Ad Widget

Collapse

Whats the best book on Nutrition available?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished the Perfect Health Diet.

Yeah I gave it crap earlier in this thread because it dubbed white rice a paleolithic food.

But actually it's a fairly interesting book. Their attempt at defining an "optimal range" for macro and micronutrients was fascinating. I'm recommending it to newbies who ask me the best book -- because it balances being readable, with plenty of references, and summaries on the science behind the claims.
    Last edited by KimchiNinja; 12-05-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Kimchi

I have that on my list so looking forward to it!

Little reviews like this are really helpful and I'll try and continue this on (see my post above) so it can help! If any one wants to add more over the coming months etc then feel free!!!

KimchiNinja: how did they get round/ position the white rice as Paleo in the end?
      UK PBer

Comment

Originally posted by spursberry View Post
        KimchiNinja: how did they get round/ position the white rice as Paleo in the end?
        In PHD practicality > authenticity. Rice has its share of grain allergens but they're either contained in the bran (removed) or disintegrate at 100C. It's still not a first choice (low micronutrients) but it's a net positive when it displaces other grains. Plus PHD values classic cuisines and prefers not to exclude huge swaths of them without good reason.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

If you want to read up on science and how the flawed the reasoning is for the government's nutritional guidelines are:
          Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health: Gary Taubes: 9781400033461: Amazon.com: Books and, it's simplified/shortened version Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It: Gary Taubes: 9780307474254: Amazon.com: Books

Gary Taubes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Calories, Bad Calories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
            In PHD practicality > authenticity. Rice has its share of grain allergens but they're either contained in the bran (removed) or disintegrate at 100C.
            Yeah, that part was interesting. The conventional wisdom is "eat whole foods, they are better", yet when dealing with foods we are not adapted to that wisdom no longer applies -- we want to remove the part we are not adapted to. Basically white rice is pure starch.

They also mentioned an interesting Japanese study. The Japanese monitored children who were fed on rice and wheat. The children who at rice had IQs 3-4pts higher than the wheat kids. That difference almost explains the difference between US and JP IQs. Is this going to be yet another example of people thinking it's genetic, when actually it's environmental? That Americans are receiving an IQ penalty for eating wheat?

Dunno, but the book had some interesting ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X