No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining bulk on primal blueprint

Hi

I'm new to this primal way of life and so far I'm finding it to be great. I really like the outlook on food exercise and life in general.....but there is a problem.

I'm quite a skinny guy, not the strongest and appear to have no fat at all. I want to gain a bit more mass to feel more comfortable and the way I've always been told is to eat lots of carbs.

I don't want to have a body boulders body but I want to look like I'm fit and muscular and gain a bit of bulk. The problem is, because I'm new to this, I don't know if it's possible to do this by eating primal.

I would love some advice and help on this subject. Can I gain mass by eating primal? What will I use instead of carbs to gain this bulk?

I'm a hard gainer so I've been told to eat loads but I want to know if there is a way I can to this healthily and primal.

Thanks

Ross

Lift weights.

Eat eat eat eat.

Repeat.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Hi Ross, and welcome to the forum.

You can most definitely gain some mass while still eating Primal foods. I did it myself. Carbs definitely helped me. I ate (and still do eat) lots of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, even some rice on occasion even though it's strictly not Primal. Other good Primal starchy carb options are yuca/cassava (twice as many carbs as potato), plantains, and taro. You can also ramp up your fruit intake: bananas, figs, dates, plums, etc.

I tried gaining mass with a higher fat approach, but that did not work as well for me. I gained more fat mass as compared with a high carb approach.

Regardless of your specific eating plan, don't forget to get PLENTY of protein. DO that and stick to a solid lifting plan and you will add some good muscle in short order.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Protein isn't a problem but I just have trouble gaining a bit of healthy weight. I guess I just need to look at the carbs I can eat. There seems to be a much higher carb content in pasta etc but I'm just goons need to eat more of the good carbs I take it?

Take the healthy option and not the shortcut.

Does anyone know healthy primal foods that are highest in carbs

Comment

Can you digest carbs properly? Any malabsorption or digestive issues you may have? I've noticed a lot of hardgainers have a hard time digesting certain forms of carbohydrates. I can't simply starch pounding starch & gain weight.

Comment

Nah I don't have a problem with carbs at all I just have a really fast metabolism.

What are primal safe foods to eat that are high in weight gaining properties. Carbs etc?

Comment

Then eat up. I'd eat as much potato & fruit as I can stomach. Potato more than fruit, think you'll find the calories more dense there. I think some around here like rice, don't think it'll hurt you if you can digest it well.

Also, I've turned up the volume on dairy as well. The key for you is dense calories. Just eat whole food. Eat steak, veggies, cheese, yogurt, fruit, potatoes, fish, more potatoes, mashed, white, sweet. Simply eat more. Coconut milk could be a solid add for you as well. Dairy has done wonders for me, I have a carb sensitivity, so more reliant on dairy & fat here.

Also look into moving less. I like resting more between sets in the gym, 3-5 minutes between lifts. I actually lift only twice a week when I'm bulking. You're more likely to overtrain if you're a hardgainer. Lift heavy & less often.

Your gains are made in the kitchen & while your resting, eat natural food. & for me, a cheat meal of ice cream & high calorie trash helps if I'm bulking. Not primal, but I like the calories.
              Last edited by abc123; 10-12-2013, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I'm in a bulking phase now and agree that increasing your carbs is the thing to do. But, be wise about it and don't go overboard. If you're really serious about bulking, you should be eating 7 - 9 meals in a 24 hour period, while lifting HEAVY! (Several meals less on non-lifting days) Yes, 7 - 9. That was not a typo. It's nearly a full time job to eat about every 3 hours and is actually quite difficult to do. The size portions should be about the size of your fist, or so, and contain plenty of proteins besides the carbs. Just eat until satiated, as you DON'T need to stuff yourself.
                Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 10-12-2013, 06:41 PM.
                Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
                Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
                Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Comment

Here's the carb content for 100g (cooked for starches, raw for fruits) of some Primal foods:

White potatoes: 20g
                  Sweet potatoes: 18g
                  Yuca/Cassava: 33g
                  Rice (technically not Primal, but many think it's harmless): 29g

Banana: 23g
                  Dates (dried) : 75g

Comment

I actually used to be the skinniest/smallest guy on my football team in high school. I had to learn this the hard way over the years. While you do need to eat to grow, going crazy with the bulking will only lead to fat gain.

The better way to go about it is to focus mainly on the weights. Always strive to get stronger in squats, bench press, and deadlifts.

When you do it that way, you focus on getting stronger, not so much about your weight. When you do it that way, and if you listen to your body's natural intuition, it should tell you how much to eat.

When you do it that way, the "weight" gan will come more slowly, but realize it will be more "honest" weight because it will be all muscle and not fat.

I think you are going about it the right way however by sticking to primal foods. I agree with the others that you do need carbs to grow. Sticking with primal foods should keep you lean.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped View Post
                      I actually used to be the skinniest/smallest guy on my football team in high school. I had to learn this the hard way over the years. While you do need to eat to grow, going crazy with the bulking will only lead to fat gain.

The better way to go about it is to focus mainly on the weights. Always strive to get stronger in squats, bench press, and deadlifts.

When you do it that way, you focus on getting stronger, not so much about your weight. When you do it that way, and if you listen to your body's natural intuition, it should tell you how much to eat.

When you do it that way, the "weight" gan will come more slowly, but realize it will be more "honest" weight because it will be all muscle and not fat.

I think you are going about it the right way however by sticking to primal foods. I agree with the others that you do need carbs to grow. Sticking with primal foods should keep you lean.
                      Good solid advice right here.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice guys, il definitely take it on board

Comment

CrossFit athletes are pretty damn bulk. They recommend the paleo/primal eating strategy as well. In their level 1 training manual, they recommend...
                          "Eat lots of meat, vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar."
                          The sport is about functional multi joint exercises like calisthenics (bodyweight), gymnastic, and olympic weghtlifting training.

If it works for them, it will work for you.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                          X