Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I' ve just really wanted to eat a snickers bar (think I had the last one 1/2 year ago)...I did, I enjoyed and am proud that I didn't eat a second one like months ago. If I hadn't eaten it, I would have ended up eating around it and end with faar more calories, fat and not as satisfied as I am right now.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      The issue resulted from a series of steps that you took. Very likely the steps are the same steps that you take each time you make the same "mistake". Going back to identify those steps will help you identify when the process is happening, and will give you multiple places for strategic intervention.
      Yeah, I'm a big fan of reflecting on one's missteps, seeing the pattern, changing it into a new pattern by changing the underlying cause. As Einstein put it, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is madness". But you have to truly know the underlying cause, willpower won't do it.

By the way, the underlying cause for me was sugar addiction. And that's what I see in the people around me too. I know some people disagree that it is addictive, but I think if we start admitting sugar is an addictive drug it will be a big "ooohhhhh I get it now" moment, and society can start moving forward and get past these global health problems.

It's just like people who are addicted to alcohol -- they need to stop drinking completely for life. But what if your society didn't believe alcohol was addictive? Then you would foolishly just keep trying to "cut back", and fail over and over again, and beat yourself up. You'd post on the internet that you were trying to follow the 80/20 drinking rule (drink only 2 in 10 days) but somehow it kept turing into 20/80 drinking!

I think if we see sugar as addictive we stop blaming ourselves and see the underlying problem more clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
        It's just like people who are addicted to alcohol -- they need to stop drinking completely for life. But what if your society didn't believe alcohol was addictive? Then you would foolishly just keep trying to "cut back", and fail over and over again, and beat yourself up. You'd post on the internet that you were trying to follow the 80/20 drinking rule (drink only 2 in 10 days) but somehow it kept turning into 20/80 drinking!
        Back during Colonial times, there was no safe drinking water. People just didn't drink water. People drank alcohol - beer and distilled spirits. There were lots of drunks who were chastized for overdrinking. But alcohol then was like food is and has always been: it was what they had to drink.

Comment

I have been a sugar junkie for a long time as well. I was surprised to see how easy it was to overcome the worst of it with PB.
          I still eat a little sugar, what's in my dark chocolate but besides that I only eat sugars that are naturally in fruits.

My biggest issue is the habit of snacking, I snack when bored or when sitting behind the laptop. just so you have something to do with your hands and to keep your mind busy. I'm having a hard time kicking that habit. like the standard piece of fruit at 10am, the excesive snacking on everything sweet at 3pm or the coach-potato's hand in a bag moment in the evening.

The morning snack I'm trying to kick with 16 hours IF and the evening snack has been largely kicked by eating more during dinner. but that afternoon snack... it this point in time they are primal approved but still too much.
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis67 View Post
            I've had the same experience. So many foods I used to gorge myself on are now absolutely disgusting. They have all kinds of strange, almost metallic flavors, or are sickeningly sweet, or have a texture I associate with cheap fats. Many of them smell wrong, too. These days, I walk through the supermarket and marvel at all the edible things for sale that are, in my mind, not food. Things that used to tempt me now repel me.

It takes time to get there, however. And I admit that I still find myself craving things I know are awful, that would be disgusting or make me sick if I were to eat them. At those times, I ask myself, "What is it, in that craving, that you are really after? What desire, or perhaps even nutritional need, is trying to be satisfied?" I assume that I don't actually want the food I'm thinking about, but that food contains a low-quality version of what I'm really after.

Pancakes, for example. I used to crave them, and would eat them for dinner, soaked in butter and syrup. They always left me feeling horribly bloated and sleepy--of all the foods I ever ate, they made me feel the absolute worst--but I ate them anyway.

Since I do VLC, I now look at occasional cravings for pancakes (or bread, or pasta, or pastry) as a signal that eating some starch would be a good idea. So I'll cook a sweet potato or yam, eat it with butter, cinnamon, and maybe a tiny bit of syrup, and it satisfies that craving without leaving me sick and bloated. I'll roast a couple of small red potatoes and eat them with butter or olive oil and lots of salt, rather than go get fries from a fast-food place.

A need for more salt (at least for me) often disguises itself as cravings for chips or fast food. I don't restrict my use of salt, but I still consume far less than I did when I was eating a lot of processed foods. So when those cravings hit, I'll make myself something very salty, and the craving goes away.

So next time, look at a craving and ask it, "What do you really want? Salt? Starch/sugars? Fat? A combination of these? And how might I satisfy that in a healthful way that helps me feel good?"
            I really like this tactic. Totally going to try that next time a craving hits, though I'll have to play around with what exactly it is. Crunchy things are my big craving (and chocolate, but that one’s easy mmm). I know I don't do electrolytes well. Salt just makes me nauseas, always has, so I’d really like to figure out what my good balance is and how to keep it.

Comment

I will attempt to answer the original question, in my own diet:

1) Scenario playing: I do this pretty much all the time with my diet, and I have not found anything yet that mimics it for results (low BF) and staying positive.....Last week was a "meat only" weekend, meant to simulate what would like occur after a big kill took place. In my real life, it was because I had recently killed my final deer of the season, after slaughtering 25 rabbits last week. I didn't want to eat ALL of that frozen, so I took four days where meat was pretty much the only thing I ate. I did have some veg with the preparations, but overall about 98% meat....this weekend has been a lot of crappy food, due to family being around, eating out, having a huge Thanksgiving day feast....and I will tell you what, I don't feel one ounce of guilt over it. I had 3-4 days of all meat, followed by a fruit and broth bout for the midweek for 2 days....between this, 2 meals of crap is not going to make a big dent. The SO loves it too, which is the amazing part.

2) Fasting. Nothing turns away any bad feelings I had over food like just plain no cals for awhile.

Either way, don't feel bad.....everything in moderation, including moderation
              "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I find often it is not the food I want, it is the feeling behind what the food. The freedom to just grab a sandwich and run, the ease of eating out and not butchering menus and ticking off waitresses. Finding another way to replace those feelings is going to the be the challenge. (I am just starting out on primal)

Also, I don't crave sweet as much as I crave texture. The "paleo faux food" may help with that (paleo-ized cakes, and cookies) I am hoping.

Comment

Working...
                X