Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you get a keytone tester or other gadgets to help when 1st going Primal

I'm on day 8 of switching to primal blueprint. I've been tracking my intake on PaleoTrak and estimating how my portion sizes and carbs, etc. Nothing lost on the scale yet.

Have spent the last couple of days reading through the forum and getting overwhelmed with information. Should I buy a keytone tester? a scale? a fat caliper thing-ey? Or just keep doing what I'm doing?

fwiw, I have only about 5 lbs that I want to shed. I'm just an over-exerciser and it pisses me off that I can't get rid of the 5 pounds no matter how much I work out.

Fat calipers will tell you if you are losing fat not if you are losing weight. A keytone tester will tell you if you are in ketosis not if you are losing weight. A scale will tell you if you are losing weight. Of course, you may be losing muscle weight, fluid weight, fat weight...the scale does not differentiate.

Why are you so worried about the number? If you lose an inch on your waist but not a pound on the scale is that failure? If you lose 5 pounds of muscle and can't exercise as effeciently is that a win?

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      Fat calipers will tell you if you are losing fat not if you are losing weight. A keytone tester will tell you if you are in ketosis not if you are losing weight. A scale will tell you if you are losing weight. Of course, you may be losing muscle weight, fluid weight, fat weight...the scale does not differentiate.

Why are you so worried about the number? If you lose an inch on your waist but not a pound on the scale is that failure? If you lose 5 pounds of muscle and can't exercise as effeciently is that a win?
      I've always been obsessed with the scale...that's MY baggage. Try as I might, unless the scale breaks (which is does from year to year) i will weigh myself. I just want to know what you've done to gauge progress.....for those of you who didn't have loads of weight to lose or who weren't necessarily trying to workout to get in shape.

I'm already in shape. I just want to find more balance in my life and not devote as much time (real time or mental time) to exercising/running/lifting. I don't want the obsession with exercise to rule my life like it has for the past 25 years.

Comment

Well, it seems to me that when you get to a certain point that body composition counts more than weight. We had a poster here some years ago that maintained the same body weight but her body fat percentage changed by 10+%. Basically she lost fat and gained muscle. How would you measure that? Fit of clothing and calipers would seem the best way.

Of course, you could lose fat, gain muscle and gain weight. If that is going to cause you distress I'd suggest ditching the scale. It seems to be doing no good outside of causing you to obsess.

As to how to achieve your goal, we would need more information:

A few days of food logs
        Exercise routine

That kind of thing.

We've had posters in the past post a food log containing 1000 calories of nuts as snacks and wondering why they can't lose weight. (Not saying you are doing this, but it is hard to make recomendations when you have no clues beyond "I want to lose 5 pounds")

Comment

You don't need a ketone meter or to even worry about ketones. You are not going to lose that last 5lbs from any kind of manipulation of your carbohydrate intake.

Here's what you need to do:
          1. Throw away your scale. Seriously.
          2. Eat 200g of protein a day.
          3. Do 2 sessions a week of all-out sprints (can use a stationary bike, rowing machine, whatever) of 20-30 seconds sprint and 1:20-2min rest.
          4. Lift barbells. Lift heavy. Do something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts. You want to especially do squats and deadlifts.
          5. Stop doing slow cardio. Read this: When Should You Do Conditioning? | thefitcoach
          6. EAT. Damn it, you must EAT. See number 2. It's time for you to GAIN weight. That's right.
          7. THROW OUT YOUR DAMN SCALE. Pick up a measuring tape instead.

Look at this lady here:
          Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

You won't necessarily ever look as jacked as her.

Here's what she looks like now, a lot more feminine but just as strong:
          An Update With Staci: OUR Powerlifting Superhero (Plus Academy Scholarships)! | Nerd Fitness

Read this:
          faq - xxfitness
          To Be A Beast | thefitcoach
          Dialing in the Training: Three Case Studies | thefitcoach
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

DEXA scans are the best for measuring bodyfat, but at a over a couple hundred bucks a pop they can get expensive real quick. Fat calipers are okay if you know how to use them correctly. Measuring tape in my opinion is better than calipers. The scale is the worst because it just measures how much you weigh, not lean body mass. Some scales do, but I am skeptical about how accurate they are.

Comment

Working...
            X