weight, so for the last 2 mos have been walking and 3 days a week lifting as heavy as i can. i only have access to dumbbells so am limited on increasing weights, can only increase by 5 lbs. that's a big jump so have been at the weight i am at for awhile, but they are getting easier so am hoping to move up to the next weight in the next few weeks.

my goals for now are fat reduction and toning...IF i get to a point that i am able to add muscle, great, but for now, i simply want fat reduction with toning/firming.

i mostly eat protein, fat, WELL cooked veggies occasionally (gut can't handle too many veggies) and fruit ('mushy' type fruits work best...grapes, melon, frozen fruit in protein shakes/smoothies, altho i do love apples, they act like veggies do on my gut. ). have no idea on macros/calories/percentages as i can't tolerate that close of monitoring as it leads to obsessive tendencies. so it's best if i just don't count anything. i generally make loose mental notes of where i am protein wise. i have decided to try cutting fat down to see if that helps speed up fat loss along with some calorie reduction. it hasn't been long that i have been doing this and those danged social events keep popping up, but am hoping to get a good string of days with no 'interruptions'.

so, there's some background...i'd love to hear your best/favorite fat reduction plans.

thanks so much!!

IMO, knowing your caloric threshold is the best starting place, then you eat in a way that a) maximizes your nutrition while; b) establishes satiety and sustainability and c) complements your health and happiness.

Low-carb, high-carb, Paleo, vegan, and everything in between is up to the individual. They can all be effective, but the one that's best is the one that meets the criteria in my first paragraph.

Personally, I'm a fan of calorie and micronutrient tracking, exercise that you enjoy, and not restricting any macronutrient but also not deliberately consuming excess amounts of isolated and nutritionally-void forms of them; e.g., oils, butters, protein powder, sugar, etc. Just eat the whole food with minimal enhancement foods, like oils and sugar. These are supplements to use at one's discretion, not actual foods*.

* They are foods, but not nutritious. They can only complement an already nutritious diet. It's up to the individual to determine how much or how little is needed for their needs.
    Last edited by j3nn; 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

#1 - Eat at a caloric deficit. Nothing happens without this. There are a million ways to achieve this, use whatever works for you.

#2 - Make sure to eat enough protein, and if you can do some resistance training (even once a week) it will help hold onto lean mass.

Comment

1200 calories per day. Once a week or every 10 days, eat 1700 calories.
        Measure and weigh everything or you'll only be guessing how much you eat.
        Walk or bike about an hour at least 5x per week.

Plan your protein first. Eat eggs. Try hard boiled to curb hunger.
        Low carb to your comfort zone.
        Don't go so low fat that the ends of your hair start breaking off.

Figure out how you can do it for the long haul. If that's three small meals, cool. If it's one big meal, cool. Find something that feels like a treat so you don't feel deprived. Keep as primal as possible.

Take five or ten minutes in the morning to plan what you're going to eat. You'll make errors if you have an empty fridge or nothing around when you're hungry.

Just an opinion.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

My fat reduction plan is very similar to yours- I use a combination of diet/exercise and the exercise MUST include resistance training. Nothing ramps up my metabolism like resistance training does. I'm a fan of the P90X series just because I can do it at home and I got the best results with it (over both the gym and other video programs). An inexpensive alternative to P90X is a program called Supreme 90 Day which is similar but offers some differences (IE P90X uses Plyometrics for cardio, S90D uses Tabata).
          High Weight: 225
          Weight at start of Primal: 189
          Current Weight: 174
          Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Eat fat, get thin. Coconut oil and butter rock!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alanwil2 View Post
              Eat fat, get thin. Coconut oil and butter rock!!!
              Yep, just remember to stay away from everything else...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

How are things going with that list of what you currently eat? I mean the list looks excellent and I would expect good results, but I'd like to know how you think things are going for you as is.

As far as my opinion, I think you need a manageable workout solution that retains/gains muscle mass while you lose the weight. If all you got is dumbells thats more than enough. There are several "programs" to use in this regard. Here is a post that should get you rolling though:

Setting Yourself Up to Win: A Body By Science Approach | Mark's Daily Apple

Just a couple of tweaks I would recommend being your goal is fat loss. Do this twice a week. Consider doing two sets rather than just the one until you really get a feel for what momentary muscular fatigue really is. Also one addition. After the work out run 3 interval sprints of 30-60seconds all out and 2 minutes rest. So it only takes an extra 9 minutes of work, but it will really ramp up your fat burning, especially done after the aforementioned workout.

