Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Take Two (13 years later) and needing advice on keeping calories up

I ate strict Paleo (Neanderthin was my guide at the time) for one year, back in 2000-2001. Circumstances sidetracked me, and it is now time to get back to it. I have gained 80 pounds eating the SAD, have chronic fatigue, and am hypothyroid. When I recall what and how I was eating before, I don't think I was getting enough calories. The result, for me, was adrenal exhaustion. I have loads of food allergies, so I sometimes feel it is easier to not eat at all than to find something acceptable to eat. However, I now know that it is very important to keep the fire stoked by taking in enough calories. I know that the excess 80 pounds will melt right off when I begin Primal eating again (today is Day 1) but I need to make sure I eat enough to keep the adrenals happy. There are many vegetables I can't eat, due to allergies, and most fruits I cannot tolerate at all. Leaky gut has been an issue since the 1980s for me. I do well with beef, chicken, carrots...a few other things. Developed allergies to almonds, pecans, and some other nuts and seeds. Is it okay to rely largely on fats to get enough calories and energy? If so, what fats would you suggest? I don't seem to tolerate coconut oil or fish oil. Any words of encouragement or suggestions on the above are much appreciated.

Originally posted by prtr View Post
    I ate strict Paleo (Neanderthin was my guide at the time) for one year, back in 2000-2001. Circumstances sidetracked me, and it is now time to get back to it. I have gained 80 pounds eating the SAD, have chronic fatigue, and am hypothyroid. When I recall what and how I was eating before, I don't think I was getting enough calories. The result, for me, was adrenal exhaustion. I have loads of food allergies, so I sometimes feel it is easier to not eat at all than to find something acceptable to eat. However, I now know that it is very important to keep the fire stoked by taking in enough calories. I know that the excess 80 pounds will melt right off when I begin Primal eating again (today is Day 1) but I need to make sure I eat enough to keep the adrenals happy. There are many vegetables I can't eat, due to allergies, and most fruits I cannot tolerate at all. Leaky gut has been an issue since the 1980s for me. I do well with beef, chicken, carrots...a few other things. Developed allergies to almonds, pecans, and some other nuts and seeds. Is it okay to rely largely on fats to get enough calories and energy? If so, what fats would you suggest? I don't seem to tolerate coconut oil or fish oil. Any words of encouragement or suggestions on the above are much appreciated.

Yes I would go for lard, and butter basically.

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't thought of lard.

Comment

Originally posted by fifer View Post
        Yes I would go for lard, and butter basically.
        Or try Tallow (lower in polyunsaturated fats than lard) ghee (clarified butter, so most of the milk solids have been removed).

http://skipthepie.org/fats-and-oils/...pared-to/lard/

Tallow is easy to make at home, you just need to get some beef or Mutton fat to render down. Either collect offcuts from your own meat until you have enough to half fill a pan, or get your local butcher to put some aside for you.
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
        X