Ad Widget

I'm starving! Ideas for cheap food?

No announcement yet.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starving! Ideas for cheap food?

I've been wwoofing at a farm for a month now, and I essentially work for food and a place to stay. The food is fine here, they oblige my gluten free approach, but I just can't seem to get enough calories! I eat farm eggs and veggies every day, lots if coconut oil and butter, quite a few potatoes, and sardines or tuna everyday, but I still have days where I just need more food. This is when I break down and eat way too many bananas (we have a farm surplus) and almond butter. I've got to kick these fruit fixes and up my fat and protein.

I'm making a shopping list for them to pick me up a few items, but I can't really think of affordable foods with high levels of fats and proteins that I could snack on throughout the week.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Living in Hawaii, so the food costs are a little ridiculous.

Thanks all

minced meat

Gelatin, potatoes, white rice, canned clams and oysters, liver, and dairy like cottage cheese are all affordable and will help with satiety and energy.

You live in Hawaii, so I imagine fruit is one of the cheaper foods; eat lots of it!
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Are nuts very expensive? You might want to eat more of those.
        And meat, I don't see you eating much meat. I'd understand if you are vegetarian but you do eat fish, so is it the costs?

I'd imagine that raw cacao powder isn't all that expensive over there... mix melted coconut oil, shredded coconut, cacao and a sweetner like maple syrup or honey (just a little bit) and place it in the freezer. You get a kind of bounty bar but it's high on good fats and calories.

try and see if you can order seeds of veggies and fruits online and plant them yourself. from what I know in your part of the world almost anything grows. Strawberries grow quickly and easily. Raspberries as well. if you grow it yourself (if you have the space) you save money for more expensive foods.
        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Sardines/canned herring/canned fish in general have great protein/fat breakdowns.

Chicken!! I get whole ones from Sams because of budget issues for 99 cents a pound (i know not the best quality, but the best i can afford) which last me 4 - 5 good meals

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You're in Hawaii, I imagine Spam is cheap, it will certainly keep some weight on you, plus it's total protein

Spam is very popular in Hawaii, spam and rice is a dish I remember seeing when I was there.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Isn't Spam processed food??

I also live on an island and food costs are high, even fruit! White rice cooked in broth, local tubers, potatoes are the cheapest.

Spam is toxic anti-food.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

When you're getting hungry doing physical work, is there some special reason not to eat all the fruit you want??

Crohn's, doing SCD

SPAM is not so bad. This is a temporary situation.

SPAM rocks. You can't be a bacon fan and simultaneously denigrate my beloved SPAM. You even get gelatin with SPAM.

The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.
                            Source: Spam (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you can make musubi with it:

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

So, it sounds like you have a problem with "hunger", that is feeling full and satiety. Which is completely different that needing extra calories. It would be helpful if you gave us an idea of what your diet goals are (to lose weight/fat, maintain, increase your energy level, gain mass, etc) and how you have structured your primal diet (vlc, lc, pb, peat like, JERF, etc).

I sounds like you have a good start, what is stopping you from eating more of what you already are? Otherwise, off the top of my head: organ meats, more eggs (assuming no bad reactions), gelatin, beef roasts.
                              turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS