Ad Widget

Collapse

Gotta increase my fiber; is this a good idee?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta increase my fiber; is this a good idee?

Surgeon removed four polyps from my colon last week and suggested I increase my fiber intake. I'm pretty careful about my nutrition, but had admittedly neglected this area, and later found out my siblings (we're all in our 60's) have had similar difficulties, tho never discussed them. After some reading, discovered that two half-cupfuls of "Fiber One" (General Mills) cereal provides 28grams of fiber! I assume my other food, fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, etc. would make up the balance of a 30-35gram intake each day.

My Question: If I consume this cereal, dry, as a snack, twice a day, it seems I'd not have to burden myself anymore in counting fiber grams. IMO, the cereal tastes ok, good enough for a between meal snack. This would not, as one person suggested, be my only food during the day, or my only source of fiber! However, seems it'd be an easy insurance policy that I'd get my daily dose of fiber. Do you agree? If not, why, and what would you suggest?

Are you familiar with what this web site is about, especially diet-wise?

Comment

so quikky, sawdust glued together into rabbit pellets and dusted with artificial sweetener is not Primal?
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Your question suggests I'm not. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobs View Post
          Your question suggests I'm not. Sorry.
          Check this out: Start Here

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            so quikky, sawdust glued together into rabbit pellets and dusted with artificial sweetener is not Primal?
            Only if it's grass-fed rabbit pellets.

Comment

Bobs, this site is about eating unprocessed foods. Foods such as cereals, crackers, breads etc. are considered processed foods. You might want to read the Start Here section if you are interested. There are lots of veggies that are considered high fiber. Kale for example.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Bobs - I would refer you to the blog of Dr. BG. if you want to learn about keeping healthy guts.

Bottom-line, though, you will never get it right by reading the 'fiber' content that is printed on the nutrition label. For truly healthy bowels, you should figure out what the Primal Blueprint is all about and completely re-tool your eating habits. If you are overweight and unhealthy or if you are lean and muscular, the Primal Blueprint is equally important.

We all may argue around here, but mostly we agree on a common theme: avoid refined sugar, wheat, and vegetable oil. Also, ensure your diet is filled with plenty of vegetables and some fruit.

If you are otherwise healthy and happy and just want more fiber, eat a lot of different vegetables. Learn all you can about the most important type of fiber--fermentable fiber, and learn what it is and where it's found (hint: not FiberOne cereal). Do some Google'ing on inulin, resistant starch, and fermentable fiber.

If you are a fan of this website and Mark Sisson, I'd suggest you read his latest post on fiber from just a few weeks ago.

I can sense the sincerity in your original post, so I hope this helps.

Comment

Fibre for fibre's sake doesn't seem to help with anything other than crapping more frequently. If you want better bowel health then you should be concerned with eating nutritious whole foods (including fruits and vegetables) rather than eating high fibre foods (which are inevitably cereal grains).
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Working...
                  X