Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D lamp?

Anybody using a vitamin D lamp? I see crazy-expensive ones, and I'm like - I have a lizard lamp. It makes the lizard make vitamin D. Why don't I just use that thing? I have used it in the past to relax my sore muscles, but I was hoping for more feedback. Anybody know if the lizard lamp is the right wavelength for human use?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

What Kind of Light is Best - When Your Body Gets the Blues
    Got my life back September 23rd 2013...Female 5'6"

HW 210lbs
    SW 202lbs
    CW189lbs
    GW140lbs

The best feeling is not feeling depressed

My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95382.html

Comment

Lighting and heating for reptiles: They are not the same thing
      Got my life back September 23rd 2013...Female 5'6"

HW 210lbs
      SW 202lbs
      CW189lbs
      GW140lbs

The best feeling is not feeling depressed

My journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95382.html

Comment

A friend of mine used a morin wake up lamp to get her to wake up more naturally and in the winter she spends time under a lamp that is created to stimulate making Vit. D but I have no idea what brand it is. I'll ask her tonight...
        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Thanks people!
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I just started tanning again. I had stopped for years but this fall I just feel blue (it's rained for about the last 2-1/2 months) and I remembered I used to feel pretty great after tanning. I checked and some tanning booths do have the UVB that stimulates vitamin D. I asked specifically for that type of tanning booth and bought a package. I know tanning is bad and blah-blah but I think it's like most things- in moderation ok, in excess bad. I don't plan on turning into a leather-skinned sun worshiper. I just want to feel better, and possibly not be pasty white. Not recommending this, just tossing it out as an option.
            High Weight: 225
            Weight at start of Primal: 189
            Current Weight: 174
            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I take 8000 IU's of vitamin D and 4000mg fish oil daily. This really helps over the winter!!!!

Comment

Use it on the lizard> eat the lizard

Comment

If you are looking for the light to make Vit D, just realize that is not the same as the light to treat SAD. Tanning only works secondarily through Vit D, it has a more immediate impact on mood through other pathways... A light box should be as effective as tanning. And then, as someone else said, eat the Vit D.

I use the lightbox to "miss" sunset... I close the shades before sunset and keep the lightbox on through it. For me, that has been more effective than morning use during the winter. YMMV.
                  “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                  Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

You're in the Great NorthWest. Lots of rain, but lots of sunshine. But I also think you work nights. Get your ass outside. Seattle gets a lot of partly sunny days. Use them. Even when it's overcast, you're getting some sun. You don't need no steenkin' lamp.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

No, there is no vitamin D making in the winter. The sun never gets high enough. I have to either supplement or lamp, and lamp is closer to nature than pill...
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Still dont understand why it is optimal to supplement in the winter? This is a very recent phenomena, maybe we dont need it?

Comment

We are tropical. Barely adapted for these near-arctic conditions.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Supposedly anyone North of San Francisco needs vit D supplements. Dr. Google said that. No clue if it's true. In Oregon and Washington, we get very little sun in the winter months and when we do, we are covered with clothes because it's freezing. In the summer months, I run around in tank tops and shorts. My doc has me supplement from Nov-April.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kegas76 View Post
                              Use it on the lizard> eat the lizard
                              Mmmm Lizard gizzard <drool>
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X