Do that and eat primal... thats all I recommend. Macro's will figure themselves out as long as your choosing quality food and avoiding non-primal fare IMO. One more thing... buy a tape measure or a pair of calipers and take measurements. That way you can make body composition your goal rather than just the weight on the scale. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  Also one addition. After the work out run 3 interval sprints of 30-60seconds all out and 2 minutes rest. So it only takes an extra 9 minutes of work, but it will really ramp up your fat burning, especially done after the aforementioned workout.
                  Sprinting (assuming your body can take it) is always a good fitness thing, but it burns very few calories during the exercise (Usain Bolt burns less than 20 calories(!) running at world-record speeds) and the "afterburn" effects have been studied to death and found to be insignificant.

Nothing wrong, and lots good, with doing them, just don't increase your calorie intake on the belief that sprinting is helping you burn a whack more calories.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    So it only takes an extra 9 minutes of work, but it will really ramp up your fat burning, especially done after the aforementioned workout.
                    Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
                    and the "afterburn" effects have been studied to death and found to be insignificant.
                    Not to be argumentative, and I dont have any studies or resources at my fingertips, but I have been hearing alot more especially lately, stating the same as Neckhammer, especially tacking it on the end of another workout. Not exclusive to just sprints. Anyways, just wondering about it all.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by dazygyrl View Post
                      i know every body is different, but i am looking for various things to try for reducing body fat.

background:

female
                      38 yo (39 the end of the month)
                      mother of 4 by c-section

on and off weight loss efforts since 2007 with several bouts of not giving hoot about what i eat, but i always return. have always HATED exercise. BUT, have been blessed with an intense desire to get fit with more than just losing weight, so for the last 2 mos have been walking and 3 days a week lifting as heavy as i can. i only have access to dumbbells so am limited on increasing weights, can only increase by 5 lbs. that's a big jump so have been at the weight i am at for awhile, but they are getting easier so am hoping to move up to the next weight in the next few weeks.

my goals for now are fat reduction and toning...IF i get to a point that i am able to add muscle, great, but for now, i simply want fat reduction with toning/firming.

i mostly eat protein, fat, WELL cooked veggies occasionally (gut can't handle too many veggies) and fruit ('mushy' type fruits work best...grapes, melon, frozen fruit in protein shakes/smoothies, altho i do love apples, they act like veggies do on my gut. ). have no idea on macros/calories/percentages as i can't tolerate that close of monitoring as it leads to obsessive tendencies. so it's best if i just don't count anything. i generally make loose mental notes of where i am protein wise. i have decided to try cutting fat down to see if that helps speed up fat loss along with some calorie reduction. it hasn't been long that i have been doing this and those danged social events keep popping up, but am hoping to get a good string of days with no 'interruptions'.

so, there's some background...i'd love to hear your best/favorite fat reduction plans.

thanks so much!!
                      Regarding the Dumbbells, buy some small weight discs ( around 1 lb ) and duct tape them to your dumbbells.

Comment

I am a 6' 39yo male with a drastic 30lb. weight swing which can hit each extreme multiple times a year depending on my behavior. When I was in my 20s the range was 205-235Lbs. I fumbled around with Atkins for 5 years and somehow lowered my set-point so that the range is now 175-205lbs. (currently 178-181 the past few months, always lower in summer).

I refuse to count anything, weigh anything, look up anything in an Index or do any math while trying to lose weight and don't weigh myself much in the beginning. The reason for this is that I am actually a compulsive data collector (I do metabolic science for a living) and it will wreck my life. I'm the type of person who logs mileage on his car when getting gas to see how fuel efficiency decreases between oil changes. If I go on long road trips, I have to avoid reading mileage sign post or I will do math in my head non-stop, cross-country. All this in spite of the fact that I'm not very good at math. If I had to keep track of my food it would consume my every moment.

I still use Ketosis when I want to lose weight quickly. I wish I had this figured out in my 20s, not just as I'm old enough to start losing my hair. But that's for the therapist.

