Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver

Hi! I am new to the forum and had a question about liver. I can't stand the way cooked liver tastes or smells. I have found that the less it is cooked, the better. So I have come up with a method of cooking it, but I am curious if this method has any effect on depleting nutrients. I take a deer liver (if we have one) or one pound of chicken livers and liquify them in the blender. Then I pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze. Whenever I finish cooking chili, stew, or Primal jambalaya, I take some liver cubes and throw them into the hot, finished product. The cubes melt into the mix and there is not even a hint of a liver taste or smell. I would think that barely cooking it would leave the nutrients in tact, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for any help in advance!

Sounds like a great idea. I don't see any problem with eating liver ice cubes in your stews. Nutrients aren't going anywhere.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Nah, that sounds like a good idea. I just eat liver raw from frozen. Just make sure to freeze it for 14 days to ensure no pathogens.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Also, you lucky, lucky person having access to deer liver. I've managed to get it just a couple of times - delicious.

Comment

I know! I am so glad my hubby is a hunter!!! Although, I haven't had their livers, I have also had the wonderful experience of eating moose, antelope, and elk. Yum! Speaking of hunting. I have another question for any hunters out there. We just moved to Pennsylvania and are completely surrounded by corn and soybean fields. Does this affect the quality of the deer's meat at all?

Comment

Yeah that sounds like a great idea. I too just eat mine raw
              I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

=
                Ya know I actually did a bit of experimenting with this. I let one pound thaw in the refrigerator then ate:

1. First a few ounces raw
                2. Lightly seared (30s/side)
                3. Seared (1m/side)
                4. Seared then put back in with the onions to cook through.

Frankly the raw was the best and the more cooked it got from there the less I liked it. N=1 ..... I like raw liver

Or was I just getting sick of liver by step 4! Uh-oh just realized I'm gonna have to do this in reverse for the scientific community.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I am determined to eat the stuff but have ruined a few perfectly tasty meals by adding lumps...I'm going to have to grow a pair and eat it raw. I might take away the taste with some fermented monkey spunk, apparently high in zinc
                  Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                  www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Have you tried eating a high quality liverwurst?

Comment

Just FYI - I don't think the part about freezing for 14 days really rids it of all parasites. I read a paper where they found viable eggs of a parasite in the liver after 14 days in the freezer. Not worth the risk for me.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

The only way to rid something of parasites is to cook it to 165 degrees.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                        X