Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avocadoes and avocado oil

I can only buy them from a regular grocery store I am finding them to have a very small window where they are good to me. Maybe 12 to 24 hours where it would be good to me. For the first days, they are too green and unripe tasting. Then I think they are over-ripe because they get a slight vinegar-like taste. Don't know if that's still edible, but I don't like them. Is it an acquired taste and I should try to like that vinegar flavor, or are those spoiled?

I am not doing well with catching them on the right day, and can't afford to waste them. I think it's because of how they're treated during transport and in-store. I know that eating them un-ripened is bad. Skip avocadoes altogether?

I want the health benefits, so could I eat avocado oil as a supplement? I doubt I could cook with it more than once a week, so I was thinking of eating it with a spoon, like many do with coconut oil. Would it taste bad to me?

Originally posted by Aquamarine View Post
    I can only buy them from a regular grocery store I am finding them to have a very small window where they are good to me. Maybe 12 to 24 hours where it would be good to me. For the first days, they are too green and unripe tasting. Then I think they are over-ripe because they get a slight vinegar-like taste. Don't know if that's still edible, but I don't like them. Is it an acquired taste and I should try to like that vinegar flavor, or are those spoiled?

I am not doing well with catching them on the right day, and can't afford to waste them. I think it's because of how they're treated during transport and in-store. I know that eating them un-ripened is bad. Skip avocadoes altogether?

I want the health benefits, so could I eat avocado oil as a supplement? I doubt I could cook with it more than once a week, so I was thinking of eating it with a spoon, like many do with coconut oil. Would it taste bad to me?
    Avocados are perfect when the skin is almost black and there is a slight give to them when you squeeze. Don't buy too many avocados at once and have a game plan in terms of what you are going to do with them and when and then pick them out accordingly. I usually get avocados that are a day away from being ripe and use them in the next 1-2 days. I give any over ripe avocados to my boyfriend. They don't taste as good as perfectly ripe, but he hasn't died yet so it must be safe.

Avocado Oil isn't as healthy, and certainly not as tasty.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

You can extend that window a bit by keeping them in the fridge

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by DennyB View Post
        Oh yeah. I'll have to get better at recognizing because I hate to refrigerate too soon (or late).

I don't even mind the the under-ripe taste too much, but they have something bad in them (anti-nutrient I suppose).

Comment

Originally posted by DennyB View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
          Yep..I grew up with 32 avocados in my backyard. When I buy the bag of 5 avocados from Costco, I put 3-4 in the fridge. Dont ripen and put them in the fridge..do it when they are hard or to slow the ripening.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
          X