Ad Widget

Collapse

Opinion on refined sugar/sugary primal foods?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Whole30 specifically isn't meant to be a way of eating; it's intended to be done for 30 days so that, as oceangrl says, people can pinpoint what foods have been unhealthy.
    Yup, this is the good bit. It's great really. They made paleo popular, and now more people can have a chance to figure out what, if anything, ails them. I've done a whole30 myself. I just don't like that once the thirty days is over, they don't say hey, this isn't just a temporary diet. It's a learning experience for you to take something away from. Then there's the "we're not cavemen, we're science." Just admit what you are! It's not a bad thing!

I also have been high raw (75-80ish?) vegan so....... Yeah. Black and white dietary advice... My bad.

((Wow this thread asploded!))

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
      Absolutely. But it is a matter of a personal choice and a failure or success is personal. All I object to is to treating anything as the One True Way. Culturally, feelings about food were more often than not influenced by righteousness... I really come to dislike that.
      This.

For someone who writes for fun, I suck at getting my point across.

Comment

I love you guys.

(Potato hack for the lulz...)

((Oh fuck why is it 0103 and I'm out of wine... Night shift, man...)

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed that is how a lot of skinny people eat. Crap food, very little of it. Lots of diet caffeine and cigarettes.
          And that's where CW takes off on a limb, postulating that everyone could do it. But, it is individual appetite control coupled with how the person responds to caffeine and nicotine stimulation that allows a small group of people to eat under 1,000 cal a day and substitute deficit for non-caloric gratifications. Now, CW doesn't promote smoking, obviously, leaving just caffeine and art flavors as a suppressant.

Anyway, I dunno why I am typing this, I gotta get back to work.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

By the way, I stopped counting my macros/calorie counting/food logging. That, for me, triggers orthorexia (which then, eventually, leads to me hitting the wall and binging on SAD foods). You may want to try not counting macros, etc., for a time and see what the effects are. If you're looking to lose weight/inches, go by how your clothes feel rather than what a scale says. If you're going for overall health, see what your energy levels/mood is like.
            I see this thread is getting a little off topic, but thanks-this was helpful! I think it is the orthorexia that might freak out if I eat too much fruit or something, and I should just eat within reason for enjoyment as well. It's helpful learning from other people that sugar is not black and white, even refined sugar, and that people can moderate it into their diets without freaking out.

Comment

When I crave sugar, I eat fruit or potatoes (or something as simple like rice, dates) as much as I want. Since I started doing this I stopped binging completely. This was huge for me, as I'd struggled with binging for 10 years.

Back when I was low carb, I could eat a huge steak and still be craving dessert.. that didn't work out so well at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                I see this thread is getting a little off topic, but thanks-this was helpful! I think it is the orthorexia that might freak out if I eat too much fruit or something, and I should just eat within reason for enjoyment as well. It's helpful learning from other people that sugar is not black and white, even refined sugar, and that people can moderate it into their diets without freaking out.
                Glad to help! By the way, something that I'm discovering is that now that I've been grain-free for a month, when I have a glass of wine (specifically, Riesling), that seems to trigger an urge for sugar -- and not fruits/sweet potatoes but chocolate and ice cream. I've also found Riesling to taste overly sweet now, even though I used to truly love it. Going to see if I get the same urges with reds/other whites.
                F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Hmm, it's interesting how some foods trigger other cravings. That actually happens to me sometimes with fat-- I could eat till I'm totally full but that just makes me crave more fat-- I'm not sure its psychologically and actually my body saying something that I don't feel satisfied until I fulfill that fat craving.

Comment

Glad to help! By the way, something that I'm discovering is that now that I've been grain-free for a month, when I have a glass of wine (specifically, Riesling), that seems to trigger an urge for sugar -- and not fruits/sweet potatoes but chocolate and ice cream. I've also found Riesling to taste overly sweet now, even though I used to truly love it. Going to see if I get the same urges with reds/other whites.
                    rieslings can be all over the map with residual sugar. if buying german look for "kabinett" on the label.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      rieslings can be all over the map with residual sugar. if buying german look for "kabinett" on the label.
                      Thanks for the suggestion!
                      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Working...
                      X