X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoplin
    started a topic bone broth

bone broth

If I can't source out grass feed organic beef/pork is it still healthy to make bone broth soup? Or is the crap in conventionally raised animals also in the bone and I'm just boiling a bunch of garbage?

Thanks for your insights folks!

S.

ps. If any of you have any leads on where to get organic, grass-feed animals in Jeju, South Korea, I'd be grateful for that info. Cheers~

• innadoom
    replied
    Agreed that some gelatin is better than none. I've ordered grassfed beef/other stuff from two different farms in my state and both had much lower/very affordable prices for bones than for the meat, so you should definitely look into that and buy them in bulk for cheap.

I've read that conventional chickens tend to have a lot of arsenic in their bones and it's one of the highest sources of dietary arsenic. I still use the bones to make broth, but just something to be aware of, if it's true.

Leave a comment:

• manderfolx
    replied
    The bone broth trend is everywhere but first and for most, homemade bone broth is excellent speeding healing and recuperation. You should also be try bone broth soup its good for to health bones from your local health food store.

Leave a comment:

• APPLEGIRL
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've been doing the last sentence of the above quote for the last 26 months in regards to eating grass-fed beef and pork as well as range free chickens and their eggs. After losing my husband several years ago I began life under the dictates of a "fixed income" and the budget just won't stretch to cover the kind of meat and eggs I suppose I should be eating. I've often felt, over this period of time, that since I couldn't "work the program" as prescribed I might be wasting my efforts. In that same time I've lost 133 lbs. and haven't been sick once and I work in the school library . . . kids. I understand we all respond to eating and what we eat, differently but sometimes I'd get the feeling that if I can't insert "grass fed or range free" into my post somewhere I'm not playing by the rules. Those feelings usually hit, I admit, when I was hungry, the scale hadn't moved for days, I was tired or the machanic just said I needed new tires. Doing the best I can with what I've been blessed with has to be ok too.
    FABULOUS! That is the spirit. I do the best I can too. I happened to find a great source of grass fed beef from a local farmer - not much more per lb than supermarket stuff, and she gives me free soup bones, as she says I am doing her a favor. Can you believe it? She gave me 50lbs of bones from her grass fed animals. I really felt blessed. I love making bone broth, and even if I don't turn it into soup, I will often heat up a cup and drop an egg or two in whole to poach - what a wonderful hearty lunch. It has really helped with some aches and pains in my joints.

Rosemary, You are not only workin' the program, you are rockin' it!

Leave a comment:

• RittenRemedy
    replied
    Well isn't that funny; I just started a thread a couple days ago with the exact same question also stemming from living in Korea. Verdict over in my thread was good, as it's mostly minerals and connective tissue you're after anyway, but I'll read these answers as well.

How are you liking Korea? I spent a week in Jeju and loved it, way cooler and more relaxed than the mainland.

Leave a comment:

• justme
    replied
    I love the bone broth recipe at wellnessmama.com! I have only used it for chicken bones so far, but it tastes so yummy.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• Rosemary 231
    replied
    Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
    I love this post!!! You rock Rosemary! I suspect a lot of people on here are the same way, or close anyway. Gives us all hope! Even if we can't afford the 'good stuff', or maybe don't always have access to it, we do what we can! I have been blessed and fortunate to come into more money recently, so I am now able to invest in more grass-fed, organic, free range, pastured, etc......but not always! And I have seen some good results despite not being able to adhere to the 'rules'.....we do what we can, and keep fighting the good fight!
    Thanks, you're an upper!

Leave a comment:

• scoplin
    replied
    I've used the recipe found at the top of the comments section found there. Not as large of quantity mind you!

Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

Leave a comment:

• oceangrl
    replied
    Google is your friend. :-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Barnyard
    replied
    So, this may seem like a stupid question, but how do you all make your own bone broth? I have never done it, so.....thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Barnyard
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've been doing the last sentence of the above quote for the last 26 months in regards to eating grass-fed beef and pork as well as range free chickens and their eggs. After losing my husband several years ago I began life under the dictates of a "fixed income" and the budget just won't stretch to cover the kind of meat and eggs I suppose I should be eating. I've often felt, over this period of time, that since I couldn't "work the program" as prescribed I might be wasting my efforts. In that same time I've lost 133 lbs. and haven't been sick once and I work in the school library . . . kids. I understand we all respond to eating and what we eat differently but sometimes I'd get the feeling that if I can't insert "grass fed or range free" into my post somewhere I'm not playing by the rules. Those feelings usually hit, I admit, when I was hungry, the scale hadn't moved for days, I was tired or the machanic just said I needed new tires. Doing the best I can with what I've been blessed with has to be ok too.
    I love this post!!! You rock Rosemary! I suspect a lot of people on here are the same way, or close anyway. Gives us all hope! Even if we can't afford the 'good stuff', or maybe don't always have access to it, we do what we can! I have been blessed and fortunate to come into more money recently, so I am now able to invest in more grass-fed, organic, free range, pastured, etc......but not always! And I have seen some good results despite not being able to adhere to the 'rules'.....we do what we can, and keep fighting the good fight!

Leave a comment:

• slowcooker
    replied
    Have you searched eatwild.com?

oops - just saw you were looking for SK not CDA

Leave a comment:

• Rosemary 231
    replied
    Originally posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    I'd still go ahead and make my own. You're going to be light years ahead of anything else out there and there are plenty of benefits from the minerals and collagen. Don't forget to skim the fat off the top once it's chilled. You'll get rid of a bulk of the nasty stuff doing that, as often toxins are stored in the fat. I think it's important to do the best you can with what you have and not worry about perfection. Good luck!
    I've been doing the last sentence of the above quote for the last 26 months in regards to eating grass-fed beef and pork as well as range free chickens and their eggs. After losing my husband several years ago I began life under the dictates of a "fixed income" and the budget just won't stretch to cover the kind of meat and eggs I suppose I should be eating. I've often felt, over this period of time, that since I couldn't "work the program" as prescribed I might be wasting my efforts. In that same time I've lost 133 lbs. and haven't been sick once and I work in the school library . . . kids. I understand we all respond to eating and what we eat, differently but sometimes I'd get the feeling that if I can't insert "grass fed or range free" into my post somewhere I'm not playing by the rules. Those feelings usually hit, I admit, when I was hungry, the scale hadn't moved for days, I was tired or the machanic just said I needed new tires. Doing the best I can with what I've been blessed with has to be ok too.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scoplin
    replied
    Good to know. Thanks everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Opera
    replied
    I've found organic, grass fed beef bones around at farmers markets for prices comparable to conventional bones. It's worth keeping an eye out. Otherwise, what the others have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X