This is what works for me when I decide I need to lose weight:
                        I fast for 36 hours (usually Sun night to Tues morning). Either Monday or Tuesday, I hit the gym hard and do as much as I can on an elliptical (no weights) to burn up glycogen reserves. Tuesday morning I'll have a big bacon & egg breakfast. I don't worry about how much I'm eating the first 5 days. I'll eat 2 bacon cheeseburgers topped with eggs in a row if that's what it takes to be sated. During this time, my carbs usually come from just greens like Kale, Collards, Mustard and I eat more cheese than I should. Somewhere in here I start taking a potassium supplement because I get charlie horses once this really gets going. I go to the gym 5 days a week and do what I can, but don't stick to a plan. I do at least 35 minutes on an elliptical "fat burning" cycle. I prefer the elliptical because I have incredible L5 back pain and can't stand much impact.

By the 5th day, I'm ready to start checking ketone levels with Ketostrips.
                        At 3-5 (sometimes 7) days, I experience headaches (carb flu), low energy, etc. I don't fight it because I know that in a few more days I will have a lot of energy and feel fine. I keep carbs at an absolute minimum. Atkins induction wanted me to eat 20g. I figure if I shoot for 20, I'll go over, so I shoot for "trace"-maybe 1.5cups of greens cooked in a rich broth. I check my ketones every few days until it reaches its maximum value-then I check every day because it gives me encouragement. I don't check the scale because it can still be a heartbreak at this point.

Somewhere between 10-14 days into this, I start flying. My mood improves, my energy skyrockets and my hunger evaporates. From now until I decide to stop, I lose weight steadily (~0.4lbs/day). I eat big salads, but nothing that stores energy below the ground, sweet peppers or fruit. I check the scale daily and ketones daily and they feed me energy. I can do intermittent fasting or have occasional days when I only eat a salad with chicken or breakfast meats & eggs. I also find that I can go out to a restaurant, think I screwed it all up, but find that I never lost the ketosis.

The biggest annoyance the first 2 weeks is quite frankly the social life. No one cares if you don't get a bagel at the office meeting, but once you decide you want to lose weight, a long lost friend, no,5 long-lost friends will show up and want to get a beer. Impromptu birthday parties at work and family functions can be harrowing (The "Greatest Generation" doesn't always understand-people who have seen war want to see fat on you, 40 extra miles of blood vessels for your heart to strain through be damned!). It's easy to say "to heck with it, I'll start over next week". Once I get to the high-energy, no hunger phase, you couldn't pay me to eat poorly.

I usually shoot for 175, 178 lbs. I try no to obsess over a target weight or date because that's bad psychology waiting to happen. Of course a "number" should not be important, but I know that's about where my clothes fits correctly.

Once I'm more or less at my target I'm at the horrible stage for males where you simply should not lose any more weight and you still have stupid love handles. But Ketosis in my opinion is not for the last few pounds. It's for big chunks. So I stop looking at weight and start looking at fat percentage. I'm usually at 15% or 16% when I start checking.

This is where I start losing comfort in the project because I don't know much about gaining lean mass because I hate (HATE!) gym circuit weight training. I want to learn the "your body is a gym" thing from the primal people because I am allergic to air conditioning and fluorescent lights (I think, or have decided).

I figure that at 72" tall with an 8" wrist circumference and the upper body strength of a small girl (with polio) I sure as hell don't need more than 20lbs of fat in me. So I keep working out until I get within that range as determined by the bio-impedance scale (Tanita). Then I take a few pictures with my shirt off just for the archives, hide them and start gaining weight back immediately.

I guess my goal is to weigh 180lbs with 11% body fat or less. If I get there, you'll see the pics! Presently at 181lbs and 16%BF, that's 152.04lbs. lean and 28.96 fat. My clothes fit well, but I would really like to bring that fat down and lean up, but now that losing fat is easy for me, gaining muscle make me want to cry.

Apparently it's not going to happen by the time I hit 40-but there I go with the numbers again.

Things I avoid while actively losing weight: Root vegetables, sweet vegetables, ethanol (outside of wine), fruit, any grain or rice and variations therein. I eat meat and vegetables. Luckily I have no sweet tooth. I try to be creative with food and drink 2-3 glasses of red wine 2-3 times a week.

I DO hope this helps.
                        ~Jimm
                        Last edited by Jimm; 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I hear Mark Sisson has these great books on this subject

Comment

And I drink an unhealthy amount of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmonfeeder View Post
                              I hear Mark Sisson has these great books on this subject
                              Not to mention Youtube videos.

As we used to say at the veterinary hospital, "THIS dog didn't read the medical texts, apparently." Sometime you find yourself not behaving as the texts predict and it's good to find others who fought through that.

Comment

Working...
                              X